• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Mizerman

It's funny at how 4Kids tried to edit some of the darker moments, yet end up making it even more darker in comparison. By accident.

caliph95

I will admit THE SHADOW REALM is a rather intimidating name for a kids show. Gives it this "oh god, they're going to their own version of hell" vibe.

.....better than THE NEXT DIMENSION, which is made even sillier now that we know there exist alternative dimensions in Super.
Don't worry Tien can see their parachute they're okay

Morlas

I will admit THE SHADOW REALM is a rather intimidating name for a kids show. Gives it this "oh god, they're going to their own version of hell" vibe.

.....better than THE NEXT DIMENSION, which is made even sillier now that we know there exist alternative dimensions in Super.
Universes not dimensions they're in the same reality

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
JESUS CHRIST

YAJIROBE'S PICKING HIS NOSE

QUICK, BRING OUT THE DIGITAL PAINT THAT COSTS TIME & MONEY TO EDIT HIS FINGER SO IT'S NOT IN HIS NOSE ANYMORE

ALSO CENSOR ROSHI'S KNEE WHILE WE'RE AT IT

NOSE PICKING & OLD MAN KNEES ARE NOT APPROPRIATE

Jarate

Banned
8Bnmiew.jpg

Xe4

Banned
Goku having a tail in Dragon Ball was clearly originally a reference to Sun from Journey to the West. Toriyama just kind of said "fuck it" after that and gave all Sayans tails.

My favorite way Saban and Funimation tried to get around some stuff is when Tien got his arm blown off by Nappa.

"YOU JUST WAIT UNTIL IT GROWS BACK".

Also who else could forget "Home For Infinite Losers" as a stand in for Hell.

ac9943db6b9c2624732361d72db9eec3.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish I had a pic, but for some strange reason, they edited out a thought bubble of Gohan.......thinking of an apple tree.....

Let that sink in, they had to spend time & money......to use digital paint to remove AN APPLE TREE IN A THOUGHT BUBBLE

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
One reason why One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and even Dragonball Z were censored like they were was due to network television and its very strict censoring even compared to cable.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I hate working in the rain. Especially rain that goes for hours.

It's funny at how 4Kids tried to edit some of the darker moments, yet end up making it even more darker in comparison. By accident.

"She fell down stairs and died? No no no can't have that. Instead, she was beaten so bad she was crippled, but survived"

"Shot in the fa-*Toei edit* I mean chest? No no no can't have that. She was locked in a dungeon until she starved to death or something"

And the matter of Bardock being an average fighter, but a Brilliant Scientist.

This doesn't surprise me in the least since old dub Goku was Superman-lite well into the GT dub with his constant heroic speeches.

Eventually when Funimation did dub the Bardock special around 2000, it was completely rewritten and Bardock himself was painted more favorably than the Japanese version.

It's a shame they never bothered to re-dub it with a Kai quality script since it's easily one of the better Z movies.

BatDan

This doesn't surprise me in the least since old dub Goku was Superman-lite well into the GT dub with his constant heroic speeches.

Eventually when Funimation did dub the Bardock special around 2000, it was completely rewritten and Bardock himself was painted more favorably than the Japanese version.

It's a shame they never bothered to re-dub it with a Kai quality script since it's easily one of the better Z movies.

Then Toriyama retconned that with Dragon Ball Minus, the bonus story included with the Jaco the Galactic Patrolman graphic novel that shows Bardock as a caring father.

Then Toriyama retconned that with Dragon Ball Minus, the bonus story included with the Jaco the Galactic Patrolman graphic novel that shows Bardock as a caring father.

Yeah almost everyone likes to ignore the Bardock portion of the manga and even Toei usually references the special over Minus whenever Bardock appears in the games and such. Which is funny considering Jaco is right there in Xenoverse 2 with him as well.

In the grand schemes of things, Bardock is still technically a Toei creation though since he was added in the manga because AT liked the special so much.

I saw a good video series where someone detailed the history of 4kids's rise and fall. A guy named Skippy on Youtube. It talked about how they were good Pokemon and generally Yu-Gi-Oh! were before they started to really buckle down when Sonic X and later One Piece came. The heavy and often ridiculous nonsense that made you ask "How does removing this make any sense?" was brought upon by how in over their heads they got and as a result they thought they could do pretty much anything.

Like, seeing a bunch of characters that were clearly from Japan sing the United States National Anthem on the 4th of July with such lazy editing that not only did their lips not match but at the end of it they cropped out Usopp and put him with the rest of the characters in a way that made it look like his hand and lower half got chopped off was embarrassing to see EVEN as a child who enjoyed the Fox Box.

I found it hilarious discovering some of the later shit they did when they hit Toonzai CW 4kids time.

Like when they were editing Dragonball Z Kai they had some of the Funimation actors come back to re-dub lines that didn't need to be re-dubbed.

Original Kai Vegeta: Let's give him a moment to get this trash off the battlefield.
4kids Vegeta: Let's give him a moment to get his friend off the battlefield.

And the best part is the commercial for DBZ Kai they did where they made Jason Griffith in his Sonic the Hedgehog voice say that Piccolo was a Saiyan just like Raditz.

There was a time when 4kids did good. But there's plenty they put out that was awful. Sorry but their method may have been good at the start but it morphed itself into something unforgivable as it went on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was a time when 4kids did good. But there's plenty they put out that was awful. Sorry but their method may have been good at the start but it morphed itself into something unforgivable as it went on.

4kids just wasn't equipped to handle a serious show. A full on comedy? Yea. Something like Yu-gi-oh, where the entire premise was silly? Sure. One Piece? Nah son.

Mizerman

"She fell down stairs and died? No no no can't have that. Instead, she was beaten so bad she was crippled, but survived"

"Shot in the fa-*Toei edit* I mean chest? No no no can't have that. She was locked in a dungeon until she starved to death or something"

"Behold! Our most deadliest creation! Poisonous...suction-cups!"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The only CW superhero show I liked was The Flash and after season 1 it quickly started going down hill.

Then again the Marvel comicbook shows aren't that great either.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The only CW superhero show I liked was The Flash and after season 1 it quickly started going down hill.

Supernatural my man. Still the GOAT CW show. Despite having run for like half my life it still looks like they give a fuck despite all the budget cuts over the years.

caliph95

Flash had one and a half good season

3 was the worst
Believe it or not, it's significantly better than any of the other CW super hero shows.
Legends of tomorrow got better when it stopped caring and had fun on second season

But yeah Arrow has the best season and had three good seasons and two bad ones

BatDan

4kids just wasn't equipped to handle a serious show. A full on comedy? Yea. Something like Yu-gi-oh, where the entire premise was silly? Sure. One Piece? Nah son.

Yep. On the surface One Piece looks goofy, but it gets into some dark shit.
It's a lot like Go Nagai or the more adult Osamu Tezuka manga, they look cute sure, but then Devilman's girlfriend gets her head on a pike!

... I think I'll take "Kamen Rider for CW" off my "Shows I want to see" wishlist. I'm not counting Dragon Knight, that was trash.

I can only imagine if the manga of Yu Gi Oh was adapted into an anime and 4Kids got the license to that.

Yugi didn't play around in the manga version and lit some dude on fire for losing at a game.

Top Bottom