• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is Big O the only one they have brought back? Finish Samurai Jack first Genndy!
I did love Symbionic Titan though.

Family Guy, Futurama (Comedy Central got the benefit of this, though, rather than [as]), Home Movies, Big O...those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Family Guy, Futurama (Comedy Central got the benefit of this, though, rather than [as]), Home Movies, Big O...those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Family Guy and Futurama started on other networks and were revived by other networks (Fox and Comedy Central, respectively.) Adult Swim airings played a huge part in that, but otherwise CN/AS had no involvement. And in fact, now Futurama can't even air on AS because CC wants it all to itself.

Big O was a Cartoon Network revival, not an AS one if I remember right.

Home Movies is the only one that was legitimately revived by Adult Swim and became their property. And Home Movies is cheap as dirt to make since it's a Flash toon.

So it's not unprecedented, but since SBT started on CN itself, I don't see it coming back unless Williams Street wants to brankroll its entire development. Which probably won't happen. Toonami needs to grow steadily for several years before it's even a possibility.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Big O II debuted on Adult Swim (on Sunday nights, in fact). It was revived specifically for the sake of airing it on Adult Swim.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Big O II debuted on Adult Swim (on Sunday nights, in fact). It was revived specifically for the sake of airing it on Adult Swim.

Interesting. Then I guess it's slightly more possible.

Still, it seems like Toonami is still in its "shoestring budget" phase.

Drago

So what is it going to take for Toonami to get more of a budget? Like, what do the ratings have to be like, or how long does it have to be on the air? I'm not very knowledgeable on how this type of stuff works :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So what is it going to take for Toonami to get more of a budget? Like, what do the ratings have to be like, or how long does it have to be on the air? I'm not very knowledgeable on how this type of stuff works :p

Ratings are fairly good... for the first three shows, then it drops off hard IIRC. Although, that only applies to the three-hour Toonami.

Toonami expanding is definitely a fantastic sign. With Toonami, Adult Swim gambled that not only would it match or exceed the previous Saturday block slightly, but also that it would justify the media promotion, CG bumpers, hiring Steve Blum (although at a far lower rate than industry norms) to voice TOM, original content like reviews and music videos, etc. The expansion tells me that even though the ratings for three-hour Toonami were "OK," they justified all that... and then some. Sure, CN already owned SBT and T-Cats, so it didn't cost anything to add those shows, but it's more about the idea.

Hiltz

I fell asleep after Symbionic Titan ended. So ThunderCats is now on Toonami. I hope that means we'll see a new season even though the show has been put on hiatus this year. Too bad the show is in a crummy time slot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I fell asleep after Symbionic Titan ended. So ThunderCats is now on Toonami. I hope that means we'll see a new season even though the show has been put on hiatus this year. Too bad the show is in a crummy time slot.

Too bad the show is crummy.

Ultratech

Yup, as a result, CN owns something like half the rights to that season.
Second season

The series garnered positive fan response internationally that resulted in a second season co-produced by Cartoon Network, Sunrise, and Bandai Visual. Season two premiered on Japan's SUN-TV on January 2003, with the American premiere taking place seven months later in the Adult Swim lineup.[7][9]

The second season was scripted by Chiaki Konaka with input from the American producers.[7][10] Along with the 13 episodes of season two, Cartoon Network had an option for 26 additional episodes to be written by Konaka,[11] but according to Jason DeMarco, executive producer for season two, the middling ratings and DVD sales in the United States and Japan have made it impossible for further episodes to be produced.[12]

yami4ct

Wouldn't get my hopes up. For one, they could never justify the expense. Also, there's this quote directly from the art director.

Let me just, nobody is working on T(hunder)Cats. It would take years to get it back on tv if we started today. Draw your own conclusion. I love you guys and thank you for all the support
http://www.thundercats.ws/news/thundercats-cartoon-news-3/rip-thundercats-2011-2012-504/

Even if they wanted to, it would take a long time to get this started back up. Sucks for the fans, but it's dead.

Preble

I'm a little late, but I liked that they played that "Haters" speech again last week. Toonami should really use those music videos and speeches that were made this past summer. I know most can find them on youtube, but it's good to see them on air once and awhile and it makes me stick around alittle more during commercial breaks. Plus it helps Toonami actually feel like it's own block.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Was there any conclusiveness to Thundercats?

Not really.
The last episode revealed
Pumyra was evil all along and working with Mumm-Ra
and the remaining ThunderCats manage to escape, ending with WilyKit giving a speech to Lion-O about how great he is or something.

If there's going to be a second season (and that's a big if), they need to focus. They need to take some cues from Avatar: The Last Airbender on storytelling.

Preble

Anybody think Toonami will get that Michiko to Hatchin show after Cassern ends? That with Young Justice reruns would be cool to see on Toonami one day.

ant1532

Banned
So can someone explain to me the business side of Toonami Aftermath. At first i thought it was some underground illegal streaming shit, but at this point I feel like Williams St/Adult Swim/Cartoon Network support it financially. Is there any news on this?

ezekial45

Banned
So can someone explain to me the business side of Toonami Aftermath. At first i thought it was some underground illegal streaming shit, but at this point I feel like Williams St/Adult Swim/Cartoon Network support it financially. Is there any news on this?

That is a good question. Though it is completely fan run, from what I understand, they've kept things going for a long time. Which is very unusual.

I'm curious to hear why they haven't been taken down over the years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That is a good question. Though it is completely fan run, from what I understand, they've kept things going for a long time. Which is very unusual.

I'm curious to hear why they haven't been taken down over the years.

Probably because it keeps the fanbase active and growing. There was never any point in going after them for using the bumpers since they weren't being used and at this point so long as no one brings them up to [AS] directly I doubt they'll care. I kinda see it like the manga scaners, it probably does more harm than good and isn't big enough to where it's a threat. If it ever got that big they might go after them, but I doubt it will.

Seda

@Clarknova1
#toonami faithful- just letting you know there will be no new piece this week. We'll be re-running "True Story" and the Dust review.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
@Clarknova1
#toonami faithful- just letting you know there will be no new piece this week. We'll be re-running "True Story" and the Dust review.

It's cool, they've consistently given us new content every week since it started up. They could use a break.

Jintor

yeah, they busted their asses, something like 3 or 4 new bumpers for every show over the past six weeks? Plus the usual game reviews, speeches, etc...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
:(

Saw bits and pieces of last Saturday's episode one and got suckered in... It really takes a bad turn, huh?

Thundercats is pretty annoying at times, but the art is almost consistently beautiful, and much like anime, when it's good, it's really good! But when it's lacking, it's painful and annoying.

Some of the art in the show is fantastic; The varied races are a treat to see, as well as the culture and world they build up around them. And the nods they give to other old series like Silverhawks and Tigersharks are very appreciated.

Shame it'll have no second season for now, if ever. It's a show that REALLY could have become great, if it took what what worked from S1, and expanded on it...

Created these 2 for tomorrow.

ZNsus.jpg

Tr52t.jpg

Used lineup information from MetatronM's post.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll still be shocked if Adult Swim never gets Inuyasha Final Act. That has to be the most likely option for Casshern's replacement, which is coming up fast. Of course, they could always surprise us. Samurai 7, Eureka, Titan, and Thundercats were all pretty surprising, after all.

Nice sched bump mockups.

This week on Toonami, more of the same crap on Bleach, Kikuchiyo is in the hands of the Nobuseri, Luna's new attitude is a real buzzkill, Renton learns more about Eureka's dark history, the Toonami newbies continue on in the 2 am hour, Mustang exacts a measure of revenge, Batou's Tachikoma takes a walk, Section 9 takes on a kidnapping cold case that's suddenly gone hot, and Faye Valentine takes the stage on Bebop.

12:00 - Bleach - 275 - The Approaching Breath of Death, the King Who Rules Over Death!
12:30 - Samurai 7 - 9 - The Bandits
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 21 - Paradise of Lost Hope
1:30 - Eureka seveN - 9 - Paper Moon Shine
2:00 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 2 - Neighbors in Disguise
2:30 - Thundercats - 2 - Omens, Part Two
3:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 53 - Flame of Vengeance
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 54 - Beyond the Inferno
4:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 12 - ESCAPE FROM
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 13 - NOT EQUAL
5:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 3 - Honky Tonk Women
5:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 4 - Gateway Shuffle

Raxus

I look forward to the incoming wrath from GAF after having seen how the
Death
fight concludes on Bleach.

Sad to see Cassern is in it's final stretch. I am actually really enjoying the feels.

FMA:B finishing it's run again can only mean a new classic in the rotation.

What say you Toonami-GAF? What new shows do you think they are adding and what would you like to see added?

Tiger Bunny Dub just got started but I hope they bring it over ASAP. Be nice to see some old school DC shows if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom