• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
October topic? It's still September!

FxWnUvV.gif

LOLDSFAN

Having the new thread start 2 days before hand is unacceptable. UNACCEPTABLE!

Oh and I'm surprised I actually charted this time around considered I missed 2 weeks and haven't really posted much since I've moved and started working full-time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think it was three weeks.

The week where the title changed.
The week where I live posted.
The week after that.

Seda

Toonami Faithful posted the podcast where Jason joined again (same one where he reveals Kill la Kill rerunning, which the fansite announced separately before actually posting the podcast in full)

• Happy with ratings this year and how the block feels, thanks DBZ. Momentum going into Intruder II.
  • Well set up for next year, "exciting stuff in the works". "Bigger" than stuff in 2015 or 2014, apparently.
  • The original Intruder came about after the Six Flags Coaster to Coaster promotion, (Toonami's first major promotion). They had a new look in the works, and Jason wanted to give Tom a backstory and change his look. 'His reverse knees pissed us off'. Eventually turned into a microseries. Nine month endeavor 'literally like a baby'. Animated by Turner Studios.
  • Jason played Starcraft at work back then apparently \o/
  • Freddie Prinze Jr was considered for the original Tom.
  • The original Intruder went twice overbudget, was called "Sean (Akin)'s Boondoggle" by Mike Lazzo and CN, haha.
Intruder II stuff
  • Pushed back because they got a sponsor, possibly helps for future similar ... things ... if it does well.
  • They advertised Intruder II early (announced Momocon 2014 I believe?) and asked people to tweet stuff in order to show interest to sponsors
  • Moved from 5 to 7 episodes because Jason wrote more than he thought he did.
  • Total time is 25ish minutes, 3-4 minutes per week.
  • Sponsor involvement should be typical formal "brought to you by" style
  • Animation led by a unnamed private CG artist with his contacts 'moonlighting' to help.
  • New packaging confirmed, made by "another studio". "New graphic look, might not be drastically different". Just started the animation. Will come in 'piping hot onto the TV, probably'.
  • Making the Intruder II, comic, mobile app, have been difficult. Talks about eating into holiday days for Toonami staff. Jason wrote Intruder II on his vacation, for example.
  • Comic 'acts as a bridge' between Intruder I and II.
  • Intruder II will replace any game reviews and promos during November/December, of course. Continuity-wise it wouldn't make sense to have Tom reviewing a game while this is happening (and of course they can't devote time to those.)
  • Not really expecting it to drive ratings during typically lower performing November but of course they'll take it if it happens.
Other things
  • Jason basically thought the Chiller block was the network throwing stuff and seeing what sticks, but doesn't work for a niche channel.
  • Marathons have been working for them. Decisions made by programming department, not Jason. "can reuse content and perform better in ratings than movies" so win-win basically from that department's viewpoint. Jason would love to show movies but it's not up to him and it may not make the best sense to.
  • Oct 31 falls on a Saturday, so does Dec 26 - will these disrupt programming too in addition to the announced marathons? "Shit, I dunno." (probably not)
Reminders:
  • Intruder II starts on November 7th for 7 weeks, starts off the block for the first week, then moves into the DBZ break (or first show for marathon nights I guess) for the remaining 6 weeks.
  • Toonami Comic launches on November 7th.
  • Toonami app launches on November 2nd.
  • Marathons on 11/28 and 12/19

Seda

Mightve meant reviews and speech type goodies specifically, and normal TV spots for marathons could still air.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I didn't even make it past the first five minutes of "Is This a Zombie?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom