• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can only imagine if the manga of Yu Gi Oh was adapted into an anime and 4Kids got the license to that.

Yugi didn't play around in the manga version and lit some dude on fire for losing at a game.

The silly premise means that they can change that and not have it be entirely out of place. They wouldn't be able to do something like that with One Piece as the tone and subject matter wouldn't allow it.

Will have to miss Toonami today.

Not 4Kids related, but a recent My Little Pony episode had one of my favorite instances of death being replaced by something far worse. A disease gives you horrible coughs and sneezes, and after a few days, branches start growing out of you, and then you turn into a tree. The tree's flowers produce pollen that spreads the disease. There is no cure (until they discover one in the episode). They get the disease in the first place from a tree, that they never bring up again. It was probably a pony that's still living as a tree.

As for Arrow, season 2 was alright. I hear the most recent season is back to being good.

4kids just wasn't equipped to handle a serious show. A full on comedy? Yea. Something like Yu-gi-oh, where the entire premise was silly? Sure. One Piece? Nah son.

One Piece happened during a time where they were already going down the crapper with how they were handling shit anyway.

The quality of their kid friendly dubs didn't stay the same. It really did get a whole lot worse as they kept getting more arrogant.

I probably followed their shit a little too long in hindsight. Stuff like how they refused to ever let there be a quiet moment in a show because the background music needed to always blare and play some shit was something that you never stop noticing once it's pointed out to you. Seeing the Japanese versions of One Piece, Sonic X, and even Yu-Gi-Oh! gave off a different feeling of ambience because of it. It's not just because those shows had actual soundtracks in their original versions rather than the generic 4kids funhouse music they shuffled through all their same shows but it was also due to the fact that sometimes the soundtrack knew when not to be there at all.

I could try my hand at a video series about how amazing the downward spiral for them truly was. Especially on a business end. Good God.

They lost the rights to Pokemon because of some sleazy business fuckery and had a lot of their own original content end soon after. Then One Piece was taken from them because apparently Toei has "some" integrity and didn't like the way they handled the show. But that left them in a tight spot.

Instead of revamping and trying to acquire and market new things that would become more popular, they instead resorted to the brilliant strategy of replaying Sonic X and whatever new Yu-Gi-Oh! series was out at the time, over and over and over again.

I remember this too. Like, Sonic X had long finished (and I guess ordering a fourth season didn't work out) but it was their most popular show so they just aired like an hour or sometimes two hours of it every Saturday along with the latest Yu-Gi-Oh! show. Definitely gave Fox some sort of clue which explains how they eventually ended up on the CW.

Their original stuff wasn't as popular but it wasn't going to get a chance to breathe with that being their strategy now. You can't have your Saturday morning block be dominated by just two shows like that. They're short enough as it is.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, the Prince of All Saiyans tries to beat some pride into the 6th Universe's Cabba, Goku runs out of time and leaves the world of the living once more, Polnareff aims to take down Centerfold with vengeance on his mind after the murder of Avdol, the newly revamped Barbatos Lupus makes short work of the Dawn Horizon pirate attack on the half-metal mine and Tekkadan finds themselves being solicited to wipe out the pirates entirely, Razor's deadly game of dodgeball continues to ramp up as Gon and Killua scheme to find a way to eliminate the Game Master, a jewel heist gone awry leads Lupin to infiltrate a boy's high school and hijinks predictably ensue, Naruto tries to prank a group of classmates but finds himself on the receiving end, Gene is out of commission after his previous battle with the Kei Pirates but the pirates aren't giving up on their attempts to take the Outlaw Star for their own, Spike and Jet come across a young boy who plays the blues like an old soul, and Eren taps into his true power when confronted with the terror of the Smiling Titan in Attack on Titan's season finale.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 36 - An Unexpectedly Uphill Battle! Vegeta's Great Blast of Fury!
8:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 37 - Don't Forget Your Saiyan Pride! Vegeta vs The 6th Universe's Saiyan!
11:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 37 - Don't Forget Your Saiyan Pride! Vegeta vs The 6th Universe's Saiyan!
11:30 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 136 - Bye-bye, Everyone! Goku Returns to the Next World
12:00 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - 11 - The Emperor and the Hanged Man, Part 2
12:30 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 27 - In the Midst of Jealousy
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 70 - Guts × And × Courage
1:30 - Lupin the Third Part IV - 16 - High School Undercover!
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 177 - Iruka's Ordeal
2:30 - Outlaw Star - 8 - Forced Departure
3:00 - Cowboy Bebop (Uncut) - 6 - Sympathy for the Devil
3:30 - Attack on Titan - 37 - Scream - END

TheSun

Will have to miss Toonami today.

Not 4Kids related, but a recent My Little Pony episode had one of my favorite instances of death being replaced by something far worse. A disease gives you horrible coughs and sneezes, and after a few days, branches start growing out of you, and then you turn into a tree. The tree's flowers produce pollen that spreads the disease. There is no cure (until they discover one in the episode). They get the disease in the first place from a tree, that they never bring up again. It was probably a pony that's still living as a tree.

As for Arrow, season 2 was alright. I hear the most recent season is back to being good.

Oh wow, didn't know body horror was part of the show.
Actually that reminds me of a certain power somewhere...

Anyone who seriously stood in line for that Szechuan Sauce might as well have worn a Jerry mask while they did it.

Especially since it was obvious at that point that it was going to be brought back anyway. And when it is, buy it and eat it like a normal human being.

And then go donate to a charity.

Xe4

Banned
Props to McDonalds for taking advantage of such an obvious opportunity though. They underestimated how much it would've gone to shit though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The horrifying reality of cord cutting is that Turner makes it neigh impossible to watch their shows. Like I would pay money on an app to stream Toonami, but nope!

I wonder if they or Viacom will be the first to give into the new reality.

Grexeno

1:30 - Lupin the Third Part IV - 16 - High School Undercover!

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

snowmint

You guys know that the Sonic X dub already had the JPN text removed by the original company, TMS... but we can still blame 4kids for removing english text though in that show...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Toonami jetstream 2.0
If Adult Swim wasn't owned by Turner, I'm pretty sure they would do something like this.

Aren't there rumors that all the Rick & Morty streams on YouTube are just viral marketing by adult swim to circumvent Turner's archaic rules?

You guys know that the Sonic X dub already had the JPN text removed by the original company, TMS... but we can still blame 4kids for removing english text though in that show...

Well, personally, I don't care about the text being removed. That was the least of my problems with some of the decisions they made.

And did TMS own Yu-Gi-Oh! and One Piece too? Because text was removed from those shows as well.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well, personally, I don't care about the text being removed. That was the least of my problems with some of the decisions they made.

And did TMS own Yu-Gi-Oh! and One Piece too? Because text was removed from those shows as well.

That's Studio Gallop and motherfucking Toei
Yeah, no excuse really

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
God I hate this Family Guy episode.
"The government sucks! Let's get rid of it! Oh no life sucks without it, let's do the government again but I describe it without actually calling it the government."

Top Bottom