• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only a few months from more LIQUID SNAKE.

Also this is when I started lurking and watching the occasional Bleach episode.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
okay skipped to what was supposed to be the next non-filler One Piece episode, but the first half of the episode was still the end of the last story

so that was annoying

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying - Episode 5

tumblr_inline_ndtt4nJMYm1r4i3wp.jpg

TTykpvM.png

Kgf7Ywx.png
OBrU9K3.png
oNMfqot.png
jbmYP4y.png

Season four of Star Wars: The Clone Wars begins with everyone’s favorite thing: politics! You see, episode 67 takes place on Mon Calamari, and it gets convoluted right off the bat. The Mon Calamari people (yes, that’s the name of the people, too, and of the entire star system, for that matter) have a murdered king on their hands and a whole lot of civil unrest because the next in line is Prince Lee-Char (the yellow guy), who’s just a kid. The Quarren (the squid-looking ones) do not support the idea of another Mon Calamari king, let alone a king so young, and want to crown one of their own as ruler of the planet. Both of the major forces in the galaxy are here to observe this conflict: the Republic, in the form of Anakin and Padme in silly diving suits, and the Separatists, the shark guy who looks like a fishman from One Piece (I’m gonna call him “Gran Bruce.”) Also along for the ride because everybody has to know everybody is Mr. “It’s a Trap!” himself, Admiral Ackbar! He’s just a captain at this point, though. He explains on a call to the Jedi Council that civil war is inevitable, and the Council promises to sound some clones, Ahsoka, and Kit Fisto (hehe) for backup.

GV6443q.png
06wv60n.png

Later, in one of the clunkiest exposition dumps I’ve ever seen, a Mon Calamari senator tells Ackbar that he is now the personal guard for Lee-Char, who is in charge of the entire army for some reason. Then the following happens, verbatim:

Lee-Char gives a speech about finding a peaceful solution and concludes with, “I do not believe the Quarren will attack.”

Gran Bruce, the Quarren, and some underwater droids swim to the city. Gran Bruce shouts, “Attack!”

Ackbar and Lee-Char swim up to a window. Ackbar says, “It’s an attack!”

Anyway, this culminates in some of the largest battle scenes on the show so far. Their scale is impressive, with lasers firing everywhere and hordes of people on each side. Lee-Char eventually appears on the battlefield next to Anakin and Padme. Ackbar defers command to the prince, a decision that Anakin protests; he insists that the kid needs to be taken somewhere safe, but Ackbar chooses to adhere to tradition and says the prince is the only one allowed to make such decisions. Then this verbal conflict just kinda…sputters out. Ackbar leaves to lead the troops, while Anakin and Padme hang out with Lee-Char, who is still determined to take part in the battle. He decides that the best decision is to flank the enemy, leading Anakin, Padme, and three or four redshirts through one of the tubes used to traverse the massive underwater city. Debris falls on the tube and kills the redshirts. I’m not sure what the point of this scene is supposed to illustrate.

BJe8NGq.png
D5qQmeO.png

Soon, Ahsoka, and Kit Fisto (hehe) arrive with clone reinforcements to add even more numbers to the already massive battle. We get some shots of various characters shooting stuff and riding around on what can best be described as underwater jet skis, while Gran Bruce swims around doing shark things to attack his enemies and the Lee-Char mopes about being useless. Anakin loses his helmet in one scene and has to fight off the Quarren as Ahsoka retrieves it before she goes off to help the prince. Gran Bruce comes after Lee-Char and does more shark things like smash his head repeatedly against the glass tubes until they break, but some Mon Calamari troops manage to distract him (and die) long enough for Ahsoka and the prince to escape. When Gran Bruce swims around attacking people, he grunts and shouts, which is kind of hilarious because his voice really doesn’t seem to fit a scary shark man. This is a guy you expect to sound like Keith David or something, and even though Gran Bruce’s voice isn’t high it’s not as deep as it probably should be.

qf1lx3X.png
REfssCA.png
cLQhhFl.png
NTlGoO0.png

Night falls and the Quarren retreat. Gran Bruce reveals his secret weapon, something no water dwellers would ever expect or be able to fight against: jellyfish. Yes, they’re technically bio-mechanical hybrids and absolutely massive, but still. The Republic troops and the Mon Calamari prove to be able to defend against the jellyfish as the Separatists droids renew their attack. Well, all except Kit Fisto (hehe), who manages to destroy one by crashing a jet ski into it and does this really fucking creepy smile. Aware that they’re outmatched, Lee-Char orders everyone to just keep swimming the hell away from those jellyfish and to retreat into a cave system. In the aftermath, the Quarren finally arrive, quite late to the party. It appears their leader is having some second thoughts. We cut to Ackbar spouting some lesson about living to fight another day before the credits roll.

The battles here are undeniably impressive, but there isn't much of a story to tie things together. Clone Wars's method of throwing you in the middle of action has really hurt things here; it's hard to care at all about the prince or his leadership problems because we haven't gotten to know him. The episode works as a showcase for underwater battles, but that's about it. And even then it's a gimmick that wears a little thin by the end.

Grade: B-

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So they basically just re-did the Tartakovsky Clone Wars ep with Kit Fisto with a bigger budget?

Levyne

Banned
WORTHWHILE POST INCOMING (maybe)

People are listing the Noizoimi (or however it is) arc as a good filler arc in the Off-topic thread D:

Though I suppose the couple people that mentioned it are mostly praising the animation during the arc, which I agree was pretty great. And relative to the other Bleach filler I guess it's not worse.

WORTHWHILE POST INCOMING (maybe)

People are listing the Noizoimi (or however it is) arc as a good filler arc in the Off-topic thread D:

Though I suppose the couple people that mentioned it are mostly praising the animation during the arc, which I agree was pretty great. And relative to the other Bleach filler I guess it's not worse.

should probably mention that there's gifs of the Ginjo/Ichigo fight next episode

also holy shit, this InuYasha filler episode is stupid.

Shippo literally has an entire conversation with Kagome about how he thinks they're in a trap rather than stopping InuYasha from triggering it.

He's a guest at the con I'm going to for the weekend and he'll have two Q&A panels. If I don't make it to the one on Friday, I'll go to the one on Sunday. So if you want me to ask him something, post

Raxus

He's a guest at the con I'm going to for the weekend and he'll have two Q&A panels. If I don't make it to the one on Friday, I'll go to the one on Sunday. So if you want me to ask him something, post
When is DBZ airing?

He'll probably throw something at you.

Seda

One of Bleach's tendencies that probably annoys me most is how, during combat sequences, they always delve into excruciating detail about what their abilities are, how they can counter the other's abilities, 'keikakus' and whatnot.

I remember once somebody (Gucci?) saying that all shonen does this, which is true to some extent, but Bleach ratchets it up a notch or two or three.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
"Jump Towards the Falls! Luffy's Feelings!"

fuck

One Piece:
robryansad.gif

Those episodes aren't that bad, especially for Toonami viewers who might have missed it. Now watching the "jump to the falls" scene 6 weeks in a row, 5 of which are out of context... that's gonna be the rough part of those episodes. It'll be like Toonami's version of endless eight!

TV-Y7

fuck
Not sure what you expected. The events of that episode were censored since 1999.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One of Bleach's tendencies that probably annoys me most is how, during combat sequences, they always delve into excruciating detail about what their abilities are, how they can counter the other's abilities, 'keikakus' and whatnot.

I remember once somebody (Gucci?) saying that all shonen does this, which is true to some extent, but Bleach ratchets it up a notch or two or three.

The Bleach manga has actually gotten EVEN WORSE about this of late, if you can believe that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

It's basically intentional at this point. Characters will reference that trope happening but continue on doing it themselves without hesitation. Sometimes I can't tell if Bleach is just that routine with its tropes or if it's become a parody of itself.

Nah, bruh. Bleach is the only manga I know that will occasionally spend three or four pages explaining one ability.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
With December approaching, I'm curious if Viz and Aniplex will allow movies this year, or if it will be 4 weeks of Funimation again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, what Aniplex stuff could they air? The Gurren Lagann movies aren't dubbed (sadly), Persona 3 The Movie could work, I'd totally be up for Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack, Blue Exorcist The Movie seems very possible....

...only other movie Aniplex has the rights to is Anohana and that's more emotional than action (from what I've heard).

......oh & I guess SAO Extra Edition since it takes place between SAO & SAO 2. But that's not out until 12/23, so probably won't happen.......yet....

Edit: Meanwhile, at Funimation.....

Do any of you guys know if Toonami is gonna be airing those "Strawhat Theater" mini-episodes? In the original run, those started airing after the episode that is coming up in about two weeks.

BatDan

Do any of you guys know if Toonami is gonna be airing those "Strawhat Theater" mini-episodes? In the original run, those started airing after the episode that is coming up in about two weeks.

I hope we do. It'd be something to get people to keep watching.

BatDan

Huh...
For years, I thought the reason we got the upcoming five-episode recap was due to One Piece moving from Wednesday to Sunday. But looking up the Wiki, One Piece had been airing on Sundays since 2001.

Now I'm really wondering what the point was.

Grexeno

Huh...
For years, I thought the reason we got the upcoming five-episode recap was due to One Piece moving from Wednesday to Sunday. But looking up the Wiki, One Piece had been airing on Sundays since 2001.

I think it changed times on Sunday.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Basically we get 5 weeks of recaps that start like they're gonna be a new episode, then after 2 minutes it shows a random flash back. Repeat this 4 more times

Basically episodes 279-283 all contain shots from what will be episode 284, just kind of mixed up a bit and used as framing devices for the character flashbacks that take up the rest of the episode. Then when we actually get to episode 284, guess what. We get to do all of it again, this time for real!

If you think that sounds bad, consider the fact that when this happened in Japan, the show also took nearly two full months off prior to it. Or more accurately, it was four weeks between the first Robin backstory episode and the second one, and then another two weeks from that episode until 277 and 278 ran as an hour long double episode. Then 5 weeks of flashbacks, followed by an episode comprised mainly of material that had been interspersed throughout those previous 5 episodes.

Needless to say, August-to-November 2006 was a pretty shitty time to try to be following the One Piece anime in Japan.

At least you guys are going to get to see it all in a row....maybe. There is always the possibility that we'll lose One Piece airings in December to movies. :D

daveo42

Banned
Huh...

I always thought they put them to do a bit of extra padding between the first and 2nd part of the arc without resorting to actual filler. It works out fairly well as just straight character recap.

I think it changed times on Sunday.

This might be a part of it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom