• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sorry Schadenfreude. I get caught up in One Piece discussion and I am trying my damnedest not to spoil any major plot details past 206. You are free to hit me with an episode of GXP as punishment if I go too far.

Why aren't we hyping up the new series you guys?

RACING WITH GIANT ROBOTS!

Oh man, I remember a lot of the series. Some of the moves these guys pull are so fucking broken it isn't even funny. And the pimping!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sorry Schadenfreude. I get caught up in One Piece discussion and I am trying my damnedest not to spoil any major plot details past 206. You are free to hit me with an episode of GXP as punishment if I go too far.

RACING WITH GIANT ROBOTS?

789shadow

Banned

CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES NASCAR IN GIANT ROBOTS

I remember covering the 2005 World Gaming Championships in New York, and one of the attractions was a sneak peek at the revamped IGPX. I had really liked the original 1999 miniseries version, I thought it had alot of promise.

At the time they really didn't announce all the changes that were made to the show, I remember the other bloggers/writers/fans etc initially going "wtf" at the new direction. The show basically went from battles with armored power-suits to racing ... with power-suits. However their were things everyone could see back then that made you think they were hard at work those 6 years revamping the show.

They used CGI to animate not only the battles, but
a few of the regular scenes such as the Liz Ricarro workout session in ep. 1
. There seemed to be the promise of a story every bit as good as the cloak-and-dagger-ish one the miniseries had. And also they still had great music from artists like Amon Tobin and Ninnjatune, who seemed to do a fuckton of TOONAMI songs back in the day. I remember saying, "Y'know if they give this show enough press it should do prettty damn well." And they did!

But for some reason back then, it just didn't take off. Maybe it was the years away killing its initial hype. Maybe people didn't like the whole racing concept, which I wasn't thrilled with myself. Maybe it just wasn't a good show, who knows? But from what I've read from the old longtime Cartoon Network/TOONAMI guys on the [adult swim] boards, they're happy to see the show return. And considering the [adult swim]/Neo-TOONAMI bump crappy shows like Thundercats/GXP have got, it's a fantastic decision to give Akins/DeMarco's baby a second shot. How long before we see #IGPX3rdSeason trending?

Ultratech

But for some reason back then, it just didn't take off. Maybe it was the years away killing its initial hype. Maybe people didn't like the whole racing concept, which I wasn't thrilled with myself. Maybe it just wasn't a good show, who knows?

I remember when it aired some years back, and watched some of it.

Just never could really get into it. It's certainly not bad, but I just wasn't terribly interested in it.

Seda

AxUhh8z.png

I remember when it aired some years back, and watched some of it.

Just never could really get into it. It's certainly not bad, but I just wasn't terribly interested in it.
I know and what's weird? I felt the same way. I was kinda sad they changed the plot quite a bit from the miniseries, but I wasn't like "Fuck this I ain't watching it". Show had a fantastic VA crew, a great timeslot at 10 PM, and you had Production I.G. doing the animation. Yet I barely watched every other episode... it's a shame, because it was the first real original series by TOONAMI, and alot of Swimnuts remember what Big O Season 2 did and expected bigger things. Yet it just didn't happen that way.

EDIT: For people who don't remember it, here is a long trailer for the miniseries back in 1999.

Now I see they're trying to do the same and do the whole "tomorrow starts tonight" stuff. Dammit shut up, Blum.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You know any sort of excitement that I have for the new era of Toonami is being tempered by the fact that fucking Bleach is there, waiting to bore me for 1/2 hour.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You know any sort of excitement that I have for the new era of Toonami is being tempered by the fact that fucking Bleach is there, waiting to bore me for 1/2 hour.

I don't know... tonight's episode sounds pretty damn trollish. We might we some entertainment out of Aizen's smugness.

Seda

7dWL3fM.png

So it's an Easter Egg?

(earlier he said there's a review, a "goodie from a friend", and a special surprise.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom