• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

It feels really stupid that these elemental strengths/weaknesses are only introduced now. This should have either been day one stuff (or at least early in the series) stuff or never introduced.

RagnarokX

Earth is inferior to lightning... despite it being the opposite way around in pretty much every other elements system and real life...

Moaradin

It feels really stupid that these elemental strengths/weaknesses are only introduced now. This should have either been day one stuff (or at least early in the series) stuff or never introduced.

Basically just Kishi realizing that Chakra isn't half as interesting as Nen is.

I don't think being in the real world matters that much. Bebop was set in the future but it never sought to be a Sci-Fi show. It was pretty grounded (but still found time for both excellent drama and silly antics). I'd also think the opening episode of M & H with Hatchins' comically evil family, among other elements, kind of set the tone of the series and the show has been pretty consistent in that regard the entire show. I mean just the other week we had an acid trip episode.

Uhh Bebop was very clearly a sci-fi show; space western, neo noir whatever sub genre you wanna define it under. Bebop also started with a more light hearted tone that enabled it to be more goofy at times and more serious in others its what made the show work. Also Hatchin's comically evil family didn't set up the wacky hi jinx action scenes like we see with the bull fighting or in this weeks car chase, it set up most people in Brazil are manipulative scum bags and that element has been consistent. M&H always had a more serious tone from the git go so when it trys to do more goofy action scenes or acid trip episodes it feels more out of place.

And this is why it was really odd that the previous filler arc had that woman who could use multiple elements and wasn't human: Kakuzu has the same gimmick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom