• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week:

12:00 - Bleach - 259 - Terror! The Monster That Lurks Underground
12:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 5 - Carnival Corpse
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 5 - The Man Who Killed the Sun Named Moon

1:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 36 - Family Portrait
2:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 21 - EMBARRASSMENT
2:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 19 - Wild Horses

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Cheering for you, my only self!"

So touching. I miss Sherry Lynn's Voice acting :/
Well, I shouldn't say that as if she doesn't do ANYTHING anymore, but a lot less and far-between than in the "Hey, it's Sasami!"-in-everything days...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I didn't watch toonami.....

61991.png

Probably not, but it'll get on deMarco's radar somehow. Panty & Stocking and Inuyasha: Final Act seem to be the top preferred replacements for GitS and FMA:B, which I can go with. But I'll never understand how Outlaw Star got beaten out by
Dragon Ball Z
!

I don't understand why people want DBZ back on Toonami. It would be painful to go through again. Very painful.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
After 11 years, tonight was the first time I realized that was her as young Faye.

Took me a while to realize too, but made me like the moment even more. Maybe it was because I watched my Bebop in both languages back-to-back when I first saw it on DVD...

I don't understand why people want DBZ back on Toonami. It would be painful to go through again. Very painful.

Because DBZ WAS Toonami for many people. I'd prefer Tenchi Myself. "Tea" and Digital Bikini's, even under towels, were among the most tounge-in-cheek edits of Toonami, which makes them memorable, and I'll be a classic Tenchi fan forever.

I really like the idea of replacing the "Old" shows of Toonami with other classic Anime, though. I've missed a few series here-and-there like Urusei Yatsura, or Kimagure Orange Road, and wouldn't mind seeing things like Dirty Pair, You're Under Arrest, or El Hazard show up. With Toonami's appreciation of music, I wonder how a show like Bubblegum Crisis would mix with them...

Would be up for almost anything new, too. I doubt I'd seek out Deadman Wonderland on my own, but seeing it on TV has made me enjoy it. I'd enjoy seeing lots of shorter, compact, complete series air, rather than 100+ episode epics that give way to too much Filler, however...

Urusei Yatsura would make the most sense of all the Rumiko Takahashi currently out there. Slapstick as all-get-out, but still balanced and generally a lot of fun to watch. Lupin III, Future Boy Conan, and even the Miyazaki Sherlock Holmes episodes—these would be good choices, if they're dubbed anyway (and I know FBC probably isn't!).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Actually, Future Boy Conan does have an english dub, it seems, produced for english-language networks in Asia... I wonder if that's "Serious English!" or "Fun Engrish!"... a rough Engrishy showing would probably be really fun to see on Toonami, lol. Internet Meme fuel.

I'd love to see Toonami breath some new life into series like "Lum". The best of Toonami reminds me of the days of Anime Web Turnpike, and seeing images like this:
tenchi_email.gif

all over the internet. That kind of nostalgia that ties right into the shows of the Toonami time.

250px-Realadventuresofjonnyquesttitlecard.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Adventures_of_Jonny_Quest

Turner aired Real Adventures seven nights a week on TBS, TNT, and Cartoon Network for an unprecedented twenty-one weekly showings. Turner aired several commercial spots featuring the Quest logo and show introductions to build viral support. Turner's marketers surmised that juvenile groups watching TNT in the morning, TBS in the afternoon, or Cartoon Network in prime time and late night were mutually exclusive. Real Adventures premiered August 26, 1996, three months after a twenty-hour "Farewell Marathon" of original Quest. The show averaged a 2.0 Nielsen rating over August and September 1996, considered a strong start for an animated series. Though Cartoon Network suffered declining viewership in 1996, Quest was consistently one of the highest-rated programs; later season-one episodes drew around 650,000 viewers. Real Adventures's merchandise performed poorly, and it failed to build consistent ratings in its targeted demographics (though it did attract adult audiences). Turner tried to revive interest in February 1997 with a contest for an adventurous trip to Jamaica called Quest World Adventure. Cartoon Network did not order new episodes beyond the fifty-second. Reruns aired for two years on Toonami until September 24, 1999; on Cartoon Network in other formats until December 14, 2002; and on CNX until 2003.

C'mon Toonami, how's that for nostalgia? 16 year anniversary coming up!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Deadman Wonderland Opening Creditless

I will be your deadman
With nothing but this blood on my hands
Stuck in your "wonderland"
I just want to make you bleed like me

<3

One mischievous little woodpecker
Another day, pecking your holes
Ruining the woods, tree wrecker
The angry old forest god turned your poor beak into a poison knife
Poor little wood pecker, your nesting holes are all tainted
Your food with toxins rife
Touch your friends, and they all will die falling at your feet
Oh, sad little woodpecker
Poisonous tears, shining brightly, as they stream down your cheeks

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The song is good, but it's the chorus combined with Origa's voice that makes it amazing.

wwm0nkey

I actually like he bleeps in Deadman, like with South Park, bleeps makes cursing funny.

Well if we want Panty and Stocking the bleeps need to go because they say fuck like every other word in that show lol

Either way this weeks episode of Deadman might be uncensored since this goes into effect right now.

Well if we want Panty and Stocking the bleeps need to go because they say fuck like every other word in that show lol

Either way this weeks episode of Deadman might be uncensored since this goes into effect right now.

Yeah, wouldn't count on that happening. Either way, just eight more hours to go

vazel

Banned

As others have mentioned censorship on cable television has always been driven by a fear of advertisers pulling support. Especially when watchdog groups raise a ruckus and get advertisers on their side. Google 'advertisers pull support' to see how many times this has happened.

As others have mentioned censorship on cable television has always been driven by a fear of advertisers pulling support. Especially when watchdog groups raise a ruckus and get advertisers on their side. Google 'advertisers pull support' to see how many times this has happened.
I'm pretty sure a similar ruckus was talked about for Blue Gender, and then it was re-edited because the 1st edit did not please S&P or [adult swim]. Don't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom