• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fillers and re-runs.

The real Toonami starts here.
gKsgaYi.gif

Crocodile

Uhh Bebop was very clearly a sci-fi show; space western, neo noir whatever sub genre you wanna define it under. Bebop also started with a more light hearted tone that enabled it to be more goofy at times and more serious in others its what made the show work. Also Hatchin's comically evil family didn't set up the wacky hi jinx action scenes like we see with the bull fighting or in this weeks car chase, it set up most people in Brazil are manipulative scum bags and that element has been consistent. M&H always had a more serious tone from the git go so when it trys to do more goofy action scenes or acid trip episodes it feels more out of place.

Bebop isn't Sci-Fi in the say way Dandy is Sci-Fi. Perhaps there is a better term to distinguish between them but Dandy is fantasy in the way Star Trek is (faster than light travel, intelligent life all over the place, the ability to move through dimensions with ease, etc.) whereas I could actually imagine the tech in Bebop existing in like 200 years.

As for tone, as Oni said, we get people driving through windows in episode 1 to say nothing of all sorts of crazy antics the the following episodes. M & H has serious elements but it was never a "gritty" show. It allowed for levity from the beginning with like car chases every other 2nd/3rd episode. Like I just don't see any problematic tonal whiplash in the show. You seem to REALLY dislike Michiko (I refuse to believe anyone hates Hatchin) and I think that has influenced your perception of all other parts of the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom