• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

Lost my umbrella who knows where. Possible someone took it. Now I have its sleeve and nothing to do with it, and I hate waste. Maybe I'll ask campus police if I can send a lost item notice since it had some minor sentimental value.

It was a damn nice umbrella.

kewlmyc

screw you guys for not watching the chiller block

i stopped after 2 weeks

Had to google what this was. Never even heard of the Chiller network.

Also "Is This a Zombie?" is decent for a harem comedy (not saying much). At least the MC is decent and constantly gets murdered.

Guys, good news, we can all own Sinon's glasses! They made a real life pair like them!

saoglass02.jpg

Because who doesn't want to be like Sinon was in the real world?

You know, constantly on the verge of nervous breakdown?

Also, kewlmyc is right, Is this a zombie is pretty fun, despite some issues.

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

You really love that series huh? I've never actually really watched it. Waiting for Funi to re-release it.

All I know is the endless eight, the most amazing trolling anime has ever produced.

And that the fans are feral when it comes to shipping.

So I've been reading Negima, and I remember man gods comment about them fucking up both adaptations

Took a glance at wiki

Wow what were they thinking? I can kind of get the idea for the first one (remove almost all hints of shonen battle for a mostly straight ecchi rom com) but the second series I dunno what this shenanigans is about.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I've been reading Negima, and I remember man gods comment about them fucking up both adaptations

Took a glance at wiki

Wow what were they thinking? I can kind of get the idea for the first one (remove almost all hints of shonen battle for a mostly straight ecchi rom com) but the second series I dunno what this shenanigans is about.

It's fucking crazy. They mess up the first series but realize the premise is gold, so they try it again and mess the second one up even worse!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's fucking crazy. They mess up the first series but realize the premise is gold, so they try it again and mess the second one up even worse!

It sucks hard because the premise is amazing. The festival arc is legit one of the better arcs in the shonen genre, it has fucking everything you'd ever want.

It sucks hard because the premise is amazing. The festival arc is legit one of the better arcs in the shonen genre, it has fucking everything you'd ever want.

Not there yet but Kyoto arc was a very promising start

I guess the problem with a faithful Negmia anime adaptation is that you'd need 12-13 episodes for all the ecchi harem rom com that establishes the cast before Eva reveals herself and the series goes 180 into dark battle Shonen with ecchi elements. Commiting an entire season to a genre bait and switch is probably difficult to sell to producers.

There are some OVAs that adapt parts of the manga after the Festival arc, which were pretty good, but for the Magic World arc OVAs, they rush the hell out of parts and stop soon into the story, despite the opening showing scenes from after where they stopped.

BTW, Negima!? (the second anime) got a manga adaptation of its own that wasn't actually much like the anime. It was weird.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't remember where I stopped caring about Negima. Something about someone time traveling to the current time, Negi was an adult for some reason, maybe there was a festival going on or whatever, I just recall my teenager self finally seeing past the ecchi stuff & not caring about the plot. Oh & Negi is voiced by Ginta from Deadman Wonderland. Even as a teen, I thought that voice was really weird.

I also want to slap the person who decided on the naming scheme of the seasons & everyone else who followed suit.

Original series: Negima!
Anime "retelling": Negima!?

See also: K-On! & K-On!!, Working!!, Working'!! & Working!!!, and Yuru Yuri & YuruYuri♪♪

Don't use freakin' punctuation marks to indicate a different season.

I can't remember where I stopped caring about Negima. Something about someone time traveling to the current time, Negi was an adult for some reason, maybe there was a festival going on or whatever, I just recall my teenager self finally seeing past the ecchi stuff & not caring about the plot. Oh & Negi is voiced by Ginta from Deadman Wonderland. Even as a teen, I thought that voice was really weird.

I also want to slap the person who decided on the naming scheme of the seasons & everyone else who followed suit.

Original series: Negima!
Anime "retelling": Negima!?

See also: K-On! & K-On!!, Working!!, Working'!! & Working!!!, and Yuru Yuri & YuruYuri♪♪

Don't use freakin' punctuation marks to indicate a different season.

This sounds like a case of should have read the manga

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I did read the manga. It's what got me to try & watch the anime version. But again, it was teenager me (I wanna say junior high, so 14-15), so I was caring less about plot & more about "plot".

Seda

So howd the cat stop alucard again besides the fact the writer said its okay?

Uh basically Schrödinger the character was basically a manifestation of the classic thought experiment somehow and by being absorbed into Alucard it, like, confused his immortality.

Or something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not there yet but Kyoto arc was a very promising start

I guess the problem with a faithful Negmia anime adaptation is that you'd need 12-13 episodes for all the ecchi harem rom com that establishes the cast before Eva reveals herself and the series goes 180 into dark battle Shonen with ecchi elements. Commiting an entire season to a genre bait and switch is probably difficult to sell to producers.

Kyoto is like the 3rd best arc, the really great ones are coming after.

Soulflarz

Banned
Uh basically Schrödinger the character was basically a manifestation of the classic thought experiment somehow and by being absorbed into Alucard it, like, confused his immortality.

Or something.

Bolded for where the writer lost me.

Line_HTX

Or something.

In other words, he was the though experiment personified and his existence seeped deeped into Alucard's blood, leaving him to vanish and clean himself up for how many years?

I still don't get the background of this experiment. This was basically an unescapable paradox?

I can't decide if I liked Hellsing Ultimate.

I can't even decide if I like Kouta Hirano's work.

I mentioned it over in the anime thread, but I feel like if you take...

1. Tall slender character.
2. Give them scary eyes/smile.

BAM, you got a Kouta Hirano character right there.

There are a few that break that mold tho.

At a certain point Hellsing realized it needed to actually have a story and characters and emotional weight instead of just a bunch of cool shit thrown together.

That certain point is when Hellsing completely fucking collapsed.

Line_HTX

It was a failed experiment block that lasted two weeks. The most viewers in that super tiny niche channel was for "Is This A Zombie?"

The best part about any Hellsing is the Ruins ost. Although, Ultimate had some good insert/ending songs, the soundtrack was lackluster.

I really liked Hellsing in high school, but watching it last year I realized how shallow it is. It's fun for ultraviolet spectacle, though.

Line_HTX

I liked Hellsing Ultimate for what it is, and I'm so glad that I finally got to watch all of it. I've waited so many years after watching episode 4 wondering when it'll be done, and I'm happy that Toonami stepped up to the plate with all 10 episodes.

Seda

The episodes without Alucard were the best.

The scene with Seras shooting down a zeppelin with the gigantic cannons was pretty fun.

I liked Hellsing Ultimate for what it is, and I'm so glad that I finally got to watch all of it. I've waited so many years after watching episode 4 wondering when it'll be done, and I'm happy that Toonami stepped up to the plate with all 10 episodes.

Same, so much of Hellsing Ultimate was dumb but it was a very entertianing kind of dumb

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well crap, the animation company Manglobe (Samurai Champloo, The World God Only Knows, Gangsta) filed for bankruptcy.

Korigama

I can't really say I'm surprised.
Understandable, since they were also responsible for Deadman Wonderland (unsuccessful in Japan, in spite of being loved enough on Toonami to get the manga's publication to resume in the US), as well as Michiko & Hatchin (definite flop, and based on what's been aired so far, I can see why).

No idea how Ergo Proxy did, which they also made, but I liked it.

Manglobe was never involved in a show that sold over 5,000 units.

They've all been low sellers. And quite a few weren't adaptations.

Considering that, it's a surprise they lasted this long.

kewlmyc

Well crap, the animation company Manglobe (Samurai Champloo, The World God Only Knows, Gangsta) filed for bankruptcy.

Surprised you didn't mention that the also worked on Michiko to Hatchin. We're in the middle of one of Manglobe's greatest shows. ;_;7

Sadly, TWGOK and Hayate were probably the death of them. Neither series sold well but kept getting sequels greenlit anyway. Same cause TWGOK was a good adaption for the most part.

Crocodile

Had a committee meeting today. I feel this is like the third time I went into one sure I was going to end up embarrassing myself but I walked out having impressed and pleased my committee members instead. Just got to keep this up for another 9-12 months LOL

Understandable, since they were also responsible for Deadman Wonderland (unsuccessful in Japan, in spite of being loved enough on Toonami to get the manga's publication to resume in the US), as well as Michiko & Hatchin (definite flop, and based on what's been aired so far, I can see why).

No idea how Ergo Proxy did, which they also made, but I liked it.

Considering how much garbage goes on to succeed in the anime market, Michiko and Hatchin's failure had more to do probably with not being "moe" enough or some other marketability issue that any actual issue of quality. Given the reaction to the show on Toonami (high ratings - though the presence of DBZ has helped) I wonder if this show had gotten more exposure in the West earlier if there might have been beneficial "shockwaves" that may have helped the studio.

Doing well here does not seem to translate even into moderate success in Japan tho.

Space Dandy is a pretty successful show over here, but it bombed in Japan.

Moaradin

Space Dandy is a different case though. Wasn't it partially funded by Adult Swim/Toonami? I imagine it doing well over here was pretty important for that show.

Do people in Japan buy a ton of anime on DVD/Bluray with streaming services being a thing? Is that truly a reliable metric we can use to gauge success? I ask these questions because this is the first time I've ever heard somebody call Space Dandy a flop in Japan, which is a pretty heavy word to use. I'd rather see the television ratings although I have no idea what would be considered 'good' in Japan because I'm not familiar with foreign markets.

EDIT: Also not sure you can point towards low physical media sales and say a series wasn't a financial success when hardly anyone except hardcore enthusiasts buys anime on bluray/dvd these days. Merchandise sales would be 10x more helpful in determining success in my opinion so we should try to find info on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom