• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think it's an advanced form of port begging. They don't want to buy a Switch, despite all the games on it they want to play, so they want all those games to suck so Nintendo goes third-party and brings said games to their preferred system.
Makes sense, considering I deal with the reverse of a Nintendo-only fanboy coworker who questions why a game isn't on a Nintendo console despite giving 5 different & detailed reasons.

....speaking of which, just last week, he asks me when the next Direct is. I tell him "We just had one not too long ago, & they usually space them a few months apart"....cut to this week & he asks me again when the next Direct is. Like dude, I just told you not even a week ago. What part of "FEW MONTHS APART" do you not understand? Not to mention, how would I know? I'm not some uncle who works at Nintendo.

Tenumi

Banned
I wish the animators of that had just said fuck it and went nuts. Put the mouth in the middle of the eyes (or above it). Get rid of any semblance of a chin and make the eyes even bigger. It's not like you'd be artistically compromising yourself any more than you already had.

Hard to believe that is a work of KyotoAni, considering the beauties they've created since then.

Then again, maybe it was just how the Key style translated to animation.

Xe4

Banned
Hard to believe that is a work of KyotoAni, considering the beauties they've created since then.

Then again, maybe it was just how the Key style translated to animation.

Only thing I've ever seen by them is A Silent Voice, which I thought was pretty good. I can respect their other stuff, but have never really liked the art style.

Mizerman

I think it's an advanced form of port begging. They don't want to buy a Switch, despite all the games on it they want to play, so they want all those games to suck so Nintendo goes third-party and brings said games to their preferred system.

"Wah! Not muh game system!"

So here is something that I found kinda interesting. So we know the Thundercats reboot was cancelled because it wasn't selling toys. The new Voltron show apparently still needs to sell toys. Without going into spoilers, a character disappears in that show in the second season, but was brought back sooner than planned, because executives wanted that character back to sell toys. (Source. Spoilers obviously.)

Action-animation over here still revolves around toys even on netflix.

Morlas

These fools can't handle dapper Mario
mario-edge-2.jpg

Mizerman

So here is something that I found kinda interesting. So we know the Thundercats reboot was cancelled because it wasn't selling toys. The new Voltron show apparently still needs to sell toys. Without going into spoilers, a character disappears in that show in the second season, but was brought back sooner than planned, because executives wanted that character back to sell toys. (Source. Spoilers obviously.)

Yeah, that's the major reason why Young Justice was cancelled initially.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, not much has changed. Shows in the west are still marketed by en large to children and exist mostly to sell toys.

Shit, even anime exists to sell merch, be it manga or t-shirts or figurines. They just aim for a wider variety of audiences.

Also, I still have to watch Voltron. It was either that or Wakfu and I eventually decided on Wakfu, but it's definitely next on my list.

I wish they made more toys of anime characters that you can actually play with and aren't just super detailed statues or pop/nenderoids which are way too fragile.

Crocodile

A pretty good interview with Sabat about all things Dragon Ball and its dub

"Let's all go see Yamcha" was an add-libbed line. So good <3

I've still only watched the first season of new Voltron but I've got to say that's pretty disappointing to hear.You'd think a Netflix show would be free from these pressures :(

Morlas

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
According to the Dragonball wiki:

Statistically, 1% of Earthlings are half-breeds with some other race, 7% are monster-type, 17% are animal-type, and the remaining 75% are standard human-type (Homo sapiens).

Are you telling me their previous king, or one of his ancestors, fucked a blue dog?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I completely agree with the whole "it was really the fact there was no way to watch the original versions" part. Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh were handled fine for the most part, but others like One Piece were clearly butchered & took so many years to get its original version.

I kind of get why it was done, licensing & to avoid confusion among younger consumers & parents, but it must've sucked to hear One Piece was finally licensed & it was by 4Kids of all things. Must've been the equivalent of "CRAP, SENTAI GOT THE RIGHTS?!"

Tenumi

Banned
According to the Dragonball wiki:

Statistically, 1% of Earthlings are half-breeds with some other race, 7% are monster-type, 17% are animal-type, and the remaining 75% are standard human-type (Homo sapiens).

So does that mean that catgirls are canon to Dragonball?

On a side note, sounds like my parents are looking at getting rid of our cable TV sub, so I'll have to see how that effects me in the future with regards to watching Toonami. Of course, subject to change.

caliph95

So does that mean that catgirls are canon to Dragonball?

On a side note, sounds like my parents are looking at getting rid of our cable TV sub, so I'll have to see how that effects me in the future with regards to watching Toonami. Of course, subject to change.
Yes they are catgirls
in super

With streaming services and such I never missed having cable at my parents house when I left for uni

caliph95

YO! ya-yo, ya-yo

Dreamin', don't give it up Luffy
Dreamin', don't give it up Zolo
Dreamin', don't give it up Nami
Dreamin', don't give it give it up give it up give it up give it up give it NO!

Grexeno

One Piece was the only awful thing 4kids put out. They censored and played with everything else but stuff like Pokemon and Yugioh still came out well.

Chase17

like how they handled yu-gi-oh season 0

*footage not found*
I wish we got to see them try it. This isn't alcohol it's uhh juice. And that's not a lighter. He's not on fire, just fell unconscious.

It's funny when they made some stuff darker than the original

And instead of dying in an accident, Kuina got beaten into a coma

What? That's hilarious. Tripping down some stairs and dying isn't sufficient I guess lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I will admit THE SHADOW REALM is a rather intimidating name for a kids show. Gives it this "oh god, they're going to their own version of hell" vibe.

.....better than THE NEXT DIMENSION, which is made even sillier now that we know there exist alternative dimensions in Super.

Top Bottom