• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Spin 4 |OT| Rafa, Fed & Some Guy Wearing a Toupee

speculawyer said:
IGN gives it a 8.5/10 ("Great") . . . but there does not seem to be much interest in Tennis games.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1156185p1.html

Tennis games are def an acquired taste, I don't even know what prompted me to buy Virtua Tennis back on Dreamcast but they have remained an interest of mine since then. I primarily play them in doubles matches co-op against the cpu or with 4 players and my friends and I have always had a good time despite not really following the sport much. I've been playing a lot of singles matches in TS4 and the A.I. is surprisingly fun to play against, haven't dabbled in career mode yet.

Scotch

I'm at level 17 on the career mode now and really enjoying it. The only thing that's bothering me are the long load times (before games but also during menus) and the repetitive music selection. As far as gameplay goes though it's great, haven't enjoyed a tennis game this much since the first Top Spin.

NewBrof

Love the game.

Load times are okay, if you play Top Spin mode (3 games, 3 set)... Then a match runs 15-20 minutes (load times are approx. 60 sec or less)...

Finally, they have included friend invites for the online mode. That was missing in Top Spin 3 ... on PS3 no voicechat (I could not find any settings )... whatever, I am using skype with my brother on the pc

I played online with my Level 6 against a Level 20 and won... the guy did not know how to play tennis.... probably maxed the char out on easy ;)

The coach system is nice. Accepting those side quests, and you get a bonus on different stats or XP... it is almost a Tennis RPG with all that leveling stuff.

EekTheKat

Voice chat worked for a couple games on PS3, though I was playing a friend in a private match. Both of us had bluetooth headsets on and chatted away during a few matches.

RedSwirl

So I tried out the tutorial, and to me it seems noticeably easier to slip into than Top Spin 3. Either they streamlined the system a little bit or just did a way better job of teaching you how it works.

I probably could've gone right in without messing with the tutorial, unlike TS3 where I'd be stumbling all over the place if I didn't spend three hours getting my ass kicked by the tutorial.

I think that in this game they deemphasized the timing of the directional control. Now only mainly only have to worry about aiming and timing your release.

RedSwirl said:
So I tried out the tutorial, and to me it seems noticeably easier to slip into than Top Spin 3. Either they streamlined the system a little bit or just did a way better job of teaching you how it works.

I probably could've gone right in without messing with the tutorial, unlike TS3 where I'd be stumbling all over the place if I didn't spend three hours getting my ass kicked by the tutorial.

I think that in this game they deemphasized the timing of the directional control. Now only mainly only have to worry about aiming and timing your release.

yeah TS3 the penalty for messing up the timing on your swing was that you usually didnt hit the ball. TS4 your accuracy and power to a lesser degree are penalyzed. It's harder to hit an unforced error out but at the szme time its a lot harder to paint the lines with strong shots. The game is more accessible than TS3 and even TS2 but the mechanics under the hood allow it to still play a realistic style of tennis.

msdstc said:
Hows the online play? Is lag an issue? I'm actually pretty interested in getting this.

I've only played 5 matches online so far, first one there was a little bit of lag on the timing needed for the serve, the other 4 matches have been flawless.

hsin

Banned
I echo the praise about the new controls; it definitely captures a sense of realistic tennis gameplay. I did find it hard to adjust coming off a year of Top Spin 3 mechanics but after a few hours, I was able to find some rhythm.

Played the game a few times this week using only Federer on Hard mode exhibition, testing grounds in Aussie Open, scoring set to Classic, 5 sets, 6 games. No Move, just Dual Shock. AI completely obliterated me the first time, to my surprise. I used to play TS3 on Very Hard and completely dominate without even paying much attention.

TS4's AI is ACTUALLY difficult and relies MUCH more on variety, timing and placement. I was able to beat Tomic and Wawrinka with a decent scoreline, including one bagel on Tomic. But Andy Murray is a BRUTAL opponent and I haven't found a way to beat him as yet. He returns really well, really fast, his Wrong Foot skill is sick, hits short balls with pace at CRAZY angles and even if you return them, you're way out of position as he finishes the point off with a winner DTL.

I've gotten closer by mixing up my shot types and shot power instead of instinctively using flat power shots all the time. I'm really impressed with how variety is an important part of the game, as in real tennis. I can't even imagine playing Nadal or Djokovic yet but I'm sure the satisfaction of beating them on Very Hard someday will be more satisfying that the punching bag opponents in TS3.

Absolutely love the addition of an Inside-Out mechanic, which was my big gripe in TS3.

DROP SHOTS actually work now! Never figured out how to do an effective drop shot in TS3 but they are completely viable option in TS4.

I do have a number of issues with the game:

Serving - it's fairly decent and I've gotten the hang of advanced serving. However, like a lot of other people, haven't scored a single ace. I've gotten a few unreturnables but 0 aces. Pros also seem to be posting average serves speeds lower than their real life counterparts.

Signature Styles - I feel lied to by 2K. The "Signature Styles" that were emphasized and promised fell completely flat. As noted by others, swings, footwork and service motions are incredibly generic and inaccurate. Federer doesn't lift his back foot up (like Sampras) when he serves. Roddick's service motion isn't as punctuated as it should be. TS3 had much more accurate interpretations of motions. Even in Create a Player mode, you could tell which groundstroke/serve/personality belonged to which pro. They should have tweaked the motions from TS3 and added a few more instead of starting from scratch. Massive step back, IMO.

Graphics - With a few exceptions, the pros generally have terribly designed faces. They look rushed and unrealistic for the most part. With TS3, people used to think I was watching a real match. Not the case with TS4, as I've been called out on it a few times already.

Anyway, just my initial take on things. Overall, I really like this game for technical gameplay but the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired.

Question: can anyone give me tips on timing shots to get good or excellent? How soon should I let go of a shot button if I want to take the ball on the rise? Before, after or as the ball lands?

mxgt

Banned
I'm currently renting this and it's easily the best tennis game I've played, so much fun even though I absolutely suck at the timings.

hsin said:
I echo the praise about the new controls; it definitely captures a sense of realistic tennis gameplay. I did find it hard to adjust coming off a year of Top Spin 3 mechanics but after a few hours, I was able to find some rhythm.

Played the game a few times this week using only Federer on Hard mode exhibition, testing grounds in Aussie Open, scoring set to Classic, 5 sets, 6 games. No Move, just Dual Shock. AI completely obliterated me the first time, to my surprise. I used to play TS3 on Very Hard and completely dominate without even paying much attention.

TS4's AI is ACTUALLY difficult and relies MUCH more on variety, timing and placement. I was able to beat Tomic and Wawrinka with a decent scoreline, including one bagel on Tomic. But Andy Murray is a BRUTAL opponent and I haven't found a way to beat him as yet. He returns really well, really fast, his Wrong Foot skill is sick, hits short balls with pace at CRAZY angles and even if you return them, you're way out of position as he finishes the point off with a winner DTL.

I've gotten closer by mixing up my shot types and shot power instead of instinctively using flat power shots all the time. I'm really impressed with how variety is an important part of the game, as in real tennis. I can't even imagine playing Nadal or Djokovic yet but I'm sure the satisfaction of beating them on Very Hard someday will be more satisfying that the punching bag opponents in TS3.

Absolutely love the addition of an Inside-Out mechanic, which was my big gripe in TS3.

DROP SHOTS actually work now! Never figured out how to do an effective drop shot in TS3 but they are completely viable option in TS4.

I do have a number of issues with the game:

Serving - it's fairly decent and I've gotten the hang of advanced serving. However, like a lot of other people, haven't scored a single ace. I've gotten a few unreturnables but 0 aces. Pros also seem to be posting average serves speeds lower than their real life counterparts.

Signature Styles - I feel lied to by 2K. The "Signature Styles" that were emphasized and promised fell completely flat. As noted by others, swings, footwork and service motions are incredibly generic and inaccurate. Federer doesn't lift his back foot up (like Sampras) when he serves. Roddick's service motion isn't as punctuated as it should be. TS3 had much more accurate interpretations of motions. Even in Create a Player mode, you could tell which groundstroke/serve/personality belonged to which pro. They should have tweaked the motions from TS3 and added a few more instead of starting from scratch. Massive step back, IMO.

Graphics - With a few exceptions, the pros generally have terribly designed faces. They look rushed and unrealistic for the most part. With TS3, people used to think I was watching a real match. Not the case with TS4, as I've been called out on it a few times already.

Anyway, just my initial take on things. Overall, I really like this game for technical gameplay but the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired.

Question: can anyone give me tips on timing shots to get good or excellent? How soon should I let go of a shot button if I want to take the ball on the rise? Before, after or as the ball lands?

once you get the timing and feel for direction on the serve its really easy to get aces, especially with big servers like Roddick and Sampras. Everyone has a different timing to get a PERFECT on their serves, its usually right as the ball starts decending from its highest point. Oh yeah and I always use the RS for serves, only use the button when I want to do the serve & volley approach serve.

As far as timing for tap shots wait until your player kind of readys his racquet, the timing is a bit early. Power shots you have to wait a little longer. Try the tutorial (Top Spin Academy) as its pretty helpful this time around.

I really want this game but $60 is asking a lot. I loved the demo though, it felt really realistic and I am definitely interested in getting it. I play very casually (offline exhibition games a few times a month with my godlike created player, maybe dabble into career mode) but still only want the realistic experience.

I never played Top Spin 3 so I may get that instead (cause of price). Is Top Spin 4 above and beyond 3 just as NBA 2k11 was far above and beyond 2k10?

I bought Virtua Tennis but I immediately took it back for obvious reasons.

ssolitare said:
I really want this game but $60 is asking a lot. I loved the demo though, it felt really realistic and I am definitely interested in getting it. I play very casually (offline exhibition games a few times a month with my godlike created player, maybe dabble into career mode) but still only want the realistic experience.

I never played Top Spin 3 so I may get that instead (cause of price). Is Top Spin 4 above and beyond 3 just as NBA 2k11 was far above and beyond 2k10?

I bought Virtua Tennis but I immediately took it back for obvious reasons.

yeah there's really no comparison, Top Spin 4 is so far above any other tennis game that it's really not even worth going back. Just hold out for 2 or 3 months, the price will probably drop as it's probably not gonna sell a whole lot of copies.

Shnookums

I've been putting a lot of time into this game this weekend and I think it's fantastic. I am a bit of a tennis game fanatic and have played just about every game released in the last 11 years and to me this is the best of the games that try for a sim approach. It does a surprinsgly good job of replicating pro tennis the way it is played these days (ie many long rallies with winners requiring patient point development to produce).

As for timing the tap for control shots I try to time the tap with the bounce of the ball and this seems to work very well most of the time assuming I'm not out of position.

Okay, I just bought this.

I've only played for about 20 minutes and I've already said "Wow!" three times now. Gameplay is pretty fuckin' awesome.

But, what the fuck? Where did the pre-serve animations go? In TS3 they would wander around a little bit, bounce the ball on the ground a few times, etc. Here players are just frozen in this unattractive "I'm about the throw the ball into the air" stance? Really?

I also think there's a substantial issue with the sound balancing. At the volume I'm playing, the players, the crowd and the sound effects sound great ... then the PA guy comes on he's SOOOOOOO LOUD. Of course no options for this.

I'll also complain that the lighting looks pretty shitty coming off games of Far Cry 2 and MLB 11: The Show, which is a real shame because I thought the lighting in TS3 was top-notch. That was the first thing I said, in fact: I saw the weather forecast say mostly sunny and I literally said out loud, "Ouch, that's your mostly sunny? That's awful." So ... yeah. But maybe it will surprise me at another venue.

The sound issue is going to bug the shit out me. No question about it. The lighting is obviously a non-issue, I just get a hard-on for good lighting. But otherwise definitely very, very impressed. Like I said, I've already had three wow moments in 20 minutes, I foresee many hours wasted incoming.

Shnookums

NEOPARADIGM said:
Okay, I just bought this.

I've only played for about 20 minutes and I've already said "Wow!" three times now. Gameplay is pretty fuckin' awesome.

But, what the fuck? Where did the pre-serve animations go? In TS3 they would wander around a little bit, bounce the ball on the ground a few times, etc. Here players are just frozen in this unattractive "I'm about the throw the ball into the air" stance? Really?

I also think there's a substantial issue with the sound balancing. At the volume I'm playing, the players, the crowd and the sound effects sound great ... then the PA guy comes on he's SOOOOOOO LOUD. Of course no options for this.

I'll also complain that the lighting looks pretty shitty coming off games of Far Cry 2 and MLB 11: The Show, which is a real shame because I thought the lighting in TS3 was top-notch. That was the first thing I said, in fact: I saw the weather forecast say mostly sunny and I literally said out loud, "Ouch, that's your mostly sunny? That's awful." So ... yeah. But maybe it will surprise me at another venue.

The sound issue is going to bug the shit out me. No question about it. The lighting is obviously a non-issue, I just get a hard-on for good lighting. But otherwise definitely very, very impressed. Like I said, I've already had three wow moments in 20 minutes, I foresee many hours wasted incoming.

I agree the volume of the announcer should be dialed down a bit. Thankfully the announcer isn't heard often. And yes it is odd that there is no pre-serve ball bouncing animation. Generally I think they did a great job in advancing the series on multiple significant fronts with this version, but there are a couple of quirks like that here and there. I know they are already talking about a patch so hopefully the announcer volume can be toned down with that.

Shnookums said:
I agree the volume of the announcer should be dialed down a bit. Thankfully the announcer isn't heard often. And yes it is odd that there is no pre-serve ball bouncing animation. Generally I think they did a great job in advancing the series on multiple significant fronts with this version, but there are a couple of quirks like that here and there. I know they are already talking about a patch so hopefully the announcer volume can be toned down with that.

I havent read anything about an upcoming patch, where did you read/hear about it?

The sound in this game is pretty incredible. The footsteps, the rackets sometimes hitting the court, the sliding, and man the crowd reactions are really, really good at times.

If I didn't formally retract my comment about the lighting being shitty it just wouldn't be right. Lighting is great.

Also, I feel almost as guilty complaining about the sound balancing: now that I'm used to it, it's fine. Not an issue at all. (Though audio sliders would still be most welcome.)

At this point my only complaint is with the stamina bar pre-serve. They give you the options for "Always on" or "Pre-serve only" ... where the fuck is my "always off" option? Come on!

Other than that, though, I'm in love. This shall be my tennis game until next gen. No question.

Cheers.

Amazing game.. enjoying it to the max, but the frequent saving/loading screens are super annoying!

I skip deploying XP points because of the time it takes between menues!

I hope they can fix that with a patch or something..

exwallst

No Kinect?
I don't think the world's best tennis game would sell 3M units but there are dueling franchises so I must be missing something.
Agassi must have been using PED and I'm still surprised the incentive to break the story hasn't pushed an enterprising reporter to prove it.

Shnookums

almokla said:
Amazing game.. enjoying it to the max, but the frequent saving/loading screens are super annoying!

I skip deploying XP points because of the time it takes between menues!

I hope they can fix that with a patch or something..

Top Spin games have always had long load times. I don't know what that is all about.

Shnookums

exwallst said:
No Kinect?
I don't think the world's best tennis game would sell 3M units but there are dueling franchises so I must be missing something.
Agassi must have been using PED and I'm still surprised the incentive to break the story hasn't pushed an enterprising reporter to prove it.

No kinect. Frankly I'm glad they focused on the traditional controls. Nothing against Kinect, I just think it's better all around if the game is designed from the ground up for motion controls. PS3 version has Move support and from what I've read it's not well implemented. Maybe EA can make a Kinect version of Grand Slam Tennis.

In TS3 the ladies give each other a hand shake and a cute little dual-cheek kiss; this game they do some kind of bro shake. :lol

There's a dev somewhere going "Ooooohh, man! You know what we forgot to do?" haha

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
NEOPARADIGM said:
In TS3 the ladies give each other a hand shake and a cute little dual-cheek kiss; this game they do some kind of bro shake. :lol

There's a dev somewhere going "Ooooohh, man! You know what we forgot to do?" haha
Cheek kiss for the fellas?

JWong

Banned
Shnookums said:
PS3 version has Move support and from what I've read it's not well implemented.
Oh damn, I wanted a Move tennis game. TTP gave this a whirl yet?

Virtual Tennis the better option?

Yeah this is like the opposite of a 2K game, seems like they didn't pay attention to all those little details that make games like NBA 2K11 shine. Still an awesome game though and hands down the best tennis game I've ever played.

I think I've mastered Very Hard difficulty against the CPU so I gotta try unlocking Expert and I've been destroying all the randoms I've played online except one guy who gave me a good run with Nadal. If anybody on 360 wants some friendly competition hit me up online, my GT is The Visualizer

TheVisualizer said:
Yeah this is like the opposite of a 2K game, seems like they didn't pay attention to all those little details that make games like NBA 2K11 shine. Still an awesome game though and hands down the best tennis game I've ever played.

I think I've mastered Very Hard difficulty against the CPU so I gotta try unlocking Expert and I've been destroying all the randoms I've played online except one guy who gave me a good run with Nadal. If anybody on 360 wants some friendly competition hit me up online, my GT is The Visualizer

There's an even harder difficulty than Very Hard? How do you unlock it? I wanna know because I want some true lifelike competition from the CPU when I get the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Normal is way too easy... my created player won tournaments with breadsticks and bagels all over the place. Maybe I will just up it to Hard or Very Hard and see where it will take me.

A question: is it impossible to change the match rules format once you have set on a career path? I've navigated around through all the menus but I couldn't seem to find the option to do so.

-bakalhau- said:
There's an even harder difficulty than Very Hard? How do you unlock it? I wanna know because I want some true lifelike competition from the CPU when I get the game.

u have to win a Grand Slam tourney in Career Mode on Very Hard. I read you can cheat the game to get this unlocked by winning on any difficulty then changing the difficulty in some menu right before the tourney finishes.

Shnookums

Laughing Banana said:
Normal is way too easy... my created player won tournaments with breadsticks and bagels all over the place. Maybe I will just up it to Hard or Very Hard and see where it will take me.

A question: is it impossible to change the match rules format once you have set on a career path? I've navigated around through all the menus but I couldn't seem to find the option to do so.

I found Hard to be a good starting point in career mode, but it becomes too easy as well. I'm not sure about the match settings.

Vestal

Laughing Banana said:

Normal is a walk in the park.. I have yet to drop game, hell its mostly bagels and golden sets/matches for me.

Finally a tennis games were u can actually ace people.. Advanced Server Slice down the T is my favorite for aces.

Shnookums

Gloomfire said:
Normal is a walk in the park, EXCEPT for the Semis and Finals of Grand Slam Tournaments.

Yeah the AI seems to vary depending on the level of tournament you are playing, which is kind of unfortunate, but I guess they don't want people to get discouraged the first time they face one of the pros, and they don't want to only have the pros appear in the slams.

2K put out a "tuner update" to TS4's gameplay last night. Details in the pic:

2011-04-10224400.jpg

Haven't got a chance to play the game yet, will post my impressions of the changes to serving and drop shots when I get a chance.

M.W.

Picked it up yesterday for $40. Awesome game. I too think it's a tad easy, but the Career Mode definitely stands out. So addicting...

hsin

Banned
Marcellus Wallace said:
Picked it up yesterday for $40. Awesome game. I too think it's a tad easy, but the Career Mode definitely stands out. So addicting...
Try playing against Andy Murray on Expert in a Grand Slam. Jesus.

Yeah i dont know. It was ridiculously easy (career mode btw), then all of a sudden, someone flipped a switch somewhere (no, not the psn switch), and now i can barely make a point. Went from uninteresting because piss easy to uninteresting because my char cant run fast enough to catch them balls. I'm guessing i've just gimped my guy somehow... and he can't keep up with the artificially, arbitrarily increased difficulty level, which happened mid-tournament for no apparent reason.

Jay Sosa

If anyone is interested the game is 25/22€ on amazon.de (PS3/360) right now.

EDIT: Holy fuck..the thread hasn't even 100 replies yet? No wonder the game is so cheap..

Jay Sosa said:
If anyone is interested the game is 25/22€ on amazon.de (PS3/360) right now.

EDIT: Holy fuck..the thread hasn't even 100 replies yet? No wonder the game is so cheap..

not a huge market for tennis games, they kind of missed out on reaching a broader audience by botching the Move implementation, not putting in the time and effort to make it compatible with Kinect and shitting out a piss poor effort for the Wii.

It's an outstanding game nonetheless if you enjoy playing games the old fashioned way with the controller, but tennis is a niche sport and probably even less popular as a gaming franchise and you have to take into account that GAF hates sports games so I wasn't surprised to see the thread not take off...

Well Crysis 2 is also going for $40 on Amazon right now, so initial interest doesn't have to be the cause ... but Visualizer is most likely correct.

Anyway, wanted to mention: I love the addition of full-length matches, but it brings with it an oversight: in-game saves would have been lovely since a lot of my matches are lasting over an hour.

Saw someone on CAG post last week how they bought this for 17.99 used at GameStop. I thought "WTF" and looked it up on their website and damn if they weren't right. Found a copy in-store today, woot. Had a $10 off used game power up rewards coupon with me too, double woot.

lookin forward to giving it a whirl this weekend

Fistwell said:
Yeah i dont know. It was ridiculously easy (career mode btw), then all of a sudden, someone flipped a switch somewhere (no, not the psn switch), and now i can barely make a point. Went from uninteresting because piss easy to uninteresting because my char cant run fast enough to catch them balls. I'm guessing i've just gimped my guy somehow... and he can't keep up with the artificially, arbitrarily increased difficulty level, which happened mid-tournament for no apparent reason.

This happens in every tournament. Around the semis your opponents will start playing like they are possessed. Only advice I can give is, never hit flat. Always hit top spin. Flat shots suck in this game, they have low margin for error and the computer has no problem dealing with it.

Top Bottom