• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Come on dude, all they did was lop off three hours of repeats that no one watched. When they start cutting into new shows, then we'll be at Severe.

I don't know if we were straight up at "Severe" but people here (and I assume elsewhere since this is one of the saner Toonami communities online) were definitely on edge after the contraction. Especially since it seemed to come out of the blue.

I'm here to tell you guys that a lot of people believe Parasyte isn't doing well just because the premiere didn't get over a million despite the fact it only lost less than 100k from Akame ga Kill.

I'm here to tell you guys that a lot of people believe Parasyte isn't doing well just because the premiere didn't get over a million despite the fact it only lost less than 100k from Akame ga Kill.

There's a few reasons why their line of reasoning is probably wrong. One, we don't know how much it cost to license Parasyte in comparison to other shows. Two, we don't if the show is attracting the audience that Toonami wants.

Honestly, we have no idea how the financial business side of Toonami works at all. We really don't.

With that in mind, Parasyte could be doing really well.

There's a few reasons why their line of reasoning is probably wrong. One, we don't know how much it cost to license Parasyte in comparison to other shows. Two, we don't if the show is attracting the audience that Toonami wants.

Honestly, we have no idea how the financial business side of Toonami works at all. We really don't.

With that in mind, Parasyte could be doing really well.

Well, I know they've said that they recognize Toonami's ratings are generally going to trend downward as the night goes on, so if Parasyte is actually doing poorly (which I doubt) then it's actually Akame ga Kill that's dropping the ball since the loss between the two is so small.

Really people just operate on this "million or not a million" logic that annoys the shit out of me and makes me wish we didn't actually have access to ratings.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You should see the original then, the designs were updated
You'd think there'd be more comparison pics considering the original art style, but it's hard to find something from early on & doesn't spoil anything.

Here's Migi in the manga:

ki01_020a.jpg

I guess here's Shinichi. Yes, he didn't have any glasses in the manga.

parasyte.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
honestly i kinda wish they kept the old art style and left it in the 80s
Technically, while it did release/start in 1988, it finished in 1995, so it spend more time in the '90s than '80s, though yes, the manga's art style seemed a bit more.....I guess "fitting" is what pops to mind, considering the overall tone & concept of the series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
tumblr_inline_nhfoo83nLG1rwdvss.jpg

That was the best I could find of Murano & glasses girl (who ALSO didn't wear glasses in the manga it seems). You can tell they really changed Shinichi & Murano to better "suit" today's anime style.

I typically find modernizing art makes it look weird, because they typically end up in the middle of trying to look new and stay true to the original.

Parasyte's human characters generally look fine.

It's the Parasites themselves that kinda look a bit meh. Migi for example doesn't look scary enough early on when it is supposed to. They made Migi too cute. The math teacher from last week didn't look scary where she saw Shinichi either.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think that's more of an issue when you try to turn a manga's art style that's more darker & such into anime. I remember Gantz just lost some of its appeal when trying to watch the anime version because it lost part of what made the manga interesting to read: how the art style helped with the tone & such. Things were too colorful in contrast to what was happening.

Though I will say Parasyte doesn't suffer as much compared to Gantz.

I think the fact there are several people who find the designs of the parasytes in the anime to be creepy I can't even imagine how they'd react if they had gone 80s manga style

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Goku lays it all on the line and pushes himself to the limit with a 20x Kaioken, Dr. Stylish launches a stylish attack on Night Raid, Shinichi and Migi throw down with Mr. A, Hatchin gets taken in by a Chinese opera singer, Sakura and Sai back up Shikamaru against Hidan while Naruto prepares to reveal his newest jutsu, the Straw Hats receive their new ship but Franky is nowhere to be found, and Ryuko and Mako close out the night with a race against time to homeroom.

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 44 - A Boundary-Pushing Brawl! Goku, Frieza, and Ginyu Again!?
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 45 - Kaio-Ken Times Twenty! An All-Or-Nothing Kamehame-Ha!
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 11 - Kill the Mad Scientist
1:00 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 4 - Tangled Hair
1:30 - Michiko e Hatchin - 17 - Buckets of Blood! Opera that Stirs the Heart
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 87 - When You Curse Someone, You Dig Your Own Grave
2:30 - One Piece - 321 - The King of Animals that Overlooks the Sea! The Dream Ship Magnificently Completed!
3:00 - KILL la KILL - 4 - Dawn of a Miserable Morning

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
damn, forgot there was OP filler this week.

Next week's a marathon so no episode, but the episode airing in two weeks has some pretty clutch animation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
rainy as hell down here, might have to stream over the internet instead of watch on satellite

how well does the adult swim simulcast stream usually hold up?

rainy as hell down here, might have to stream over the internet instead of watch on satellite

how well does the adult swim simulcast stream usually hold up?

generally it's ok. don't know if it's just a me thing, but sometimes it buffers when it brings up the "COMMERCIAL BREAK STAY TUNED" screen for whatever reason and I'll need to refresh after a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom