• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I actually thought that was a joke text, in jest if you will. But it's totally serious isn't it.

That episode of SAO might be the worst individual one yet, with the coma marriage crap and the non-sister junk. I know some people eat this stuff up, and that's fine I guess, but it's like everything I don't like about anime (juvenile romances, waifus, pandering). Especially after the only potentially interesting thing in the series for me (first villain's motives for everything) falling completely flat, uh, let's just say it's not even slightly enjoyable.

I actually thought that was a joke text, in jest if you will. But it's totally serious isn't it.

That episode of SAO might be the worst individual one yet, with the coma marriage crap and the non-sister junk. I know some people eat this stuff up, and that's fine I guess, but it's like everything I don't like about anime (juvenile romances, waifus, pandering). Especially after the only potentially interesting thing in the series for me (first villain's motives for everything) falling completely flat, uh, let's just say it's not even slightly enjoyable.

See this is why I prefer SAO part 2 to SAO part 1. Yes it's all pandering male power fantasy crap that is awful, but part 2 at least goes "yep that's what we are and we're rolling with it". Part 1 kept trying to act like it was some deeper/serious series. In terms of movies Part 1 of SAO is like Jaws 2/3 trying to be a good but is awful, part 2 of SAO is like Sharknado or Sandshark where it knows it's stupid and just ratchets up the stupid to 11.

My example might be a bit extreme but you get the idea, also the fact part 2 of SAO is story focused without tons of time/content skips makes it a god send over part 1.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
See Seda, one of the things I live for in anime especially when you got a group watching is an utter trainwreck.

If I hadn't had been so busy back then I would have joined in for GXP. But this? This SAO train is going places. Places I like. Extra waifus of the taboo variety? Extremely evil villain with no hint of subtlety? Extra plot and backstory to keep "the fans" coming back? If you paid attention in the opening the obvious
Yui is coming back
non spoiler spoiler?

This is what I live for! The extreme reactions! The utter hate and sometimes feigned disgust!

EkD5FQ8.gif

I live for the MADNESS!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wait I thought that was from the parody series?

If im remembering right its the 2nd episode of shippuden when naruto started spoiling jiraiya's book's ending to kakashi, causing him to cover his ears and freak out and allowing them to grab the bells

Reactions are certainly amusing. I wouldn't be watching SAO by myself for sure.

Watched the first 15ish episodes in a marathon then watched the last 10 in a marathon. Afterwards I shared the series with two friends and they marathoned it over the course of a weekend. We all met up for dinner at TB (Taco Bell), we sat down for a moment and silence, finally my buddy broke the silence with "wow SAO is just so bad, it was a train wreck I couldn't turn away from" and that summed up our feelings.

789shadow

Banned
Hey by the way Seda, when Space Dandy starts, we should just make a new Toonami OT and have it be the Space Dandy/Toonami OT. Also move it to OT.

Seda

Hey by the way Seda, when Space Dandy starts, we should just make a new Toonami OT and have it be the Space Dandy/Toonami OT. Also move it to OT.

I think that makes sense. Things could get awkward with an official thread like most new animes get + Toonami thread + anime thread.

Probably will have to discuss more, but off hand I think moving this thread to OT (maybe just for Saturday nights) would be sensible with a brand new premiering show.

I think that makes sense. Things could get awkward with an official thread like most new animes get + Toonami thread + anime thread.

Probably will have to discuss more, but off hand I think moving this thread to OT (maybe just for Saturday nights) would be sensible with a brand new premiering show.

I was worried about that, anime discussion already gets split between a series OT and the anime gaf thread proper. At the same time I feel like merging the Space Dandy OT with Toonami OT would create issue where during the week half of us are discussing Toonami stuff and half are just discussing Space Dandy. Maybe just keep the Toonami OT and Space Dandy OT separate and just post a link in the OP of the Dandy OT saying "come watch the episode live as it airs at Toonami GAF here"

Seda

I was worried about that, anime discussion already gets split between a series OT and the anime gaf thread proper. At the same time I feel like merging the Space Dandy OT with Toonami OT would create issue where during the week half of us are discussing Toonami stuff and half are just discussing Space Dandy. Maybe just keep the Toonami OT and Space Dandy OT separate and just post a link in the OP of the Dandy OT saying "come watch the episode live as it airs at Toonami GAF here"

Was thinking something similar.

Toonami |OT| == Live (dub) watch reactions and such
Space Dandy |OT| == General anytime discussion

Although of course we can discuss Space Dandy in here as well. There might be some discussion split now matter how it is done.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Toonami |OTx| The OFFICIAL HOME OF SPACE DANDY

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It still blows my mind that there is a dub premiere of anything but it being the "successor" of Cowboy Bebop would make the most sense.

Although of course we can discuss Space Dandy in here as well. There might be some discussion split now matter how it is done.

Also there will be some people who will only want to or will only be able to discuss the subbed version as it'll probably be available on all the various simulcast websites. Not that we don't ever discuss subbed anime, but I feel like 95% of Space Dandy conversation in this thread will be about the dub and the impact it has on Toonami ratings with 5% comparing it to the sub.

Branduil

There are certainly going to be people who watch Space Dandy but don't watch Toonami so merging the threads obviously wouldn't make sense. In the end it will be discussed all over the place, but especially in the Space Dandy OT, Toonami, and AnimeGAF threads.

Seda

Funimation tweeted that they are going to have subbed episodes available, although we don't have specifics. Based on what DeMarco said, it'll be some time after the dub airing right? Maybe a few days, a week, unsure? I might be wrong on this.

Hmm, perhaps it would be best to simply have those watching the dub on Toonami stay in here while those wanting to wait for the sub (how backwards, lol) can stay in the Space Dandy OT. This would be ideal for spoilers, so those who watched the dub can discuss the episodes freely and those wanting to avoid spoilers can easily do so by staying in another thread.

I'm just brainstorming sorry for the ramble.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Funimation tweeted that they are going to have subbed episodes available, although we don't have specifics. Based on what DeMarco said, it'll be some time after the dub airing right? Maybe a few days, a week, unsure? I might be wrong on this.

Hmm, perhaps it would be best to simply have those watching the dub on Toonami stay in here while those wanting to wait for the sub (how backwards, lol) can stay in the Space Dandy OT. This would be ideal for spoilers, so those who watched the dub can discuss the episodes freely and those wanting to avoid spoilers can easily do so by staying in another thread.

If that is how it's going to be then my thread name really does make sense :lol

789shadow

Banned

It would probably be best to figure out the specifics with the AnimeGAF mods.

Also, I think Space Dandy might just get Evilore in here. He did watch Attack on Titan, though he hated it.

Japan is 14 hours ahead of us, so when Space Dandy premiers on Toonami it'll be 11:30PM our time it'll be 1:30pm on Sunday in Japan. Let's assume Space Dandy will air on Sunday nights in Japan that means the simulcast would be up sometime on Saturday for us (some please correct me if I'm wrong). There obviously could be a delay on the official simulcast, but that won't stop fansub groups from having the episodes available a few hours later.

Also I don't think splitting discussion is a bad thing at all, most people will come to this thread to comment on the show as it airs, then head to the SD OT to in depth discuss the show exclusively while we'll discuss it in comparison to other shows airing on the block and it's ratings impact on Toonami. Anime GAF will continue to do the anime gaf thing.

Jintor

See this is why I prefer SAO part 2 to SAO part 1. Yes it's all pandering male power fantasy crap that is awful, but part 2 at least goes "yep that's what we are and we're rolling with it". Part 1 kept trying to act like it was some deeper/serious series. In terms of movies Part 1 of SAO is like Jaws 2/3 trying to be a good but is awful, part 2 of SAO is like Sharknado or Sandshark where it knows it's stupid and just ratchets up the stupid to 11.

My example might be a bit extreme but you get the idea, also the fact part 2 of SAO is story focused without tons of time/content skips makes it a god send over part 1.

I don't believe this. I don't get a single hint of self deprecation or B-movie wink-to-the-audience in SAO s2 so far.

Seda

Also I don't think splitting discussion is a bad thing at all, most people will come to this thread to comment on the show as it airs, then head to the SD OT to in depth discuss the show exclusively while we'll discuss it in comparison to other shows airing on the block and it's ratings impact on Toonami. Anime GAF will continue to do the anime gaf thing.

Yeah it could be a little awkward but agree. We'll have to see what Duckroll and Dresden (and any interested non-frequenter, really) think.

As of right now, I'm thinking:

1.) Toonami Thread could move to OT for the dub premiere, for visibility and whatnot. I feel most people watching, even non-regulars can discuss the dub in here. There won't be many restrictions as to spoilers/discussion of Space Dandy, as we'll have the usual rules that anything that has aired will be fair game for unmarked spoilers. I might move the thread back to Community during the week as we ramble on about McDonalds and whatever else we talk about..

2.) Space Dandy OT will stay in OT. People can discuss the dub in there too of course at any time, but might have to be careful with spoilers, because of those not watching the dub or otherwise watching late. Whoever does that thread can decide how they want to take care of spoilers.

And with that I'm out for the night. zzz

I don't believe this. I don't get a single hint of self deprecation or B-movie wink-to-the-audience in SAO s2 so far.

As I said it's not an exact one to one, but my enjoyment of part 2 is similar to my enjoyment of a b-movie. Part 2 is pretty much just looking at the list of "anime harem power fantasy cliches" and saying "challenge accepted" in the same way any b-movie has a list of "80's action/horror cliches" and says "challenge accepted".

LOLDSFAN

There's a reason I abandoned the MAL community. I would go crazy(er) if I tried to post there any more...
I've tried time and time again to go to the episode posts to see if I can find any good discussions, but I'm always disappointed.

I expect them to talk about X scene or some that I noticed in the episode, but it always boils down to bah this anime is inferior to the manga/novel. Or I can't wait to see X scene that is in the manga/novel.

So really the only use MAL has for me is just a good way to archive my anime watchings.

That sounds like a good idea.

Also as an aside, you know these Toonami OT's fill up pretty fast. Would it be a good idea to change the format up to monthly OT's? AnimeGAF seems to go by season. College Football GAF goes by week. OT7 started in October and ended in November. I can only imagine the discussions will increase once Space Dandy starts airing.

hummingbird?

hummingbird.me

Basically like MAL but IMO easier to use and more visually attractive. It also doesn't get bogged down in all the pointless information MAL has, it's 5 list which are categorized as

Series I'm watching, series I've played on hold, series I plan to watch, series I've completed, and series I've dropped

You can simply click an arrow to increase the episode count from your main list, it also automatically moves shows from plan to watch/on hold to currently watching when you click the arrow to increase the episode counter.

It has the standard forums, tracking, recommendations based upon what you've watched, but I just like it's easier design and use.

Jintor

As I said it's not an exact one to one, but my enjoyment of part 2 is similar to my enjoyment of a b-movie. Part 2 is pretty much just looking at the list of "anime harem power fantasy cliches" and saying "challenge accepted" in the same way any b-movie has a list of "80's action/horror cliches" and says "challenge accepted".

So is Bruce Campbell going to turn up or what?

Seda

Also as an aside, you know these Toonami OT's fill up pretty fast. Would it be a good idea to change the format up to monthly OT's? AnimeGAF seems to go by season. College Football GAF goes by week. OT7 started in October and ended in November. I can only imagine the discussions will increase once Space Dandy starts airing.

We can go monthly, it'd be more organized perhaps. I don't think it matters too much. They all blend together anyway, haha.

LOLDSFAN

I guess I'll join in the fun and make a Hummingbird account too. :p

It appears the website is still in Beta. I hope they stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom