• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
QPjfWhM.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Passed out before Naruto. Caught up on the last hour.
Good morning everyone.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
The fight between Goku and Freeza truly begins! The power is immense, massive craters in the planet are made, and penis mushroom clouds!

Akame ga Kill:
"My name is Lubbock, and I'm clearly reading off a script" Good lord this direction...
We meet the Jaegers (insert Pacific Rim or Attack on Titan joke here), who are kind of the rival/villain group of the series I guess. Only Bols seems to have a decent voice, holy crap Wave's is terrible.
And the ending has one of the dumbest aspects of the series. One of the major villains is in love with the main protagonist.

Parasyte:
Mincemeat Murders!
The parasites are spreading far and fast, apparently they're all over the world now (but like most anime, we only focus on Japan)
Also, Migi's a bastard.

Michiko & Hatchin:
I thought a Hatchin focused episode would be good, the last few were. This one was just boring. Maybe next week will be better.

Naruto Shippuden:
ANIMATION! GLORIOUS ANIMATION!
Pierrot is so weird when it comes to fight scenes. We can have great ones like this episode, but also really shitty ones like Team Guy fighting their clones back in the Rescue Gaara arc.
How did Disney XD handle this arc?

One Piece:
Probably the least annoying of the three filler episodes. But it doesn't help that it's a Naoki Tate episode and the art looks melted. Checking the One Piece Wiki, his last episode is 455 so it's been a long time since he's actually done work on the show (this is excluding 542, a crazy non-canon Toriko crossover)
Next time we're back to canon!

Seda

This week's Michiko & Hatchin was ... hard to watch.

I've been generally positive on this show, as I appreciate its style of exposition and actually find interest in flawed characters. The puppy love went from intentionally awkward to cringe really fast. The metaphors with the book were pretty darn silly and the memory subplot was incredibly blunt.

Most importantly, if the show's focus is going to center on a gradually growing relationship between the titular characters, having them fall back to old habits ~3 episodes after their reunion is ... frustrating. I'm still quite interested in seeing where this will go, however.

This week's Michiko & Hatchin was ... hard to watch.

I've been generally positive on this show, as I appreciate its style of exposition and actually find interest in flawed characters. The puppy love went from intentionally awkward to cringe really fast. The metaphors with the book were pretty darn silly and the memory subplot was incredibly blunt.

Most importantly, if the show's focus is going to center on a gradually growing relationship between the titular characters, having them fall back to old habits ~3 episodes after their reunion is ... frustrating. I'm still quite interested in seeing where this will go, however.

I feel like this is the crux of my problem with the show, the characters start to grow in their relationship in one scene and then after that they're right back to how they were previously all the growth thrown out the window. We've now seen 15 out of 22 episodes and the leads still interact like they're strangers and this supposed mother daughter relationship the series wants me to but into just isn't happening.

Amikami

Banned
Was out all saturday so didn't get a change to watch toonami but I'll report I did see Boruto yesterday, and it was pretty badass.

So I didn't see anyone mention it before but the first week of Intruder 2 is also the same week Goku will go SSJ on Toonami.

Coicidence? Or conspiracy?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys, I just realized. We missed the chance to make SOOOOO many Borderlands jokes when we were introduced to Bols in Akame ga Kill. Doesn't he remind you of that one guy on all the Borderlands covers?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Guys, I just realized. We missed the chance to make SOOOOO many Borderlands jokes when we were introduced to Bols in Akame ga Kill. Doesn't he remind you of that one guy on all the Borderlands covers?

So I was watching all of TOONAMI with a friend while playing some MH3U of all things and he made constant, nonstop, Borderlands jokes during AGK. A good time was had.

So the voice acting in both Akame Ga Kill and Parasyte got worse last night right? (Parasyte is still kind of alright.)

It wasn't just me?

Seda

So the voice acting in both Akame Ga Kill and Parasyte got worse last night right? (Parasyte is still kind of alright.)

It wasn't just me?

Akame yes.

Parasyte is a step up but the main's voice is somewhat awkward. I suppose that might be intentional because he's a dweebish character and that kinda fits ... but his 'exclamations' sound forced. Not sure if it's necessarily the acting, more that actor's natural voice might simply be too low pitched.

Parasyte does still have the periodic 'read straight off the script' line here&there to remind you it's a Sentai dub.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Last night's Akame summed up everything wrong with its dub. Parasyte is still better, but yes, it does have some moments that kind of take you out & reminds you it's by Sentai, like when Shinichi tries to be more serious (i.e. when he was telling the kids to not pick on the cat).

Satomi is.....okay, I guess? I think it's more of "oh man, I KNOW you can do better, Nami's VA" than anything.

Moaradin

Last night's Akame summed up everything wrong with its dub. Parasyte is still better, but yes, it does have some moments that kind of take you out & reminds you it's by Sentai, like when Shinichi tries to be more serious (i.e. when he was telling the kids to not pick on the cat).

Satomi is.....okay, I guess? I think it's more of "oh man, I KNOW you can do better, Nami's VA" than anything.

This part worries me. Very awkward delivery. Not a good sign for the more dramatic parts later on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, we're gonna have to wait a bit to truly see how Sentai handles the dub when it comes to certain characters, but like I've said, I don't want to try & hint/tease at anything, which is why I've kept quiet about my skepticism of the dub. I do my best to make posts seem like I'm watching it for the first time along with others, save for certain moments (like last night's Parasyte) I can't wait to see reactions to & only then, I'll post when said moment happens.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Any episode that features Mine and Tatsumaki heavily is going to be a voice acting disaster.

I enjoyed the OP filler more than I thought I would after how bad the Zoro one was last night. AgK was complete garbage except for the hilarious twist at the end and M to H was just disappointing after how solid its been for the last few weeks.

Besides DBZ and this arc specifically in Shippuden, its still currently the best show on the block, though that's not saying much at this point. At least Michiko, even with how flawed/fucked up of a character she can get, is still a much more interesting character to watch than our block of boring shonen protagonists.

Edit: I almost forgot about Parasyte. I really don't know what to feel about this show. It seems just like another edgy show that we've seen in AoT and AgK, but its only been two episodes so I can't say for sure. I guess its ok so far, especially for something that's from the 80's, but there's really not much to say other than it at least looks nice thanks to Madhouse.

Actually, I can say that wow this soundtrack borders on pretty good to fucking garbage.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Sanji filler reminds me an awful lot of the Lougetown filler in that its lighthearted but tries its best to do a fun little bit of non-canon™ world building and leaves the viewer with a plausible non-canon™ explanation of what the all-blue might actually be.

Edit: I almost forgot about Parasyte. I really don't know what to feel about this show. It seems just like another edgy show that we've seen in AoT and AgK, but its only been two episodes so I can't say for sure. I guess its ok so far, especially for something that's from the 80's, but there's really not much to say other than it at least looks nice thanks to Madhouse.

Why would Parasyte be "edgy"? Since it's basically John Carpenter's version of The Thing, they probably have grounds to revel in the blood and gore to an even greater degree than they actually do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a great October show, that's for sure. The VA isn't entertainingly bad though, just not very good.

I also loved M&H this week, but only because the person whom I was watching it with and I decided independently that the bookstore owner was lying about the memory loss thing in the oddest play ever, and that kept us entertained through the second half.

Why would Parasyte be "edgy"? Since it's basically John Carpenter's version of The Thing, they probably have grounds to revel in the blood and gore to an even greater degree than they actually do.

I didn't mean to use edgy in a derogatory form to take away from the show, it just seems like right now the gore/violence/sexual harassment is there just for shock value/entertainment purposes similar to AgK and AoT (without the sexual harassment part for AoT).

Considering the premise of parasites, its totally justified to have body horror, but I just want it to actually be for a reason that's meaningful.

I didn't mean to use edgy in a derogatory form to take away from the show, it just seems like right now the gore/violence/sexual harassment is there just for shock value/entertainment purposes similar to AgK and AoT (without the sexual harassment part for AoT).

True I guess, but I mean, it was a horror manga and all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I really miss Season 2, felt like just about every episode was great, save for the semi-final episode in court.

Hell, put it at 3:30 for another re-run slot, I would totally stay up & watch it (then again, I already have to stay up until 7 a.m.)

True I guess, but I mean, it was a horror manga and all.

Its probably just a me thing, but I like horror to have more of meaningful reason for existing and not just to get reactions out of the viewers. I'm not a big fan of horror genre for that reason since I only like it when its used very sparingly, or if its mixed in with psychological works like how Silent Hill is.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lich King said 2016 would be even bigger than these past two years and man, if they get either GBF or HxH I'd actually believe him.

Its probably just a me thing, but I like horror to have more of meaningful reason for existing and not just to get reactions out of the viewers. I'm not a big fan of horror genre for that reason since I only like it when its used very sparingly, or if its mixed in with psychological works like how Silent Hill is.

Parasyte, save for a few good scenes, doesn't have much in regards to psychology sadly.

There is one scene coming up that I thought was really smart, but overall, ehhh.

The scene in question is
when Shinichi meets another person like him. And his "Migi" is vastly different from Shinichi's. And the reason for why they're different is reasonably clever.

Parasyte, save for a few good scenes, doesn't have much in regards to psychology sadly.

There is one scene coming up that I thought was really smart, but overall, ehhh.

Eh, I'm not really expecting much from it. Before the show started I mentioned that at the least it can still be an interesting watch. I've had friends hype it up for me, so I'm still interested to see why people like it so much.

Lich King said 2016 would be even bigger than these past two years and man, if they get either GBF or HxH I'd actually believe him.

HxH and even Jojo would be massive for Toonami.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If 2016 is suppose to be bigger than these last two years, maybe we'll get another simudub cast like with Space Dandy, but with a bigger name (wasn't a new Gundam announced?).

How many more weeks until Intruder 2 airs? Wasn't it Nov.?

Grexeno

I'm curious on why you think this. It's not an old show like ZZ or Gundam X, nor was it poorly received like the POS that is Gundam Age. I think it has a good shot at getting dubbed.
Because it's getting a physical release without a dub. They won't go back and dub it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom