• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What makes these Nazis think they can take the other world on? Roy alone would wreck the shit out of them in like 20 seconds.

I mean, you can say "'because it's fiction' is a shitty excuse," but that's basically what it boils down to and you either accept it or not. It's like asking why there's two gates in Brotherhood. In my opinion, the gates, Truth, the principals of alchemy, et al are so far above the characters as to be supernatural, and such things should be allowed creative leeway.

A better question than "why doesn't alchemy flow both ways" (because doing so would, as I said, mean they wouldn't be able to use the real world thing, which is pretty core to the '03 anime) would be "what does Earth get from deaths in Amestris?" It's an unanswered question, but not one that's explicitly denied nor an actual plothole.

this only makes sense when the show just kind of tells you to run with it. FMA03 makes every effort to explain itself. it explains how alchemy works, it explains a hell of a lot of other things. it clearly wants to make this seem plausible to some degree, and just abruptly stopping those explanations is not something you get to do when you've opened the floodgates. it's why Sword Art Online doesn't get away with most of the shit it pulls regarding plausibility; it explained everything, trying to seem believable. this is the same principle. FMA03 explained so much that it doesn't get to call the rest it didn't feel like explaining "magical realism" or "just fiction" or whatever.

they have an army of robots. why does being able to use alchemy suddenly make the use of the real world impossible? that makes no sense. asking "what does Earth get" is the core of my question here. since it's never explained, it's left up to the viewer to figure out why. and one of the questions that emerges from that is "why does alchemy only work one way?"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yes, the real writing fail of this movie is the pointless and meaningless character deaths. Lazy writing.

And then aliens from a different dimension go back home and Ed marries Winry. Ed's coat flies off thanks to a gusty wind and Shia Labeouf picks it up. Then Ed takes it from him and puts it back on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That is decidedly ironic since alchemy in this FMA comes from
the souls of those who die in war on our side of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom