• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Those reward dungeons and the NPC that does his own dungeon quest really throw off the leveling. I'm about 4 levels above the mobs in the main dungeons. It also doesn't help the difficulty that I'm spawning multiple skeletons to fight on my behalf, but I also taught my dog to spawn skeleton archers. It's hilarious to see my skelly army owning the place.

mrpeabody

GhaleonEB said:
I don't understand how the reputation system works - I'm getting more famous, and that means...what?

You level reputation separately from experience. Each level of reputation grants a skill point but no stat points.

Brandon F said:
Might start over myself. Wish the game gave an indication of how the difficulties work. I assumed it was 'Diablo' style where Normal was balanced for new characters and then you would move to Hard and beyond on NG+.

Instead Normal is the dumbest shit I've experienced in a game such as this. Might just jump into V. Hard and take the pain.

Also disappointed in the quality of the port. Game does not seem optimized well. Somewhat janky performance, lots of slowdown issues, and using a ranged character it is FILLED with threshold zones where your shots won't actually reach targets until you cross those invisible points(even when in the same little room as enemies watching the bullet trails pass right through them!). Again, just needed more time it feels, as the 360 is more than capable of handling this game better.

On the flipside, I -adore- using the controller for playing this, and it's the primary reason I don't want to return to the Steam version

MAN!

Wish I could try this with a gamepad! I'm currently deployed and am away from my Xbox.
So I've been playing the Steam version (finally I know, but hey, I'm in love with it at least!) and am crazy annoyed how small the hitzones are when playing a mage/ranged character. Alot of the time, you end up running right up to the damn mobs as they slightly move and you cursor goes from sword to hand. Titan Quest feels better in this regard (also playing right now) and has an option to stand in place while you attacked.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note I sent a tweet to Runic asking about TLII... My reply I got is...

@Vanillalite after XBLA news has died down and we release a title update, will begin focusing on TL2 news!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Title update? Framerate fixed? Please?

Also, I'd like a fix to turn off the narrator guy. I don't know what's up, but my troll pet constantly fights at low health, triggering 30 seconds of "Your Pet is Fleeing".

Curufinwe

NullPointer said:
Nope. They decided they already had enough complexity in mapping things to the gamepad so it had to go. This is according to an interview with the dev on the latest Bombcast.

I heard that interview but after playing the demo I don't understand why weapon sets could have Left/Right on the D-pad. Skill sets are Up/Down.

Curufinwe

I've got 3 Achievements waiting for me when I finally unlock the game since I already sent my pet to town and (temporarily) turned it into another creature.

Curufinwe said:
I've got 3 Achievements waiting for me when I finally unlock the game since I already sent my pet to town and (temporarily) turned it into another creature.

Someone said earlier in the thread that Demo Achievements don't unlock when you buy it. He had to restart.

KaYotiX

Banned
Game looks great on 360, one thing that bugs me is its just mash on attack and win....kinda like Dragon Age 2.

I know it was the same way on the PC and Diablo is the same but on PCs it just feels different when your clicking a mouse.....i dunno. Still an awesome port though and Torchlight 2 needs to hurry up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
AgentOtaku said:
MAN!

Wish I could try this with a gamepad! I'm currently deployed and am away from my Xbox.
So I've been playing the Steam version (finally I know, but hey, I'm in love with it at least!) and am crazy annoyed how small the hitzones are when playing a mage/ranged character. Alot of the time, you end up running right up to the damn mobs as they slightly move and you cursor goes from sword to hand. Titan Quest feels better in this regard (also playing right now) and has an option to stand in place while you attacked.

On 360, you can just hold down X and use the left stick to aim shots freely for ranged attacks, like a turret. Barely touched the PC version, and only played melee, so I'm not sure how the clicks handled it.

Curufinwe

MiloFoxburr said:
Someone said earlier in the thread that Demo Achievements don't unlock when you buy it. He had to restart.

Yeah, that just happened to me, so I'm going to create a new character and play thru the first five levels on Normal to get them. Then I can resume playing as my main character on Hard.

Maybe I should have unlocked the game from within Torchlight, instead of doing it from the dashboard.

Curufinwe said:
Yeah, that just happened to me, so I'm going to create a new character and play thru the first five levels on Normal to get them. Then I can resume playing as my main character on Hard.

Maybe I should have unlocked the game from within Torchlight, instead of doing it from the dashboard.

I unlocked the game while playing it and all it did was reset back to the main menu and didn't give me the achievement.

Despite issues with the framerate, which are definitely not as bad as I and others have said with the exception of sometimes when tons of enemies are attacking at once, this is a great great game. I know that's a big DUHHH to PC gamers, which I'm not, but now I'm going to be jealous when PC gamers have part 2 and I need to wait.

I'm having a lot of fun with the spells and sharing them between myself and my pet. I gave my dog a team heal and true to form for dogs, he stupidly uses it when we dont need it. Dumb dog. I also gave him a triple Skelly Archers spell and he actually uses that pretty well. Between my dog, his three archers, my own skelly warriors, and a pet sword that fights on my behalf, I tear up a lot of bad guys (on hard). Definitely one of my best downloadable game purchases.

The biggest design problem with the game is that all the numbers and pages of UI are so damn overwhelming at the start if you are not used to playing a game like this. I would rather the UI sort of unlocks as you encounted important items that make use of it. Dropping the player straight in is just discouraging.

Still, I played through and am probably over half way throught the game now with a pretty great character. I am really impressed with many parts of the game and it being less than 200 meg is size is a pretty cool effort on the developers side.

Warm Machine said:
The biggest design problem with the game is that all the numbers and pages of UI are so damn overwhelming at the start if you are not used to playing a game like this. I would rather the UI sort of unlocks as you encounted important items that make use of it. Dropping the player straight in is just discouraging.

It's a lot more beginner friendly than most of the games of its type.

I just finished, and I had a great time, but I still don't understand some parts of it. Why do the 4 extra spells say 1/10 on their tool tips but they can't be upgraded when you level up?

So the game doesn't scale the mobs as you level? Like above, doing the side quests with the guy that spawns a portal each time, doing those doesn't make the main quest mobs level? Weak.

Square Triangle said:
So the game doesn't scale the mobs as you level? Like above, doing the side quests with the guy that spawns a portal each time, doing those doesn't make the main quest mobs level? Weak.

There's an additional dungeon in the post-game where enemies level with the player...

Hige

Kinspiracy said:
I just finished, and I had a great time, but I still don't understand some parts of it. Why do the 4 extra spells say 1/10 on their tool tips but they can't be upgraded when you level up?
You have to put points into the various mastery traits in the skill tree to level up your spells. On my summoner build alchemist, 10 points in charm mastery puts all of my skeleton/zombie spells at rank 11/11. You can tell what type of spell it is by highlighting it and it should say whether it is a charm or offensive spell etc.

Hige said:
You have to put points into the various mastery traits in the skill tree to level up your spells. On my summoner build alchemist, 10 points in charm mastery puts all of my skeleton/zombie spells at rank 11/11. You can tell what type of spell it is by highlighting it and it should say whether it is a charm or offensive spell etc.

Yep, I picked up on this finally last night when I googled the skill tress of the PC version. Their tooltips are far better than ours.

And as for scaling enemies, just beat the game. Another game with new quests etc opens up and it is very challenging.

played the demo for XBLA, and I'm impressed. The game is fucking awesome. They really did nail the "Diablo" feel. The framerate is pretty bad though, but other than that my other complain would be that its 1200 points.

So, despite playing the hell out of Diablo/Diablo II and countless Diablo clones, Torchlight is the ONLY Diablo-style game I've ever beaten.

I love this game. So much.

And after playing Torchlight, and seeing how decently Sacred 2 turned out on consoles, I saw we need more RPGs like these on consoles. They handle wonderfully with controllers, and in my opinion, much better than the point-and-click style that I've been sick of for over a decade.

The only thing bothering me about the XBLA release is the font size. It's inconsistent. The UI, overall, is pretty bad for a console game.

Has there been any word on Torchlight 2 for the consoles? With Torchlight XBLA being, in my opinion, the more streamlined version (framerate aside), I would really like to have Torchlight 2 for the consoles.

The Mana Legend said:
Has there been any word on Torchlight 2 for the consoles? With Torchlight XBLA being, in my opinion, the more streamlined version (framerate aside), I would really like to have Torchlight 2 for the consoles.

They claim they're waiting to see how it sells. Not sure how many sales they need to greenlight it. At the moment if you check the leaderboards, there's currently 60,000ish gamertags listed. Obviously that doesnt mean they're all individual purchases, but it's not bad for 3 days.

The Mana Legend said:
So, despite playing the hell out of Diablo/Diablo II and countless Diablo clones, Torchlight is the ONLY Diablo-style game I've ever beaten.

I love this game. So much.

And after playing Torchlight, and seeing how decently Sacred 2 turned out on consoles, I saw we need more RPGs like these on consoles. They handle wonderfully with controllers, and in my opinion, much better than the point-and-click style that I've been sick of for over a decade.
What consoles REALLY need these days is another Dark Alliance type game, where I can co-op with a buddy and kick ass together.

Despite the framerate hiccup here and there, I really enjoy the 360 version especially playing Alchemy class. The pad works really good for this game and I enjoy the "feedback" more than mouse clicking / moving.

That said, can't wait for Torchlight 2 on PC this summer.

Rad-

Demo was pretty good but I just don't see myself playing it that long without co-op. Hopefully the sequel will hit XBLA and will have 4 player co-op. Day one for that.

Pydte

Really enjoying the game on the 360. The pad works well with these types of games, and, in some ways, feel superior to a traditional mouse and keyboard setup.

Initially, I was somewhat disappointed with the port, especially the unstable framerate. However, as you progress, the hiccups are further between. It seems the first couple of areas (level 1-15) are more packed with detail, and thus the main sinner of loss of frames. In the latter areas, the game runs silky smooth, even with a lot of enemies on the screen and crazy spells thrown around.

In the end, I'm satisfied with my purchase. Ended up enjoying it more than on the PC. That being said, I won't be missing out on Torchlight 2 on the PC this summer.

Feindflug

Finally got to play the demo yesterday and I have to say that even though the game plays well and the controls are /menus are fine I'm really disappointed by the frame-rate - when the game started I was "the game runs at 60fps? that's really nice" but when enemies and spells are on screen the frame-rate crawls to 20fps with some really annoying tearing on top of that...they couldn't make the game run at least at steady 30fps? seriously? I wanted to support the game and the devs but I'm definitely not going to spend 1200 points on a bad port like this one.

Just got to Floor20

...man, the lack of any real narrative really starts to hurt the game as it goes on. I mean, don't get me wrong, this is probably THE best dungeon crawler next to the Diablo franchise from a gameplay standpoint. The problem is that the shit starts to wear on you as it's the same thing for hours on end. Also think it's a bit too loot happy as you are just skipping stuff the majority of the time as it kills the pacing constantly stopping to check everything...

Something tells me though that I'm probably in the minority though.

Ashkeloth

I had the same problem when I tried this on the PC aeons ago, too.

I don't remember what floor I got up to, but I vaguely remember some sort of ghost boss fight.

The lack of narrative just makes this game feel a bit like a chore when you keep getting items that aren't a significant upgrade over what you already have, and the generally low difficulty of the game outside of hard mode makes the upgrades that you do get feel sort of useless.

The best way to play Torchlight is to throw on some of your own music, let your eyes glaze over, and enjoy the numbers flying everywhere and the occasional improvement of your character.

I'll probably pick this up on the 360 eventually, though, since I'm sort of aching for another loot RPG. The last real one I played was Sacred 2 a couple of years back which I found to be a bit of a drag.

Ashkeloth said:
I had the same problem when I tried this on the PC aeons ago, too.

I don't remember what floor I got up to, but I vaguely remember some sort of ghost boss fight.

The lack of narrative just makes this game feel a bit like a chore when you keep getting items that aren't a significant upgrade over what you already have, and the generally low difficulty of the game outside of hard mode makes the upgrades that you do get feel sort of useless.

The best way to play Torchlight is to throw on some of your own music, let your eyes glaze over, and enjoy the numbers flying everywhere and the occasional improvement of your character.

I'll probably pick this up on the 360 eventually, though, since I'm sort of aching for another loot RPG. The last real one I played was Sacred 2 a couple of years back which I found to be a bit of a drag.

...and this is precisely what I've started doing. Podcasts help along with constant breaks.

If you're into RPGs for story and dialogue, this game is not for you. What little story there is, is crap. Torchlight is for loot whores and loot whores alone. And for people that love aimless dungeon crawling. I've put more time into it than I have most full retail releases.

Kinspiracy said:
If you're into RPGs for story and dialogue, this game is not for you. What little story there is, is crap. Torchlight is for loot whores and loot whores alone. And for people that love aimless dungeon crawling. I've put more time into it than I have most full retail releases.

Lootwhoring is meaningless when most of it is useless...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think it's the story, really. For the most part, it's that the combat was never all that great unless you specced into interesting skills. As a Vanquisher, the moment you get Explosive Shot maxed out, I can guarantee you'll start to get bored with the game. If you're a minion master, you may be bored just wanding after a while. It's a very immobile and static game, but if you get the right skills (and play on Hard/Very Hard), it can be a lot of fun. You're crippling your experience if you play on normal and go with the max damage output skills and talents.

I've been finding charge/slash/chains as a Devastator on VHard to be pretty fun. At least you're moving around a little.

anaron

Runic elaborates on title update:

We will be releasing a title update. Our goal is to get it submitted sometime early next week. Once that’s been done, it will take a few weeks to get through certification via the folks at Microsoft.

I’ll be updating this as I get more information, but here’s an overview of the issues that we’re looking at right now, as well as status and workarounds where available:

Shared Stash items missing - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Cause: Stash file gets overwritten when creating a new character. Workaround: Load an existing character before making a new one.

Shared Stash only holds 42 items - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Cause: Stash size incorrectly set. Workaround: None available.

Avatar t-shirt clipping issue - This issue was patched in our first title update which went out at release, but some users have still been noticing a problem, so this is currently under investigation.

Cause: Unknown. Workaround: None available.

Chakawary HP Bug - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Cause: Minor glitch. Workaround: None available.

Recovering a gem causes crash - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Cause: Item was in pet inventory when trying to recover. Workaround: Move item to character inventory before attempting to recover.

Summoner alchemist interaction issue - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Performance issues - We've added some particle and collision optimizations; hopefully, this will resolve some of the issues you're seeing. This will be addressed in the next title update.

Pet transformations time out in title menu - This issue doesn’t affect gameplay and likely won’t be addressed.

Cause: Timer continues to countdown in title menu. Workaround: None required, as the timer reverts to its previous state upon loading the save.

Chapter segment voiceovers may be intermittently inaudible - This issue is under investigation.

Unable to proceed in the Lost Fortress, Level 27 - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.
Workaround: None available.

Stuck Characters - We anticipated this issue ahead of time, so there’s an easy fix. Just hold both bumpers on your controller as you load your game save and you should be sent to the beginning of the floor.

Please let us know if you find anything else that seems like it might be a bug. If you can provide some steps to help us reproduce the issue, that would be helpful. The best way to contact us is via the forums here on the XBLA Help and Support board or via email at customerservice@runicgames.com. Thank you!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Good stuff, I'm excited to see it released. Despite my complaints, I've been having a lot of fun with it. More than on PC, anyway.

Raide

Great to see them reacting with early title updates.

I love loot games. The best thing about Torchlight is being lvl 2 and getting Orange items. :D Really loving the controls and once you sort the menus etc, that is also really good. The framerate is the only issue that damages the overall package but I hope they can fix that with a TU.

I hope this does well for Runic Games because I really want TL2 on 360 with the co-op.

Tobor

Stuck Characters - We anticipated this issue ahead of time, so there’s an easy fix. Just hold both bumpers on your controller as you load your game save and you should be sent to the beginning of the floor.

Oh, thank goodness. I thought my game was ruined. It should say this in the help screen.

This game is so very awesome, just got my 200/200. What's up with the 'Superstar' achievement unlocking at Fame lvl 33, though? I thought Fame technically maxed out at 50?

Top Bottom