• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
I think at this point that the numbers for most shows, especially starting with One Piece, are going to have somewhat variable numbers that go up and down.

Order

I'm about 50 episodes into One Piece and I have a question.

Will Zoro ALWAYS be hurt during a major fight? It's just getting weird now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 50 episodes into One Piece and I have a question.

Will Zoro ALWAYS be hurt during a major fight? It's just getting weird now.
I feel like it happens less often after that. Only one or two later instances that I can think of, really

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
IGPX surprisingly holding the line.

The 103k drop with One Piece is a little worrying.
Not really, and it's a nice rebound from last week. One Piece had basically the same drop from its lead in that Naruto did. Seems fine to me.

800s would be great for Davy Back and Ocean's Dream. 900s would be terrific. Water 7 might be able to be in the millionaire club if it can get enough of a core audience now.

Even occasional dips into the 700s would be alright, so long as they don't become the norm.

Anyway, those ratings look more or less like a "normal" night for the block. Everything in general ranges that you would logically expect.

I'm just happy that Soul Eater is holding its own despite moving down a half hour. I'm really enjoying the show - even going back and rewatching from the beginning on Netflix.

Ah, afternoon ToonamiGAF. I see the ratings are back to the steady numbers, One Piece is as expected on filler.

Meanwhile, I get bored making cover photos:

3286c8b731272ed5194c.png

Not really, and it's a nice rebound from last week. One Piece had basically the same drop from its lead in that Naruto did. Seems fine to me.

800s would be great for Davy Back and Ocean's Dream. 900s would be terrific. Water 7 might be able to be in the millionaire club if it can get enough of a core audience now.

Even occasional dips into the 700s would be alright, so long as they don't become the norm.

Anyway, those ratings look more or less like a "normal" night for the block. Everything in general ranges that you would logically expect.
If last week is a low point for OP's ratings, I'd say we're doing good.

I need to watch Little Garden

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Can they please move Soul Eater back to it's original spot? It was getting better ratings then.

One Piece is going to be here far far far longer, so it's more important to have it earlier in a higher profile slot.

They're not going to switch back unless one of them totally tanks.

BatDan

One Piece is going to be here far far far longer, so it's more important to have it earlier in a higher profile slot.

They're not to switch back unless one of them totally tanks.

Exactly this.
Soul Eater is set to end in February since it only has 51 episodes. One Piece is still going and going and going and going and going and- *fizzzzt*

Basically, having a show that's going to run for YEARS in an early slot is better than a show that will only last one year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think the long term goal here is to groom One Piece as the heir to Bleach, the rock that sticks around for a decade.

Pretty quiet ratings PR this week:

The Saturday night premiere episode of Bleach (12 a.m.) ranked as #1 in its timeslot with adult 18-24 &18-34. All new episodes during the Toonami block earned growth across all key adult demos vs. the same time period year ago, ranging between 5% and 22%.

I'm in the same opinion as Metatron, Toonami compared to Toonami YOY should be interesting going forward.

Do people dislike IGPX? I loved it back when it initially aired, bought the DVDs, and am enjoying this rewatch. I feel like there's a ton of negativity about it in this thread, but you guys move way too fast for me to really follow. Maybe I just come in at inopportune times?

BatDan

Do people dislike IGPX? I loved it back when it initially aired, bought the DVDs, and am enjoying this rewatch. I feel like there's a ton of negativity about it in this thread, but you guys move way too fast for me to really follow. Maybe I just come in at inopportune times?

A lot of us just find it boring. We were hoping the first original Toonami show would be a lot more exciting, but it's full of inappropriate music and long stretches of people talking about racing instead of actually racing.

Plus, I'm starting to notice too many similarities to Cowboy Bebop.

Seda

Several people who have watched it have said they enjoyed it for what it was. KuwabaraTheMan thinks it's garbage through and through. I thought the first 2 episodes were okay in just setting stuff up, and then 3 and 4 were very slow moving. 5 began to set up this rivalry between Takashi and River, which we'll have to see where that goes (but it was another slow moving episode). I think a lot of us agreed that 6 (the most recent one) was actually solid.

Don't let the negativity shun you away though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Several people who have watched it have said they enjoyed it for what it was. KuwabaraTheMan thinks it's garbage through and through. I thought the first 2 episodes were okay in just setting stuff up, and then 3 and 4 were very slow moving. 5 began to set up this rivalry between Takashi and River, which we'll have to see where that goes (but it was another slow moving episode). I think a lot of us agreed that 6 (the most recent one) was actually solid.

This. If the rest of the series is more like episode 6 and less like the others then it'll be fine.

A lot of us just find it boring. We were hoping the first original Toonami show would be a lot more exciting, but it's full of inappropriate music and long stretches of people talking about racing instead of actually racing.

Plus, I'm starting to notice too many similarities to Cowboy Bebop.

Oh wow, it didn't even cross my mind that some people would be watching it for the first time... Figured most everyone here had been around the block from the beginning. Maybe some of my enjoyment is rose-colored, but I genuinely like the characters, the music -- it's like the Toonami bumps scored a full show! --, and think it still has some of the best CG work I've ever seen in anime (it's a smartly-designed production based around NOT blending 3D with 2D content so it sticks out like a sore thumb, kinda forward-thinking). Heck, I still occasionally rock the awful shirt that came with the special edition DVD set back in the day! I also think it's one of the few great English dubs; hell if something can make Michelle Rodriguez palatable that right there is an overwhelming success. I do remember the story being a bit thin and predictable, but it's been so long since I watched it I hope my recollection is off. It's certainly stylish, so that'll keep me around for another run.

Seda

Oh wow, it didn't even cross my mind that some people would be watching it for the first time... Figured most everyone here had been around the block from the beginning. Maybe some of my enjoyment is rose-colored, but I genuinely like the characters, the music -- it's like the Toonami bumps scored a full show! --, and think it still has some of the best CG work I've ever seen in anime (it's a smartly-designed production based around NOT blending 3D with 2D content so it sticks out like a sore thumb, kinda forward-thinking). Heck, I still occasionally rock the awful shirt that came with the special edition DVD set back in the day! I also think it's one of the few great English dubs; hell if something can make Michelle Rodriguez palatable that right there is an overwhelming success. I do remember the story being a bit thin and predictable, but it's been so long since I watched it I hope my recollection is off. It's certainly stylish, so that'll keep me around for another run.

Now that I've seen some episodes, I'm certain I caught a few of them before, but I didn't really pay much attention nor watch them in sequence. That's actually true for a lot of old Toonami shows.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't see it doing as big a ratings YOY jump as it has been.

That's because we're now comparing Toonami to Toonami, rather than Toonami to Adult Swim Action.

I still have little to no opinion on IGPX as a whole. I find it incredibly generic and tedious at times, but there are some solid moments here and there, and aside from the somewhat asinine conceit of the episode itself, this week's episode was actually pretty good overall. So...jury is decidedly out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

IGPX seemed to have a bit of a mystique to it, a show many had heard about but never watched and given the excellent hype job given to the program the desire to watch the show remained and indeed built up over the years. In short, we did not know it was a massive pile of boring until we actually watched it.

Preble

Just caught the test episode of Soul Eater. That was sum funny stuff.

Soul eater's gotta be one of the few animes that make me actually laugh out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom