• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

"I'm a perfect match for Sasuke."

THERE IT IS.
kRVVzZh.png

God I gotta read Prison School. The art is nearly godlike.

RIP Arm guy.

Crocodile

Several beat it in terms of having likeable characters

One Piece and DBZ (due in part to nostalgia) but other wise I disagree. That and a show doesn't need likeable characters to be good (it helps though).

The difference with those shows is that they were set in fantasy universes to begin with or in the case of Shamploo had elements that clearly contradicted the time period it took place in. M&H tries to play itself straight as a real drama series set in Brazil like something I'd see made for American TV... and then it randomly has an anime/loony tunes esque chase sequence which doesn't fit the real nature the show goes for.

I don't think being in the real world matters that much. Bebop was set in the future but it never sought to be a Sci-Fi show. It was pretty grounded (but still found time for both excellent drama and silly antics). I'd also think the opening episode of M & H with Hatchins' comically evil family, among other elements, kind of set the tone of the series and the show has been pretty consistent in that regard the entire show. I mean just the other week we had an acid trip episode.

The first episode of Michiko and Hatchin has one of the characters drive a motorcycle through a window because.

The tone of the show has never been 100% serious and gritty. Hell, that off-kilter atmosphere is pretty much the main thing it shares with Watanabe's shows.

Grexeno

I would not be surprised if DeMarco is using the filler Shippuden intro the whole way through the Immortals arc just to prove a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom