• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you're talking about the dub and at least nobody is completely phoning it in from the clips I've seen, unlike later Bleach where half the cast is clearly sick of the show and is phoning it in

Probably the biggest problem with Psycho Pass is that it has no sense of subtly, it starts off in the first episode hitting you in the head with a lead pipe to beat it's main theme into your head. It also has a very GitS SAC/2nd Gig quality to it's episode structure a lot of scenes of techno babble and overly long world building scenes.

the actress for Akane has no emotion. she did the same thing for Eruka Frog in Soul Eater, only there I assumed it was supposed to be part of the character. same goes for Makishima (for him it could be intentional but it doesn't sound that way) and the hunting guy. Ginoza is horribly miscast. Kogami is better than the rest but still flat.

and the thing with Ghost in the Shell is that its dialogue at least serves a point. Psycho-Pass seems like it goes on about nothing because it doesn't trust the viewers to figure stuff out themselves.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just finished episode 52 of one piece

wut

It looks like Space Dandy was a more important show then first realized.
you thought we were kidding about Dandy saving anime?

Lich King going off

hR9cdfL.png

truth bombs everywhere

the actress for Akane has no emotion

Just going off the few episodes of the Japanese version I watched along with the main concept of the show and Akane's character leads me to think that was a very deliberate choice by the dub team one I totally get.

Gorillaz

Dandy and the bae really were out here saving Anime. Hell even the soundtrack is doing a little saving as well

Psycho-Pass seems like it goes on about nothing because it doesn't trust the viewers to figure stuff out themselves.
This is better wording then I wrote. I still enjoyed it but it did feel very shallow and afraid to either go deeper into it's own plot or the writers themselves weren't crafty enough to do it. Possibly the latter

well see part 2 just started so I'll give it a chance
52kIF.png

Just going off the few episodes of the Japanese version I watched along with the main concept of the show and Akane's character leads me to think that was a very deliberate choice by the dub team one I totally get.

there''s a difference between acting with little emotion that's intentional and acting with little emotion because you can't read your lines very well.

This is better wording then I wrote. I still enjoyed it but it did feel very shallow and afraid to either go deeper into it's own plot or the writers themselves weren't crafty enough to do it. Possibly the latter

That and when you start episode 1 with
girl getting kidnapped, raped, and tortured then to have the guy who did it blow up right in front of her and literally have his blood and guts fly onto her body which leads to her reasonably freaking the fuck out, gets labeled a dangerous threat that must be killed
where exactly do you go from there? As I said before this should have been a late season 1 climax episode that pushes things down the
is this really okay? Are we doing the right thing with this psycho pass?
instead of pushing that element into the back ground with other episodes which have far less severity in what's going on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, that is pretty much why I dropped Psyco-Pass pretty quickly, it isn't even a matter of the characters seeing nothing wrong with this, PP decided to go an answer a central question that needed to remain unanswered for the viewer.

Yea, that is pretty much why I dropped Psyco-Pass pretty quickly, it isn't even a matter of the characters seeing nothing wrong with this, PP decided to go an answer a central question that needed to remain unanswered for the viewer.

DING DING DING

PP should have left the concept of
is the whole psycho pass/pre judging people on their emotions right? Is the society we live in truly a great modern peaceful one or is it a 1984/The Giver future
the show basically gives you the answer in episode 1 and then tries to back track like it didn't happen. It's mind boggling how at no point someone didn't say "hey maybe this shouldn't be our first episode"

Htown

One Piece episode 53

Why can't I hold all these devil fruits?

also please tell me we get some resolution on who Deus Ex Machina Man is

DING DING DING

is the whole psycho pass/pre judging people on their emotions right? Is the society we live in truly a great modern peaceful one or is it a 1984/The Giver future
the show basically gives you the answer in episode 1 and then tries to back track like it didn't happen. It's mind boggling how at no point someone didn't say "hey maybe this shouldn't be our first episode"

It's weird, because the show never really goes back to that again after the first episode. They acknowledge that it sucks again later, but for completely different reasons.

Gorillaz

DING DING DING

It's weird, because the show never really goes back to that again after the first episode. They acknowledge that it sucks again later, but for completely different reasons.

Damn actually almost forgot about that first scene because when I tried to watch it I was half paying attention at the time.

I assume they did it for a 2edgy4yall type of thing to ring people in. Probably the wrong way about handling it since it basically fucks with the overall premise of the show from the getgo

daveo42

Banned
One Piece episode 53

Why can't I hold all these devil fruits?

also please tell me we get some resolution on who Deus Ex Machina Man is

This is the fun of One Piece. You'll get to meet him again. Also, if you aren't already following a guide and are skipping filler, you can skip over to around the middle of episode 61.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait isn't that wrong about (One Piece Spoilers)
meeting him again? Or is he on the boat that picks up Sabo, I can't remember. All I remember is that the anime is far less ambiguous about Sabo surviving, not that it was ever really in question.
?

Htown

This is the fun of One Piece. You'll get to meet him again. Also, if you aren't already following a guide and are skipping filler, you can skip over to around the middle of episode 61.

yeah, i'm skipping filler now

just got to the first big filler arc

gonna skip

going to probably skip them all except whatever that G-8 one is that everyone says is actually good

but that's like 150 episodes down the line from where I am

daveo42

Banned
Wait isn't that wrong about (One Piece Spoilers)
meeting him again? Or is he on the boat that picks up Sabo, I can't remember. All I remember is that the anime is far less ambiguous about Sabo surviving, not that it was ever really in question.
?

One Piece Spoiler:
He's the one that saves Sabo and is shown in the boat after Celestial Dragon's incoming vessel that blows Sabo's boat up. He does get brought up a few times though, at the end of this arc and in almost every subsequent through to the timeskip.

Edit: was slightly off on one point there.

Wait isn't that wrong about (One Piece Spoilers) ?

I think HTown was looking for an explanation of who he is, not when he next shows up in the story, which MetatronM's answer is when he next shows up, your spoiler jumped WAAAAAAAY further into the series nor does it really answer HTown's question when that scene does happen

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece Spoiler:
He's the one that saves Sabo and is shown in the boat after Celestial Dragon's incoming vessel that blows Sabo's boat up. He does get brought up a few times though, at the end of this arc and in almost every subsequent through to the timeskip.

Edit: was slightly off on one point there.

Well yeah,
he does get brought up from time to time, most importantly immediately after this arc ends when we learn who he is.

Htown

I just really wanted to know if we ever got a real explanation for who that guy is and what was up with that entirely bullshit rescue.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just really wanted to know if we ever got a real explanation for who that guy is and what was up with that entirely bullshit rescue.

Yes (spoiler for when if you want to know, just a time, nothing else.)
immediately at the end of this arc.

Regiruler

Still saying Arc-V should come to Toonami.

Regardless though CN is probably picking up the show in some way or another. It's the only place left for it because it's not like Disney wants it anymore.

daveo42

Banned
There's a perfect one...in about 3 years...because itself is a spoiler.

I think I know what scene you are talking about specifically. Sadly, knowing where this arc is, I went and watched one of my favorite episodes of all time. I still can't believe we are still about 3 years from that on Toonami.

Edit: Yup...that's the scene.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They will suck next year.

Kinda of like the New York Giants only with one more victory in recent years. It's amazing each time it happens.

Levyne

Banned
Didn't have a dog in the race, but wanted the Royals to win, just because they hadn't in a long time. That said, I know a lot of Giants fans so I'm happy to see them happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom