• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
Recent Bleach:
Zangetsu is not Ighigo's true Zanpukto, but is instead Bach/Ywach from 1000 years ago. Hollow Ichigo is his true Zanupkto.

Raxus

Recent Bleach:
Zangetsu is not Ighigo's true Zanpukto, but is instead Bach/Ywach from 1000 years ago. Hollow Ichigo is his true Zanupkto.

I love how this makes 0 sense when you think about it for a second.

Naruto's chapter was ok but only further proved how useless Sakura was.

Summons giant slug, proclaims she will continue to only serve as white mage

One Piece:
Amazing

Tamanon

Banned
I love how this makes 0 sense when you think about it for a second.

Naruto's chapter was ok but only further proved how useless Sakura was.

Summons giant slug, proclaims she will continue to only serve as white mage

One Piece:
Amazing

Honestly it makes complete sense when looking at old conversations in the manga. At least to me, and once you find out how Zanpakutos are made.

image.php

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's been announced that the Soul Eater manga will end in September. Makes sense, everything about the recent chapters has just screamed "endgame". I'm thinking of putting together a post explaining what happens after the divergence (which is still a ways off).

"But what about a new Soul Eater anime?" As far as I know, nothing has been announced. I would love to see a new one that covers the rest of the story much like FMA: Brotherhood.

If you want to read the manga, Yen Press has the first 14 volumes available with 15 coming in July, 16 in September and 17 in November.

Seda

Yeah Bleach was definitely making the rounds on Twitter on Monday or whenever that was. I'm not bothering avoiding spoilers with Bleach like I usually do - that twist doesn't even make sense. It's the worst kind of plot twist.

Also, no tease for this weekend's broadcast.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah Bleach was definitely making the rounds on Twitter on Monday or whenever that was. I'm not bothering avoiding spoilers with Bleach like I usually do - that twist doesn't even make sense. It's the worst kind of plot twist.

Also, no tease for this weekend's broadcast.

And yet people defended it. They called it great!

Seda

huh

If there were some loose threads hanging around that didn't make sense until now, it would be great. In my opinion, the best plot twists are the ones that:

a) Are indeed a twist, unexpected and hard to predict.

AND

b) Upon revealing the twist, loose plot threads are instantly explained, things that might have been niggling at the reader/viewer for some time.

Obviously I haven't seen/read Bleach past the airings so I don't know how this twist was lead up to, but it feels like it's purely A and no B.

A good plot twist needs to make the viewer say "OOOOOOHHHH".

Not Whhhhaaaattt.

That's how I see it anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
huh

If there were some loose threads hanging around that didn't make sense until now, it would be great. In my opinion, the best plot twists are the ones that:

a) Are indeed a twist, unexpected and hard to predict.

AND

b) Upon revealing the twist, loose plot threads are instantly explained, things that might have been niggling at the reader/viewer for some time.

Obviously I haven't seen/read Bleach past the airings so I don't know how this twist was lead up to, but it feels like it's purely A and no B.

A good plot twist needs to make the viewer say "OOOOOOHHHH".

Not Whhhhaaaattt.

That's how I see it anyway.

I agree completely. You've already seen mostly everything leading up to the twist, future info you don't have doesn't help explain it. It's all A and no B, you're right about that. It's basically the opposite of how FMA:Brotherhood handled it's big twists.

Wat. That doesn't even make any sense. Dammit, Kubo.

Yup.

BatDan

People have tried using vague quotes to prove that Kubo did set this up.
However, I have my doubts on that. Kubo has admitted that he didn't know how to end Soul Society, so he made up Aizen being the villain. He also admitted that when he has writer's block, he just makes up new characters.

It's very likely this twist was made up a couple months ago.

I don't get the love or hate for the Bleach twist. The moment that Yhwach appeared I thought "wow he looks almost identical to
the old man in Ichigo's sword
" I feel some people just look for reasons to hate bleach and in turn bleach fans look for any excuse to praise the series as the greatest thing ever. There are many problems with bleach and kubo's writing style yet despite that I can say that bleach is always entertaining something I can't say about Naruto.

Moaradin

I just got caught up with the new Hunter x Hunter anime. It's fucking great. It's the only anime I've been able to watch with subtitles just because of how damn good it is. I really hope this gets a proper English dub in the future so maybe we can see it on Toonami one day.

I just got caught up with the new Hunter x Hunter anime. It's fucking great. It's the only anime I've been able to watch with subtitles just because of how damn good it is. I really hope this gets a proper English dub in the future so maybe we can see it on Toonami one day.

I'd kill to see Toonami GAF react to the Chimera Ant arc

Raxus

I'd kill to see Toonami GAF react to the Chimera Ant arc

I don't think I could go for months without any sharp objects in my house.

Glad you're enjoying it Moaradin. Greed Island was oh so good in the 2011 series. I really need to watch the 1999 series as well.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The moment that Yhwach appeared I thought "wow he looks almost identical to
the old man in Ichigo's sword
"

Yeah, I basically thought exactly that. When he first showed up I was like, "
Wait, that's some other guy who isn't Zangetsu?! LOL Kubo
." Now it's "
Wait, that guy IS Zangetsu after all?! LOL Kubo
."

No matter how you slice it, it's fucking TERRIBLE writing, hahaha.

BatDan

Yeah, I basically thought exactly that. When he first showed up I was like, "
Wait, that's some other guy who isn't Zangetsu?! LOL Kubo
." Now it's "
Wait, that guy IS Zangetsu after all?! LOL Kubo
."

No matter how you slice it, it's fucking TERRIBLE writing, hahaha.

It's a lot like when Yammy showed up in Hueco Mundo after a long absence and readers joked "Maybe he's the 0th Espada". Then it turned out he was.
When readers are able to predict your plot twists in a sarcastic manner, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Gin continues to take the fight to Ichigo, Team 7 tries to stay alive in the Forest of Death, Foxy sticks his giant nose into the Donut Race as things heat up on the final stretch to the finish, Kid faces off with Crona on the Nidhogg, Takashi's gonna try to get him some (maybe?), Eureka meets with the Lady Sakuya, Panthro makes some cuddly friends, Octus stands alone, Hawkeye fills Edward in on the war in Ishval, Spike hitches a ride with the Heavy Metal Queen, and Kikyo confronts her nemesis.

12:00 - Bleach - 301 - Ichigo, Losing His Fighting Spirit!? Gin's Expectation!
12:30 - Naruto - 28 - Eat or be Eaten: Panic in the Forest
1:00 - One Piece - 210 - Silver Fox Foxy! The Merciless Interference!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 16 - Fierce Battle Aboard the Ghost Ship – The Hell Inside My Head?
2:00 - IGPX - 7 - Spring Has Come
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 41 - Acperience 3
3:00 - Thundercats - 9 - Berbils
3:30 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 14 - I Am Octus
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 30 - The Ishvalan War of Extermination
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 7 - Heavy Metal Queen
5:00 - Inuyasha - 61 - Kikyo and the Dark Priestess
5:30 - Inuyasha - 62 - Tsubaki's Unrelenting Evil Spell

It's a lot like when Yammy showed up in Hueco Mundo after a long absence and readers joked "Maybe he's the 0th Espada". Then it turned out he was.
When readers are able to predict your plot twists in a sarcastic manner, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Except Yammy himself tells us the top ten go 0-9 instead of 1-10 right as he revealed his true form. Nothing up til that point indicated there was a stronger arracar then Starrk who had been previously established as the 1st. To be fair it's not like the idea of a character intentionally restraining their power is unheard, Kenpachi does the same thing which is part of the reason why Ichigo was able to beat him during the Soul Society arc. Why every goes "LOL Yammy 0 Espada" is that after this big reveal, he pretty much get one shot by Byakura and Kenpachi the very next chapter/episode.

The idea in of itself isn't bad, just the execution was horribly flawed which makes it a joke twist.

Gosh I feel like the Bleach defense force here lol honestly I'm not trying to argue Bleach is some masterpiece or that it's a great series, it isn't. Bleach is a very inconsistent series that is always entertaining even if it can be incredibly dumb at times. I feel it's good moments (Aizen reveal, Ichigo vs Byakura/Grimjaw/Ulquiorra) and it's entertaining moments (Aizen trolling, Gin dick innuendos) balance out it's bad moments (too many characters getting fights that last too long) and stupid moments (kenpachi using 2 hands, chad using his other arm, yammy being the 0 espada).

Jintor

Maybe this is just true of all shonen pacing but I think it's really hurt by every chapter being about the equivalent of a gasp of air before going dark for another week. Even if read in sequence in a big rush it has a major effect on the storytelling.

Also dumb things happen 24/7

BatDan

Except Yammy himself tells us the top ten go 0-9 instead of 1-10 right as he revealed his true form. Nothing up til that point indicated there was a stronger arracar then Starrk who had been previously established as the 1st. To be fair it's not like the idea of a character intentionally restraining their power is unheard, Kenpachi does the same thing which is part of the reason why Ichigo was able to beat him during the Soul Society arc. Why every goes "LOL Yammy 0 Espada" is that after this big reveal, he pretty much get one shot by Byakura and Kenpachi the very next chapter/episode.

The idea in of itself isn't bad, just the execution was horribly flawed which makes it a joke twist.

Gosh I feel like the Bleach defense force here lol honestly I'm not trying to argue Bleach is some masterpiece or that it's a great series, it isn't. Bleach is a very inconsistent series that is always entertaining even if it can be incredibly dumb at times. I feel it's good moments (Aizen reveal, Ichigo vs Byakura/Grimjaw/Ulquiorra) and it's entertaining moments (Aizen trolling, Gin dick innuendos) balance out it's bad moments (too many characters getting fights that last too long) and stupid moments (kenpachi using 2 hands, chad using his other arm, yammy being the 0 espada).

Fair enough. At least you're able to acknowledge the awful moments of Bleach unlike some people aro- *gets slapped*
Really, a lot of Toonami-GAF is just snarking the anime. Even the good stuff like One Piece, Soul Eater and Casshern Sins gets snarked, though those are done out of love.

A lot of Bleach hate really comes from the poor pacing and the filler. Which we're going to have to really brace for as starting August 17th, we're going into 30+ episodes of filler. This one is the arc that fans call "the filler that killed Bleach".

On another subject, Funimation is releasing the "Dragon Ball Z: Rock the Dragon" set, which contains the first 53 episodes and three movies done by the Canadian cast. Including the original "It's Over 9000!" scene that became the subject of video memes.

On another subject, Funimation is releasing the "Dragon Ball Z: Rock the Dragon" set, which contains the first 53 episodes and three movies done by the Canadian cast. Including the original "It's Over 9000!" scene that became the subject of video memes.

Oh lawd will buy for lulz mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom