• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Lost in her eyes
AMzq9lr.gif

Seda

Yes, get used to this lineup because it's probably not changing for a while.

Next week it will have been a year since revival.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning Toonami-GAF. It feels so good, and so right, to have One Piece back on TV. Even if a lot of people here complained that it didn't make sense. You guys still have time to catch up.
Soul Eater was pretty good too. I think it combined two chapters.
Bleach was... odd even for filler. So much meta-commentary and even a scene that breaks the fourth wall.

I saw someone compare One Piece to Adventure Time, and I realized that makes a ton of sense.
Both are adventure stories.
They have protagonists that thirst for adventure.
Both have characters that stretch.
A huge cast of different characters.
Tragic backstories.
A surprisingly deep mythos that develops over-time.
Bright and colorful.
Really really weird.

Though I wouldn't call One Piece "Japan's Adventure Time", I'd call Adventure Time "America's One Piece". Since One Piece came first and all.

What are you drawing these on?

He's drawing them on Miiverse, the Wii U social network.

Jintor

Adventure Time has far more efficient storytelling and, I would daresay, is probably actually weirder than One Piece.

tumblr_luonoxu9hQ1qeyb9ho1_r1_500.gif

Seriously.

Raxus

Adventure Time has far more efficient storytelling and, I would daresay, is probably actually weirder than One Piece.

tumblr_luonoxu9hQ1qeyb9ho1_r1_500.gif

Seriously.
Jake did eat a gum gum fruit apparently.

You can't top Lincoln being the king of Mars, the Magic man being tried for making everyone bald, Jake dying, death is a farmer, SHAME MANTICORE!, and a three headed prism thing. All this takes place IN 11 MINUTES.

Seda

I know there are watchers who won't have time to catch up with One Piece. They might not want to read Raxus' thing either if it's too long. Perhaps during the show, if somebody would have the job of giving QUICK explanations. Only one person so that everyone familiar with the show aren't talking over each other. The main cast I don't think need to be explained much, people will learn them in time. For example, last episode, something like:

The Yellow haired dude is Bellamy, a pirate defeated by Luffy. The guy with feathers is Do Flamingo, one of the Seven Warlords - pirates who police the Grand Line.

Something really quick like that. My thought is that it wouldn't be a hassle to read and just to provide information quickly. If somebody wants to take more time to understand things, they can read Raxus' thing. This is assuming of course there is anybody jumping in now who even want to stick with it.

Mission Try not to spoil One Piece is set in motion. If anyone has a One Piece question and we don't feel like answering it is because:
A) It could be a spoiler.
B) We don't know.

789shadow

Banned
I know there are watchers who won't have time to catch up with One Piece. They might not want to read Raxus' thing either if it's too long. Perhaps during the show, if somebody would have the job of giving QUICK explanations. Only one person so that everyone familiar with the show aren't talking over each other. The main cast I don't think need to be explained much, people will learn them in time. For example, last episode, something like:

The Yellow haired dude is Bellamy, a pirate defeated by Luffy. The guy with feathers is Do Flamingo, one of the Seven Warlords - pirates who police the Grand Line.

Something really quick like that. My thought is that it wouldn't be a hassle to read and just to provide information quickly. If somebody wants to take more time to understand things, they can read Raxus' thing. This is assuming of course there is anybody jumping in now who even want to stick with it.
I can do this.

The problem is during the normal Toonami peak 12-2 post are pretty rapid fire questions get asked multiple times and get answered just as many times all over the place.

Seda

The problem is during the normal Toonami peak 12-2 post are pretty rapid fire questions get asked multiple times and get answered just as many times all over the place.

Yes that is the issue here. Bold and title the post? I dunno. This is also partially why I think one person should be giving the recap blurbs.

Hopefully there won't be as many comments about voice actors/acting and cut openings now that the first episode is out of the way.

Also, not every episode is going to have a jump to a totally different location with another set of characters.

Just thinking out loud~

That Nami gif and the Zoro ones are from the Episode of Nami two-hour special that aired last year. Basically a slightly condensed version of the Arlong Arc.

Neat. Also, I have an idea. What if someone who has seen the episode beforehand makes a small "Required Reading" post every week? It would basically include all the information Seda mentioned, but would be posted before the episode. Like that people could read up on stuff that they won't understand before the episode and the posts won't be lost in the flurry of posts from the rest of Toonami-GAF.

Seda

Neat. Also, I have an idea. What if someone who has seen the episode beforehand makes a small "Required Reading" post every week? It would basically include all the information Seda mentioned, but would be posted before the episode. Like that people could read up on stuff that they won't understand before the episode and the posts won't be lost in the flurry of posts from the rest of Toonami-GAF.

All I was thinking was something really unobtrusive yet useful, and perhaps a little more organized than people asking "who are these people" and getting 12 responses. And while One Piece definitely will jump back to prior events, like yesterday's episode, I doubt it's something we'll see every single week. I think the majority of the time people will be fine with watching the crew do what they are doing in the current place. If the next few episodes are just the Straw Hats starting to participate in this tournament/festival/game/whatever it is (I don't know I haven't seen it!) then no recap like the example I provided would be needed. People, assuming they make an effort to stick with the show, will get to learn the crew and their antics.

Also: my favorite SABCA was this one:

zlCfzQ_QPjg3FcwGI9

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
As near as I can recall, the show doesn't shift scene from Long Ring Long Land again for the entire rest of the arc. That "tying up loose ends from the previous saga" scene in last night's episode was pretty much it.

Finally caught up on Naruto, now my option is watch all of Bleach (only read the manga never seen the dub or sub anime) or catch up on dub piece (read all the manga watched all the sub anime).

Or I could watch the 3 episodes of IGPX I missed...

789shadow

Banned
As near as I can recall, the show doesn't shift scene from Long Ring Long Land again for the entire rest of the arc. That "tying up loose ends from the previous saga" scene in last night's episode was pretty much it.
Yeah, no one should be lost again for a good long while.

Finally caught up on Naruto, now my option is watch all of Bleach (only read the manga never seen the dub or sub anime) or catch up on dub piece (read all the manga watched all the sub anime).

Or I could watch the 3 episodes of IGPX I missed...

There is only one correct answer here.

Raxus

Besides the Bellamy/Don Flamingo stuff, Long Ring Long does its own thing for the rest of the arc. Water 7 onward....oh boy. You may want to sit down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom