• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechkid

Hey after all Deadman Wonderland is a PG show, one that the whole family can feel comfortable viewing. A show little Jimmy can enjoy before bedtime!

Family-watching-TV11.jpg

After all they left in the anime I expected they'd let that slide.

Jacob

Which is one of the reasons why I like FMA over FMA: Brotherhood.

I watched Brotherhood first and in a final analysis I prefer it, but that's mostly because I didn't care for how the original FMA ended (especially not the movie). But the first series definitely did a lot of things better, and up until the point where it diverges from the manga (if not later) it completely outclasses Brotherhood in every way. I really need to watch it again after seeing all the love it gets on GAF. It's been a while since I've seen either in their entirety.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
My point is:

Drop your preconceptions about kimbley from the first anime. They only had a fe details to work on for how they crafted the character (such as the fact he was dubbed as the "Mad Bomber" in prison for his crimes).

Levyne

Banned
I watched Brotherhood first and in a final analysis I prefer it, but that's mostly because I didn't care for how the original FMA ended (especially not the movie). But the first series definitely did a lot of things better, and up until the point where it diverges from the manga (if not later) it completely outclasses Brotherhood in every way.

It's pretty apparant that brotherhood expects you to have watched the original. The pacing of the first several episodes is nearly unwatchable.

I also like how the original gives the hominculi a legitimate weakness where brotherhood seems to adopt a more "shoot it until it dies" mentality.

Jacob

It's pretty apparant that brotherhood expects you to have watched the original. The pacing of the first several episodes is nearly unwatchable.

*shrug* I didn't find it to be unwatchable, but they definitely cut out too much. The whole story suffers for it.

I think Pride is definitely a plus for Brotherhood, though.

Jintor

I also like how the original gives the hominculi a legitimate weakness where brotherhood seems to adopt a more "shoot it until it dies" mentality.

What's the original anime weakness? I mean, the kill until death method is internally consistent in Brotherhood.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pride is best homunculus. Best "powers" too.

What's the original anime weakness? I mean, the kill until death method is internally consistent in Brotherhood.

Something they were buried with, IIRC.

Bones, locket, etc.

Levyne

Banned

I'll have to be brief because im on my phone but
hominculi were once human and are adverse to their former memories and belongings

Yeah it was invented for the show but I liked it

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I have a huge problem with the first series about this. For one, it's only a "weakness" if you can actually get access to it, but for some of the homunculi the weakness doesn't exist at all and they are literally immortal. The movie tries to deal with that problem and becomes even more of a mess as a result.

The other problem the first series has is that there's absolutely nothing that prevents there from being more than 7 (or even having as many as 7 in the first place) and thus breaking the whole naming convention. It's utterly arbitrary in that sense, whereas in the manga/Brotherhood story there's actually a reason for their names and existence.

The first series' approach to what the homunculi are is ultimately just kind of sloppy and mostly done with the intent of creating cheap melodrama.

Ultratech

Something they were buried with, IIRC.

Bones, locket, etc.

Yeah, was supposed to be part of their remains or something that reminded of what they once were.

I mean, the kill until death method is internally consistent in Brotherhood.

Is it? (Major spoilers)
Lust - Yep; fried multiple times.
Gluttony - The first time: Yes. The second time: Eaten.
Greed - The first time: Reabsorbed (or melted; idk). The second time: You know...
Pride - Didn't die.
Wrath - He was pretty frail all things considered. Didn't require multiple deaths.
Sloth - Yep.
Envy - Suicide more or less.

Though to be fair, until they took one down differently, they didn't really know any other way, since their weakness was the actual stone inside them.

Jacob

Orayn

GUYS THEY HANDLED RANDOM CREEPY/TOUCHING/COOL SCENE #XXX SOMEWHAT DIFFERENTLY!

THEY BUTCHERED IT!

HOW CAN YOU FORGIVE!?

Aww yeah, GITS time.

Seda

I don't read manga, but I was caught offguard by Pride's reveal in Brohood and I thought it was done well

*shrug*

Levyne

Banned
GUYS THEY HANDLED RANDOM CREEPY/TOUCHING/COOL SCENE #XXX SOMEWHAT DIFFERENTLY!

THEY BUTCHERED IT!

HOW CAN YOU FORGIVE!?

Aww yeah, GITS time.

I hope thats not how I came accross. I havent read any manga was just commenting on one page...

Orayn

I hope thats not how I came accross. I havent read any manga was just commenting on one page.

Nah, varying degrees of that reaction are just an inevitability when it comes to any kind of adaptation. I'm just making light of it.

Jacob

I don't read manga, but I was caught offguard by Pride's reveal in Brohood and I thought it was done well

*shrug*

+1

Also, for those who missed the discussion earlier this evening, apparently there's only another month or so of GITS:SAC left before 2nd GIG ends and Toonami switches over to FLCL. I'm looking forward to seeing FLCL again. I'd like to watch GITS but I've never seen it before so I'm trying not to pay too much attention. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the whole thing from the beginning without too many spoilers.

Fake edit: hey, a BLEEP outside DMW!

Seda

+1

Also, for those who missed the discussion earlier this evening, apparently there's only another month or so of GITS:SAC left before 2nd GIG ends and Toonami switches over to FLCL. I'm looking forward to seeing FLCL again. I'd like to watch GITS but I've never seen it before so I'm trying not to pay too much attention. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the whole thing from the beginning without too many spoilers.

I was trying to follow GitS from the midpoint, not having seen it before, but seems not the the type of show where that can work at all. I haven't seen FLCL either.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
+1

I hated FLCL. It just doesn't hit the right notes for me. And I love weird shit like Guu and Excel Saga.

Levyne

Banned
Also the responses to my comment about the original anime homumculi are good, didnt think about some of those things.

I just remember being offput with the first homunculi death in brohood. Oh I guess you can beat them if you are mad enough.

Jacob

I was trying to follow GitS from the midpoint, not having seen it before, but seems not the the type of show where that can work at all. I haven't seen FLCL either.

Yeah, it seems to have a pretty dense backstory/setting. My only experience with the franchise is watching the Mamoru Oshii film about two years ago, so I'm pretty lost on the nights that I do try to pay attention to SAC. The series has been on my list for a long time though, I hope to get around to it soon.

I hated FLCL. It just doesn't hit the right notes for me. And I love weird shit like Guu and Excel Saga.

I have mixed feelings about FLCL. It took me many tries to even be able to finish the first episode because it was just so weird. Once I actually got into it I was reasonably entertained but there were times when my eyes just sort of glazed over because of all the crazy shit going on. I'm told it requires multiple viewings to fully appreciate though, so I figured I'd give it another try sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom