• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Space Dandy is a different case though. Wasn't it partially funded by Adult Swim/Toonami? I imagine it doing well over here was pretty important for that show.

It was. Originally it was only supposed to be 12 episodes, but once DeMarco and the others threw money at them it was expanded to 24. I imagine success over here matters quite a bit for Dandy, as it was partially funded by AdultSwim/Toonami.

Space Dandy, according to this person who takes the time to collect sales data, sold around 1,000 units.

It's not a total view of sales data, but it's save to say Space Dandy probably wasn't a success financially.

But it was never meant to be. It was a series made because the people behind it, loved it.

Due to the way it was funded, you probably have to look at more than just the Japanese market.

Do people in Japan buy a ton of anime on DVD/Bluray with streaming services being a thing? Is that truly a reliable metric we can use to gauge success? I ask these questions because this is the first time I've ever heard somebody call Space Dandy a flop in Japan, which is a pretty heavy word to use. I'd rather see the television ratings although I have no idea what would be considered 'good' in Japan because I'm not familiar with foreign markets.

EDIT: Also not sure you can point towards low physical media sales and say a series wasn't a financial success when hardly anyone except hardcore enthusiasts buys anime on bluray/dvd these days. Merchandise sales would be 10x more helpful in determining success in my opinion so we should try to find info on that.

Japanese anime industry is very bizarre in terms if making money, they make most of their funds from volume sales which is why they're so expensive for only a few episodes. As an example Gatchaman Crowds sold about 5000 units and was considered a hit and got a second season, its second season sold about 1500 units and is considered a flop.

LOLDSFAN

Well crap, the animation company Manglobe (Samurai Champloo, The World God Only Knows, Gangsta) filed for bankruptcy.

tumblr_nodgzlL5KG1ttu8odo1_500.gif

Crocodile

Do people in Japan buy a ton of anime on DVD/Bluray with streaming services being a thing? Is that truly a reliable metric we can use to gauge success? I ask these questions because this is the first time I've ever heard somebody call Space Dandy a flop in Japan, which is a pretty heavy word to use. I'd rather see the television ratings although I have no idea what would be considered 'good' in Japan because I'm not familiar with foreign markets.

EDIT: Also not sure you can point towards low physical media sales and say a series wasn't a financial success when hardly anyone except hardcore enthusiasts buys anime on bluray/dvd these days. Merchandise sales would be 10x more helpful in determining success in my opinion so we should try to find info on that.

You're right there's a lot of factors that go into whether or not something was a success or not and it depends on what the people who actually pay for anime to get made are actually looking for. Ratings, merchandise, manga sales, disk sales, critical acclaim and artistic notoriety, etc. are all different metrics and for different shows they matter more than most. As has been mentioned, the way Space Dandy was funded means that its ratings and sales success in the West is going to matter more than it would for a lot of other shows. Expectations also play into this as well. While I'm sure any studio would love to sell 34135535123 disks or 3535235135 extra manga or LN volumes, I'm sure some recognize that their show has no chance of hitting that mark so doing numbers that would be poor for one IP are fine for another.

People, we need to take away from Man God's gif posting privilege for a while.

At least till he can learn to do it responsibly, by not posting SAO gifs.

I mean at least post gifs from shows people enjoy!

Like Fairy Tail. Post lots of Fairy Tail gifs Man God.

0s2oODO.gif

I heard not too many good things about the AoT movie. I guess you shouldn't hire a guy to make a movie just because he made a cool commercial.

I heard not too many good things about the AoT movie. I guess you shouldn't hire a guy to make a movie just because he made a cool commercial.

Yeah, it's a shame, but not particularly surprising.

Most live action adaptations of anime suck to be honest.

The Parasyte live action film is even worse apparently.

parasyte-headchomp.gif

Yeesh...

parasyte-headchomp.gif

Yeesh...

LOL yeah thats bad

I haven't seen it, but, and this shocks me, the Ace Attorney live action movie is apparently pretty good.

tumblr_inline_mg9xe98r3m1ql06cz.gif

Will verify the AA movie is not only a very good film but its undoubtably the best and arguably only good video game -> live action movie

kewlmyc

parasyte-headchomp.gif

Yeesh...

Apparently the live action Assassination Classroom movie is decent. They greenlit a 2nd one. Kaiji had a good adaption as well, along with the first Death Note movie.

ckohler

Tomorrow should be exciting with the debut of Parasyte and return of KLK (even though I expect most of ToonamiGAF to not stay up for the latter).

parasyte-headchomp.gif

Yeesh...

lmaooo

Tomorrow should be exciting with the debut of Parasyte and return of KLK (even though I expect most of ToonamiGAF to not stay up for the latter).

I gotta get up for a game at 9 in the morning, so im skipping KLK this week.

Line_HTX

3:30 to 9:30 is 6 hours. I'll probably wake up at 9 and go to bed at 4 so call it 5 hours. It's not ideal but its not bad either.

The first 7 or 8 episodes or so are pretty shit. Gurren Lagann besides ep. 4 were more solid together. I'll be pretty comfortable skipping the last of the block and wake up at 8 AM just in time.

(Central time)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The first 7 or 8 episodes or so are pretty shit. Gurren Lagann besides ep. 4 were more solid together. I'll be pretty comfortable skipping the last of the block and wake up at 8 AM just in time.

No way, the first third of KLK is the best and the first fourth of TTGL is the worst.

EMXkdf4.gif

(Central time)

but Kill la Kill before the novelty wore off is best Kill la Kill

Articalys

So yeah, the Gamergate line in last week's Prison School dub episode? Looks Funimation decided to make a statement about it after the online reaction.

Prison School Feedback
Last week’s Broadcast Dub episode of Prison School generated significant feedback from anime fans. While the company is not able to answer each person individually, FUNimation does read and review all fan feedback, without exception.

In creating English dubs over the past 20+ years, FUNimation has always modified each Japanese script to appeal to Western audiences. This ensures that North American audiences can enjoy a high-quality viewing experience regardless of their familiarity with Japanese culture.

Neither the dialogue in our shows nor the personal statements of our actors or writers reflects the views or opinions of FUNimation. Official statements from FUNimation are only released via company owned channels (i.e., website and social media profiles) or newswire.

FUNimation will continue to pay close attention to fan feedback on Prison School and will take it into consideration in the future. FUNimation is committed to providing the highest quality entertainment possible.

(Central time)

Weird, I thought the first few episodes of KLK were the best part of the series. After the life fiber nonsense is introduced the show goes to complete crap and emerges as a mediocre pile of lost potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom