• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Yeah while starting off with this arc (a sort of filler arc as I understand) may not be the best in terms of the overall storyline, but at least it'll give people a chance to see the dynamics of the crew before Water 7.

Finally caught up on Naruto, now my option is watch all of Bleach (only read the manga never seen the dub or sub anime) or catch up on dub piece (read all the manga watched all the sub anime).

Or I could watch the 3 episodes of IGPX I missed...

If you've already read the manga, don't see the need to watch Bleach. IGPX!

I'm confused about the shortened opening and ending for One Piece, actually. Back when One Piece aired on CN several years ago, I know that the full opening and ending was shown. Why is that changed now?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Bleach has been on my watch list for awhile, and for all the problems later Bleach has the first two arcs are fantastic

Watch Bleach through the Soul Society Arc. Then stop.

I'm confused about the shortened opening and ending for One Piece, actually. Back when One Piece aired on CN several years ago, I know that the full opening and ending was shown. Why is that changed now?
CN/AS added about 30-60 seconds of advertising per half hour several years ago. That's why shows like Bebop and GITS that used to have shortened EDs don't have them at all anymore.

I'm honestly kind of excited to see the Mundo arc and War arcs in anime format, if they can condense down the 6 chapter fights into 1-2 episodes they'll be a lot more enjoyable.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly kind of excited to see the Mundo arc and War arcs in anime format, if they can condense down the 6 chapter fights into 1-2 episodes they'll be a lot more enjoyable.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...sorry, hold on....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...sorry, hold on....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It certainly can't be any worse then the way the Naruto anime handles it's fights

Seriously the Zabuza/Haku fight in the manga last 12 chapters, and in the anime it last 8! Unless the Bleach anime makes fights last even longer that in it of itself is much better.

Besides unlike some people here I gave up on Bleach having any kind of meaningful story a long time ago, I'm just going to watch it for sword fights and Aizen trolls.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It certainly can't be any worse then the way the Naruto anime handles it's fights

Seriously the Zabuza/Haku fight in the manga last 12 chapters, and in the anime it last 8! Unless the Bleach anime makes fights last even longer that in it of itself is much better.

Besides unlike some people here I gave up on Bleach having any kind of meaningful story a long time ago, I'm just going to watch it for sword fights and Aizen trolls.

Just FYI, the Arrancar Arc is literally 201 episodes long from start to finish.

Yeah and it was like 150 chapters in the manga, but aren't a lot of those episodes during that 200 run filler arcs? I know the anime has a filler arc where they go to hell or something and another that introduces an anime only captain

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yup. It'll be a few years before the manga ends though. By the time Toonami finishes OG Bleach the new Bleach will be ready to go. We'll never be free.

Actually, if we got nonstop new episodes until the end, it should be done next year.

Though it's very likely there will be another repeat break sometime down the road. Still, next year is very likely the end. I don't see the manga ending next year (it would shock me if it did).

Actually, if we got nonstop new episodes until the end, it should be done next year.

Though it's very likely there will be another repeat break sometime down the road. Still, next year is very likely the end. I don't see the manga ending next year (it would shock me if it did).

Considering how strong Bleach is ratings wise they'd probably just keep it just drop it to a lower time slot instead of retiring it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah and it was like 150 chapters in the manga, but aren't a lot of those episodes during that 200 run filler arcs? I know the anime has a filler arc where they go to hell or something and another that introduces an anime only captain

It goes at about 2 chapters an episode when it's not filler, with some exceptions. We're into the content of the Deicide chapters now, and if you ignore the couple of filler episodes here, that takes about 10 or 11 episodes for the anime to cover, when it was 23 chapters in the manga, so it's basically about double speed, and not everything has gone at that rate, especially earlier on in Hueco Mundo. And considering just how little actually happens in some of those chapters, doing 2 of them at once is only barely an improvement for pacing.

And, of course, while the content only takes up 11 episodes, it actually TAKES 14 episodes to cover that because of filler interruptions. So if you're watching on a weekly basis, the pacing isn't really much improved at all.

It goes at about 2 chapters an episode when it's not filler, with some exceptions. We're into the content of the Deicide chapters now, and if you ignore the couple of filler episodes here, that takes about 10 or 11 episodes for the anime to cover, when it was 23 chapters in the manga, so it's basically about double speed, and not everything has gone at that rate, especially earlier on in Hueco Mundo. And considering just how little actually happens in some of those chapters, doing 2 of them at once is only barely an improvement for pacing.

Sad but true, I'm not sure for me which was the bigger moment of complete dumb in the series. It's either when

1. Chad spends one chapter getting beaten to reveal his power up at the end, then spends the next chapter doing the same thing only to reveal the power up for his OTHER ARM!

or

2. Kenpachi fights one of the Arracar for 6 chapters only to use "kendo" and one shot the guy. Kendo = hold my sword with two hands for TWICE THE POWER!

Raxus

Yes and they caught up with the manga so fast they went straight to filler hell. Heck if they condensed all of Aizen's bullshit it would be episode after episode of terribleness.
What did we do to deserve this torture?
We didn't watch Symbionic Titan or Megas XLR.

God and people complain about One Piece's pace. At least they finish most arcs in 50-70 episodes.

BatDan

does Mr. 2 actually say "oh come my way" much in the dub? because i don't remember that.

Explanation time:
In the original manga, Bon Clay would often bring up his "Okama Way". Okama is a Japanese slang term for Crossdresser/Transvestite. He incorporated it into his fighting style, the Crossdresser Kenpo.
When Viz translated Alabasta, instead of translating it as Crossdresser Way, they lied and called it "Oh Come My Way". This was during their "we're afraid of getting sued" phase, along with calling Eneru "Kami" instead of God.

When Toei adapted it, they didn't want to bring up being a Crossdresser, so every instance has been replaced with Ballerina. Including Ballet Kenpo.

Explanation time:
In the original manga, Bon Clay would often bring up his "Okama Way". Okama is a Japanese slang term for Crossdresser/Transvestite. He incorporated it into his fighting style, the Crossdresser Kenpo.
When Viz translated Alabasta, instead of translating it as Crossdresser Way, they lied and called it "Oh Come My Way". This was during their "we're afraid of getting sued" phase, along with calling Eneru "Kami" instead of God.

When Toei adapted it, they didn't want to bring up being a Crossdresser, so every instance has been replaced with Ballerina. Including Ballet Kenpo.

well yeah. but does he say it in the Funimation dub? because i don't remember that happening, and it's possible he doesn't at all since i know Funimation has omitted a few of the characters' speech quirks.

BatDan

well yeah. but does he say it in the Funimation dub? because i don't remember that happening, and it's possible he doesn't at all since i know Funimation has omitted a few of the characters' speech quirks.

I don't think he does.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just watch Yu Yu Hakusho and call it a day.

aT9UVYH.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I loved YYH never seen the anime as a whole from start to finish only in pieces. I've heard the anime has a not garbage/rushed finale like the manga so it makes me interested to check it out eventually.

It stretches out the final arc and has a custom ending, which is arguably better than the manga one.

I really need to give YYH final arc another shot. I was just pissed it had a lack of Kuwabara.

I'm a huge Kuwabara fan (obviously), but I've always been fine with how the final arc played out. Kuwabara had moved on with his life, and he was above everything that the other characters were getting involved with. I think the idea of growing up and taking a role in the development of the world was a major theme for the last arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom