• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Sr7ICyp.gif

I smile every time

Crocodile

The big issue seem to have (Alucard on a boat) is established in the anime even if it's a quick line that most people missed, the other major problem really isn't anything that would be in Bram Stoker's Dracula (invasion of England is illogical for reasons).

And I don't agree that "derp don't think" isn't always a bad plot point if the story itself acknowledges that it's not relevant. IE some stories will have a line like "it'll take too much to explain how this works" the point isn't that they can't explain it, but why it happened isn't important it's just what's getting us to what were focused on. Why/How England got invaded by Nazi Vampires isn't the focus of the show, the show is about Nazi vampires are here and their wrecking England. Yes we could have had scenes of seeing undercover nazi vampires shutting down communication, attacking all the military bases, knocking down planes/missiles meant to shoot down the zeppelins, etc. Hellsing Ultimate COULD show us these things, but in the end of the day it's not important to show, the point stays the same if they show these scenes or go "communications are down and there are traitors everywhere" and get to the main focus of the story, nazi vampires wrecking England.

I understand the concept of Applied Phlebotinum but I'm not calling bullshit on the finer workings of the mystical elements (though they did do such a poor job explaining them and expected so much outside knowledge that they went over the head of at least half this thread) but rather why some subset of characters aren't taking the logical actions expected by human adults. In no way do I expect the British Air Force or whoever to defeat Millennium (they'll be fodder most likely) but they never even ENGAGED them and I find that to be baffling. I get why it was done (too show how badass Millennium and then the Hellsing crew/Ischariots are) but it is an example of something done not because it would make any sense but because it was cool? However, cool and sensical don't have to be at odds. Downed communications and spies aren't enough to rationally explain a complete absence of a military response. That's what I took issue with. It obviously isn't an issue that breaks the show but its still something I notice that pulls me out of the show.

I understand the concept of Applied Phlebotinum but I'm not calling bullshit on the finer workings of the mystical elements (though they did do such a poor job explaining them and expected so much outside knowledge that they went over the head of at least half this thread) but rather why some subset of characters aren't taking the logical actions expected by human adults. In no way do I expect the British Air Force or whoever to defeat Millennium (they'll be fodder most likely) but they never even ENGAGED them and I find that to be baffling. I get why it was done (too show how badass Millennium and then the Hellsing crew/Ischariots are) but it is an example of something done not because it would make any sense but because it was cool? However, cool and sensical don't have to be at odds. Downed communications and spies aren't enough to rationally explain a complete absence of a military response. That's what I took issue with. It obviously isn't an issue that breaks the show but its still something I notice that pulls me out of the show.

Exactly, it was a suspension of disbelief that pulled me as a viewer out of the action for a bit. Instead of being engaged in the story I started to question why certain things were/weren't happening.

Seda

Wait do they find it too slow or too fast?

Too slow is the criticism I hear from time to time.

Personally, I kinda enjoy how things are a bit 'relaxed' while also maintaining some tense atmosphere at times. I mean, there's a lot of 'action before and after this part, so having a period where things aren't rapid fire all the time is appreciated.

I'm also a big fan of Kimblee and General Armstrong, so that's probably a part of it too. I also like the dialogue exchanges.

Too slow is the criticism I hear from time to time.

Personally, I kinda enjoy how things are a bit 'relaxed' while also maintaining some tense atmosphere at times. I mean, there's a lot of 'action before and after this part, so having a period where things aren't rapid fire all the time is appreciated.

I'm also a big fan of Kimblee and General Armstrong, so that's probably a part of it too. I also like the dialogue exchanges.

Gotcha, I can see why someone could complain, but I agree with what you said about this part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom