• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

As others have mentioned, give your pet the highest Heal All Spell. It doesn't use it strategically, but it will use it most times that the timer is up. If you're having a hard time with the last boss as a gunslinger(vanquisher) I assume all you're using is yourself and your pet. Load yourself up with the summon skeleton warrior scroll and have about 5 or 6 of them ready when you start the fight. Also give your pet a summon spell (I gave him summon archers and he uses it at the start of most every fight). This will keep all the attention on your summoned creatures instead of on you. And just keep summoning more skeletons every time the timer is up, which I think is every 5 seconds. Then all you need to do is go around using Exploding shot on everything.

As for the patch that got uploaded the other day, it does nothing to fix the stash or the framerate. All it did was fix the clipping in the t-shirt avatar award.

Yeah I'm not going to play Torchlight any more.

Somehow the devs thought it would be a good idea to have that Retire-option near the shared stash. Well I accidentally talked to the retirement woman instead of opening the stash. Didn't notice my error and tried to identify an item. ->My ~40lvl character on very hard is now retired. Cool!

Rocky_Balboa said:

Somehow the devs thought it would be a good idea to have that Retire-option near the shared stash. Well I accidentally talked to the retirement woman instead of opening the stash. Didn't notice my error and tried to identify an item. ->My ~40lvl character on very hard is now retired. Cool!

Use the other stash instead? But yeah, that's a stupid place for it. Oddly one of the fixes in the patch coming up is to make it so its harder to click on NPCs or summoned creatures when you're attempting to get loot/items.

Kinspiracy said:
Use the other stash instead? But yeah, that's a stupid place for it. Oddly one of the fixes in the patch coming up is to make it so its harder to click on NPCs or summoned creatures when you're attempting to get loot/items.
I use both. I was going to give some stuff to my secondary character. Now I lost everything that my main character had on. I'll give TL2 a chance if it is released for X360.

Curufinwe

Level 33 for the fame Achievement.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/torchlight/achievement/50617-Superstar.html

Kinspiracy said:
As others have mentioned, give your pet the highest Heal All Spell. It doesn't use it strategically, but it will use it most times that the timer is up. If you're having a hard time with the last boss as a gunslinger(vanquisher) I assume all you're using is yourself and your pet. Load yourself up with the summon skeleton warrior scroll and have about 5 or 6 of them ready when you start the fight. Also give your pet a summon spell (I gave him summon archers and he uses it at the start of most every fight). This will keep all the attention on your summoned creatures instead of on you. And just keep summoning more skeletons every time the timer is up, which I think is every 5 seconds. Then all you need to do is go around using Exploding shot on everything.

I had trouble with the last boss on Hard until it got stuck on top of me near the entrance and stopped using any attacks. I was able to stand still and pump arrows into him for a couple of minutes until he died.

GhaleonEB

I'm worried I may have run into a bug. I'm supposed to find some Deep Amber for this one dude in town on Level 19 of the mine, but I just cleared the boss on Level 20 before realizing I had missed it. I've canvassed 19 several times over now, and it's not there. Is there any known issue with quest items not appearing (or disappearing)?

GhaleonEB

redhot_ said:
You probably sold it :/ done it a few times myself, you are going to have to abandon the quest.
Wait, the game lets you sell quest items? WTF

I'm pretty sure I never picked it up. But if I did and sold it, shouldn't the shop keeper keep what you sold for a while? Or at least, quest items you sold?

*checks*

Nope.

That's...broken. So the entire quest line is toast now?

redhot_

Yes, the quest that i messed up with was the character in a green robe. kind of where you enter the town. If its that npc he should just give you a quest for the next floor, IF.. he doesn't just decline and talk to him a 2nd time for a different floor level. Just got to be careful and keep an eye out for the (Quest Item) beside its name.

GhaleonEB said:
Wait, the game lets you sell quest items? WTF

I'm pretty sure I never picked it up. But if I did and sold it, shouldn't the shop keeper keep what you sold for a while? Or at least, quest items you sold?

*checks*

Nope.

That's...broken. So the entire quest line is toast now?
Nope. Nothing so epic. You just lose any rewards you would have gotten for turning in that item. If you abandon it, you can just go on to the buried treasure in the next level wherever he says that it is.

I'm currently on my first run through - playing on very hard after finding normal to be to easy, and the boss on the 34th floor of the dungeon is thoroughly kicking my ass. My ranged attacks (electric wand) don't seem to do anything to his dragonkin. Are they special dragonkin?

Rocky_Balboa said:

Doesn't it ask you if you want to Retire ? I mean unless you just keep clcking A without looking at the screen not that it matter, I was done with the game when I hit about level 38 on the PC anyway.

antiquegamer said:
Doesn't it ask you if you want to Retire ? I mean unless you just keep clcking A without looking at the screen not that it matter, I was done with the game when I hit about level 38 on the PC anyway.
Yeah it asks. The menu was on an unidentified item and I thought that I would identify it. You press A to identify, but when it is in the retire menu, pressing A will retire your character.

I was at the point also where I would quit soon, so it is not that bad. It would have been much worse if the game had multiplayer.

Curufinwe

Thank for posting about it, though. It meant I was on the look out for her when I went to my shared stash after beating the end boss. I can easily see how it could happen.

BMF said:
I'm currently on my first run through - playing on very hard after finding normal to be to easy, and the boss on the 34th floor of the dungeon is thoroughly kicking my ass. My ranged attacks (electric wand) don't seem to do anything to his dragonkin. Are they special dragonkin?

They were very resistant to damage even on Hard. I got lucky and the boss just stopped spawning them.

Chris R

Anyone else hate how truly random the loot is? I'm still wearing shit I found on like level 8 down on 32. Even with nearly 35% magic find I'm getting lots of junk. I just keep on enchanting the lower end gear and hope that I don't lose everything. Also I still haven't even seen two pieces of gear belonging to the same set. Not to mention named mobs dropping just gems and maybe a green :/ I just hope that torchlight 2 has this stuff figured out (more like titan quest please! I actually got sets formed in that game)

Rant over, game is finally starting to get somewhat hard at like level 28.

I love playing this game from XBLA, would have never had given it a try if it would have stayed PC exclusive, glad they ported it and it plays just fine. Recommended it to my friends as well. :D

GhaleonEB

BMF said:
Nope. Nothing so epic. You just lose any rewards you would have gotten for turning in that item. If you abandon it, you can just go on to the buried treasure in the next level wherever he says that it is.
That's good to know. I have this routine where I touch base with all three quest givers in town before I sell anything, and only sell after transferring objects to my pets inventory one at a time so I am making sure I review them all. Not sure how I could have sold it, but I'm glad the quest line isn't borked.

Shambles

I started it up again. This time moving to hard difficulty and installed a bunch of mods. Ended up creating a sorceress and the mods with the harder difficulty is making it a lot more enjoyable. Playing it on vanilla at normal difficulty was too easy for me personally and ended up not being terribly fun. This time around is better. Just the potion stacking mod alone makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Raide said:
Finished the game on Hard. Is there anyway to restart on V-Hard or is it only the Shadow Dungeon stuff now?

You can make a new character on Very Hard and you'll have both the infinite dungeon and the story dungeon available from the start.

Raide

jim-jam bongs said:
You can make a new character on Very Hard and you'll have both the infinite dungeon and the story dungeon available from the start.

Ahh ok. Whats the retire option? Does that do anything useful?

Raide said:
Ahh ok. Whats the retire option? Does that do anything useful?

Sort of, you get to select one item which get's "heirloom'd" (they prefix the name with your character's name and hand it to the new character) and you start with an extra skill-point. I've only ever retired one character, which was to start a hardcore run with the bonus skill point and weapon, but to be honest I don't think that it was really worth sacrificing the other character.

Raide

jim-jam bongs said:
Sort of, you get to select one item which get's "heirloom'd" (they prefix the name with your character's name and hand it to the new character) and you start with an extra skill-point. I've only ever retired one character, which was to start a hardcore run with the bonus skill point and weapon, but to be honest I don't think that it was really worth sacrificing the other character.

Hrmm...doubt I will do that then. :D

Thanks for the info.

Polk

Rocky_Balboa said:
Been playing the game for awhile now and started again with very hard. I'm playing a gunslinger character focused on exploding shot and critical damage. It was pretty easy until I got to the hell place with the dragonkin and devil ladies. Now I have to go inch by inch or I die. Any tips? I maxed out my armor skill to get more armor but it doesn't seem to help that much. Sometimes I still get killed from one hit. Other times I lose about 80-90% of my life.
With Vanquisher you need to invest in traps. You can throw more than one so killing enemies are quite fast.

Raide

After finishing the game twice on Hard, I need to keep one character going just for the achievement. :D Might retire one later.

Shadow Dungeon thing is pretty cool, nice to have a random mix of enemies and different areas. Its unlimited number of floors right?

Anyone else have really random luck when it comes to gear drops? I have a lvl 33 Vanquisher that still does not have all good gear, yet my lvl 16 Alchemist has all orange gear.

I also found (XBLA version) If you hold the button down for ranged spells like bombs/traps etc, it seems to throw it max distance. Handy for Trap Vanquisher, so you can throw a trap right into a group.

Raide

sweetvar26 said:
Is there a New Game+ after you beat it or do you just have to start it all over? I'm talking about the X360 version.

The Shadow Dungeon opens (Bottom SE corner) and it is open to new characters and old. Basically and infinite dungeon that mixes the several themes and monsters but no actual New Game +. Other than just starting again on a harder setting, or retiring one character to pass an item on to another one, thats the only other option.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I really don't want to double-dip since I got bored of the game on PC rather quickly, but I really do think I like the console controls a lot more.

Big props for them getting that done so well.

Raide

Shoogoo said:
Yes please

If they did the same as Torchlight XBLA and give players direct control of the character, it would work really well. I am buying D3 on PC Day 1 but not a console version does not seem that strange or impossible.

Vamphuntr

I downloaded the 360 trial version and the game runs very poorly for me. I wonder if it's my 360 that is starting to die. The framerate constantly drops when there are monsters on the screen and when I summon imps the games freezes for like 1-2 secs. I was going to buy it but after playing the trial I'm really disapointed with the game performance wise. The game seemed deep from the little I played though.

Chris R

Finally beat it. I'd like to go back for more, but like I mentioned earlier, the lack of consistent loot is really making me think twice about spending too much more time playing. Might do a pure melee dude for a few hours though, since that is the only class I haven't played for a few hours+.

ssowinski

Wish this was also PSN. Played a bit of it on PC but the new control scheme sounds like an improvement (plus it ran like crap on my laptop).

rhfb said:
Finally beat it. I'd like to go back for more, but like I mentioned earlier, the lack of consistent loot is really making me think twice about spending too much more time playing. Might do a pure melee dude for a few hours though, since that is the only class I haven't played for a few hours+.
There's a perk that gives you much better magic item find that can built up to level 10. I'm finding that I'm going through potions of respec quite a bit.

Gvaz

Banned
I think I maxed this out even on my laptop.

I got this on release date I loved it so much. PC version was worth every penny.

Chris R

BMF said:
There's a perk that gives you much better magic item find that can built up to level 10. I'm finding that I'm going through potions of respec quite a bit.
I have it maxed and also had some gear with +magic find too. Sure I was seeing more purples, but they were still crap compared to my gear from earlier levels with a few enchants on it. I ended up finding an upgrade for my offhand pistol from the weapon vendor and enchanting it like 10 times to get it to where it was a marginal upgrade from the drop I had earlier.

its a really good game. I have a Level 45 Destoyer/Titan. I have to say again they need to fix the random drops for Torchlight 2.

I play loot whore titles and this games loot drops are in the bottom third in quality easily.

Bosses droppng all whites and a green, useless for your level blues and purples ar super common, I am getting under powered useless equipment in the endless dungeon with mobs that are two levels above me. I used the same weapon for 10 to 12 levels easy before something any better came along.

Raide

Just some thought for those wondering about Retire. Retired my 32 Vanquisher and you get to pick 1 item that your next character starts with in their backpack. Don't forget that the item gets upgraded but still retains the stat/level requirements. Also, you can put everything in the Stored Stash (If it works) if you plan to just make the same class again.

Edit: Just noticed that some skills lower the requirements for certain weapon classes. Filling this up first will help you use certain weapons much quicker than you normally would.

Edit2: Also works for the armour requirements if you spec into the right skill. Just hit lvl 9 and I already have a few of my bits back. :D You get all the crazy bonuses and damage buffs you had before but at much lower levels.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm worried I may have run into a bug. I'm supposed to find some Deep Amber for this one dude in town on Level 19 of the mine, but I just cleared the boss on Level 20 before realizing I had missed it. I've canvassed 19 several times over now, and it's not there. Is there any known issue with quest items not appearing (or disappearing)?

can you forge one and use that instead?

got my 200/200 last night. not sure how much more i'll play it (yes i'm a whore) but i just wanted to say thanks to runic again for producing a fine game and a fine console port. looking forward to hearing torchlight II announced for a full retail release on consoles.

mollipen

I just picked this game up a few days ago, and it seems my cat is determined not to let me play it. We recently upgraded from a 32" LCD to a 46" LED, and something about this new TV (the size, the beauty, those amazing fourth yellow pixels) attracts his attention in a way the old TV never did.

But Torchlight... oh my god. He'll sit there looking up at the screen the entire time, and either continually bat at my pet or my character (when in menus), or simply meow at the screen.

I know some people have to sneak game time in when out of sight of significant others or children, I now have to try to play in secret without my pet knowing.

Curufinwe said:
Now I've got my Fame up to level 33 I think I'm done with Torchlight. It was well worth the $15.
My God how long does it take to get to level 33 fame? Feel like I've put 15-20 hours into this game and I'm only at level 24. Jeesh!
Also still never figured out how to rank up my Zombies and skeleton archers. Still at Rank 1/11. I just don't get it and others have tried to help here. I think I need a power point presentation. I'm dumb! Playing on 360.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
There was spell ranks from scrolls, and then spell rank bonuses from Offensive/Defensive/Charm talents.

Top Bottom