• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

How do you upgrade your spells. I want to upgrade my zombies but it won't let me assign skill points. Says they are ranked 1/10 or 1/11 I forget.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
CitizenCope said:
How do you upgrade your spells. I want to upgrade my zombies but it won't let me assign skill points. Says they are ranked 1/10 or 1/11 I forget.

In your talent trees, there will be skills for offensive magic and defensive magic and so forth. Each point you put into one of those skills will raise the spell level of all spells associated with it.

xbhaskarx

For the longest time I was never dying, but now I'm at some levels with lots of big trees that breathe on me and kill me unless I use like two health potions per tree. Am I doing something wrong here? I don't remember having this problem when I played the PC version...

Ugh, while the Alchemist is cool it probably is not my style. I upped the Golem way up and he runs interference while I spam the hell out of the chain lightning and the fireball spell. I definetly built him wrong as a straight spellcaster. There are obviously deeper builds.

Once you start regenerting mana you don't worry about loot as much as what your magic rating is. I think I am still wearing armor from level 12 at level 26 becasue it has +16 to magic rating, +8 to magic rating and I just rain lighting and ice and fire on mobs.

Raide

Grisby said:
About how many hours of playtime could I get out of this? Say, if i started playing on hard?

It'd be the XBLA one.

Depends on how much you love loot. :D

xbhaskarx said:
For the longest time I was never dying, but now I'm at some levels with lots of big trees that breathe on me and kill me unless I use like two health potions per tree. Am I doing something wrong here? I don't remember having this problem when I played the PC version...

What character are you playing?

Pydte

MyEpitomeCliché said:
This game is so very awesome, just got my 200/200. What's up with the 'Superstar' achievement unlocking at Fame lvl 33, though? I thought Fame technically maxed out at 50?
As far as I understand, the achievement pops at level 33 because that is the highest named rank (Demigod, I think). At that point forth, your character's title will remain identical no matter how many levels you advance.

Speaking of which, how did you go about getting to fame level 33? I completed the game yesterday on hard, killing all the special mobs and doing the different side quests along the way, and I only managed to get to level 25. The endless dungeon is a bit on the tough side, so I'm considering a method for grinding the last couple of levels. What would be my fastest option here? (Playing as Alchemist, btw.)

EviLore said:
In your talent trees, there will be skills for offensive magic and defensive magic and so forth. Each point you put into one of those skills will raise the spell level of all spells associated with it.
Thanks!
Damn why does it seem so confusing to me. I mean over all the game has been easy even though I'm playing on hard but I had a tough time understading how you can have Zombies I or II and have different ranks. Haven't played one of these games in a while. I'll figure the menus out by the time I'm done with the game I hope. =D

TimeLike

Damn those Enchantment Shrines straight to hell!! I didn't know they carried the risk of disenchantment like the wizard in town. Threw my best weapon in it, and presto blamo it got wiped clean. Damage went from 530 down to 250. Guess I should've dashboarded. Lesson learned.

TimeLike said:
Damn those Enchantment Shrines straight to hell!! I didn't know they carried the risk of disenchantment like the wizard in town. Threw my best weapon in it, and presto blamo it got wiped clean. Damage went from 530 down to 250. Guess I should've dashboarded. Lesson learned.
=O
Did not know that also.

Curufinwe

Tobor said:
Oh, thank goodness. I thought my game was ruined. It should say this in the help screen.

I somehow managed to get my character unstuck without using this method, but I don't know how I did it, so I'm glad to know I can do this if it happens again.

Stuck Characters - We anticipated this issue ahead of time, so there’s an easy fix. Just hold both bumpers on your controller as you load your game save and you should be sent to the beginning of the floor.

A little hint for enchantments...Okay, well, kind of a cheat, but whatever!

The game only autosaves when you use the "Exit to Title" button on the pause menu, or when you switch locations. It does NOT autosave when you go directly to the dashboard...

...So before you use an enchantment shrine or the enchantment guy, exit to title (thus autosaving it) and then reload it. If your enchantment deletes all of the other enchantments, you get nothing, or you get something really crappy, quickly EXIT TO DASHBOARD (do NOT press Exit to Title). It will NOT autosave it. Then restart Torchlight and it will load from your last autosave...which was right before you did your enchantment. Try again, and if nothing good comes out if it, exit to dashboard and do it again!

I only do this when my enchantments all get deleted, but yeah. It's one of the earliest design flaws I noticed with the game.

Chris R

Is the framerate really that rough? The GB quick look mentioned it a bunch, and I already have this on steam, but playing with the controller looks interesting.

rhfb said:
Is the framerate really that rough? The GB quick look mentioned it a bunch, and I already have this on steam, but playing with the controller looks interesting.

It's not too bad and you get used to it. They are fixing it in the next patch anyways.

And having put dozens of hours into the PC version (though never beating it) about a year ago, and I can say that the 360 version with its controller feels MUCH better than the inconsistencies of the mouse in the PC version. The interface is also a lot smoother.

Interfectum

I hate to say it... because I wasn't expecting this, but I'm enjoying playing Torchlight with a controller over playing it with M/KB. I can't quite put my finger on why but it's probably because I feel like I have more control over the character with a controller.

Diablo 3 with a controller doesn't sound so crazy to me now.

Pydte said:
As far as I understand, the achievement pops at level 33 because that is the highest named rank (Demigod, I think). At that point forth, your character's title will remain identical no matter how many levels you advance.

Speaking of which, how did you go about getting to fame level 33? I completed the game yesterday on hard, killing all the special mobs and doing the different side quests along the way, and I only managed to get to level 25. The endless dungeon is a bit on the tough side, so I'm considering a method for grinding the last couple of levels. What would be my fastest option here? (Playing as Alchemist, btw.)

I finished the main game at Fame level 22. I just hit 33 fame at floor 18 of the endless dungeon. It's more difficult (on hard) but it's also a lot more fun than the normal dungeons were. Huge clusters of boss-type fights. Loved it.

Gowans

Interfectum said:
I hate to say it... because I wasn't expecting this, but I'm enjoying playing Torchlight with a controller over playing it with M/KB. I can't quite put my finger on why but it's probably because I feel like I have more control over the character with a controller.

Thats what I think, I did with Deathspank. Hopefully it has controller support on release.

JaggedSac

rhfb said:

Those damn corpses that explode poison when they die cause the game to chug like crazy. Other than that though, no other problems I have run into. Game is crazy fun. Started on Normal though and played for a while, crazy easy, guess I am goign to restart with a ranged character.

Chris R

Any idea how far the patch is out? MS Cert process can take forever and I don't mind waiting for some time, just as long as the time isn't like 6 months.

rhfb said:
It chugs pretty hard from time to time. The controller is awesome though.

Can someone tell me if wands are affected by the magic attribute? I've started with a mage, but seem to be going the route of having a melee weapon in one hand and a wand in the other. I take out my enemies at a distance until some manage to close the gap, then I bash them with an axe or sword. Is there much point in building my magic attribute in this case? Would I have been better off with the fighter class?

anaron

rhfb said:
Any idea how far the patch is out? MS Cert process can take forever and I don't mind waiting for some time, just as long as the time isn't like 6 months.
I'm guessing a week or two tops.

Raide

Anyone else finding the Troll pet to be really, really good? Love how it tanks things and does the knockback and splatter. :D

I did the old "Enchant weapon and loose the stats" trick. That is the only thing that really bugs me. It should only apply to higher end stuff. Learnt a good chunk playing the PC version, so things seem easier to grasp now.

I do wish they would add some bars and counters for player buffs and summoned pet HP bars.

The framerate does chug really badly when you end up with a huge group around you. Especially annoying if there are 3 named mobs in there and AoE stuff all over the place. Very nasty but I hope they sort it in the TU.

I downloaded the 360 demo on a whim, liked it, and ended up picking this up on Sunday. It's lots of fun and certainly addictive.

A couple of questions:
1) Does the shared treasure chest work right now, or do I have to wait for the patch?
2) I started on Normal which is turning out to be way too easy. What difficulty do people recommend for a somewhat-challenging-but-hopefully-not-too-frustrating play through?

Cornballer said:
I downloaded the 360 demo on a whim, liked it, and ended up picking this up on Sunday. It's lots of fun and certainly addictive.

A couple of questions:
1) Does the shared treasure chest work right now, or do I have to wait for the patch?
2) I started on Normal which is turning out to be way too easy. What difficulty do people recommend for a somewhat-challenging-but-hopefully-not-too-frustrating play through?
2) I had the same issue. I've switched over to VERY HARD, and that's pretty fun. I've even died a couple of times and the Brink fight was a bit of a challenge. If it becomes too hard, I'm sure I can grind in the optional dungeon maps.

Pydte

Cornballer said:

A couple of questions:
1) The shared stash does work, but suffers from a nasty glitch, which wipes its content. It is perfectly usable, though, provided you know how to avoid the glitch, and luckily Runic has some guidelines on that matter.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?p=141736#p141736

Doodis

Question from a dungeon-crawling beginner:

What's the difference between the alchemist and the marksman (besides magic use)? Seems like those are both long-range fighters. Is there a real difference? It would be nice if the alchemist was a mix between the melee guy and the marksman character.

On a related note, are there any suggestions for which character to use as a noob? I'm not necessarily looking for a hard core challenge, just want to have some fun leveling and looting.

webrunner

Doodis said:
Question from a dungeon-crawling beginner:

What's the difference between the alchemist and the marksman (besides magic use)? Seems like those are both long-range fighters. Is there a real difference? It would be nice if the alchemist was a mix between the melee guy and the marksman character.

On a related note, are there any suggestions for which character to use as a noob? I'm not necessarily looking for a hard core challenge, just want to have some fun leveling and looting.

Alchemist has area effect abilities and summon abilities.

If you go down the summon tree and have summon magic equipped you can have like, a dozen things.

Been playing the game for awhile now and started again with very hard. I'm playing a gunslinger character focused on exploding shot and critical damage. It was pretty easy until I got to the hell place with the dragonkin and devil ladies. Now I have to go inch by inch or I die. Any tips? I maxed out my armor skill to get more armor but it doesn't seem to help that much. Sometimes I still get killed from one hit. Other times I lose about 80-90% of my life.

Pydte

Rocky_Balboa said:
Been playing the game for awhile now and started again with very hard. I'm playing a gunslinger character focused on exploding shot and critical damage. It was pretty easy until I got to the hell place with the dragonkin and devil ladies. Now I have to go inch by inch or I die. Any tips? I maxed out my armor skill to get more armor but it doesn't seem to help that much. Sometimes I still get killed from one hit. Other times I lose about 80-90% of my life.
I had the exact same experience. I think it's a matter of boosting your elemental resistance, as the devil ladies does a fair amount of especially lightning and poison damage. If your gear is a bit low on said resistance, I found that using the elemental protection spell would greatly increase my chances of survival, or at least it made me able to avoid getting one-shotted by their spells. That's the best advice I can give.

Curufinwe

GhaleonEB said:
"Your pet is fleeing."

That's because my pet is a goddamn idiot! Stay out of the poison, Nall. Out!

Is there a way to give your pet health potions and have them automatically use the potions when needed?

Curufinwe said:
Is there a way to give your pet health potions and have them automatically use the potions when needed?

I havn't done this on 360 but when I was playing on PC, I teach my pet Self Heal spell and my kitty would heal himself.

Pydte said:
I had the exact same experience. I think it's a matter of boosting your elemental resistance, as the devil ladies does a fair amount of especially lightning and poison damage. If your gear is a bit low on said resistance, I found that using the elemental protection spell would greatly increase my chances of survival, or at least it made me able to avoid getting one-shotted by their spells. That's the best advice I can give.
Yeah, I thought it might be something like that, but haven't yet found a proper spell for that.

Boss loot drops are too random and unrewarding.

In a single playthrough I have had an area final boss (Krag) drop only a single potion and the final boss in the game drop a single purple, a single green and the rest were potions and other white items.

The game is real good, I just was not satisfied with boss loot drops really. That is my only gripe.

Curufinwe

antiquegamer said:
I havn't done this on 360 but when I was playing on PC, I teach my pet Self Heal spell and my kitty would heal himself.

Damn. I sold my self-heal spell because I wasn't going to use it myself and I didn't think about it giving it my dog. Hopefully I'll get another one soon.

see5harp

Interfectum said:

Hell yes. Played the demo for mac not too long ago and really enjoying the mobility with a controller. Only issue I have is switching hotkey sets, but I assume that will get better once you orgainze your spells/abilities in a way that makes sense.

Rocky_Balboa said:

Ran into this exact problem with my ranged Alchemist. Last boss literally took 40 minutes >=(

FrankT

As I have finally had a chance to sat down with this I can say an this game is excellent. Put on my headphones and just get lost in it. Excellent sound to go with that gameplay as well. So glad this made it to XBLA.

So good to have a go-to loot game on the 360.

but seriously, even on very hard, it's piss easy. Is there a bug with the difficulty or something? also, the update did nothing for the stuttering for me.

wwm0nkey

So even though we already know its coming how much more likely do you guys think Diablo III will hit consoles in light of the success of this and how extremely well it controls.

Tobor

antiquegamer said:
Forget self heal. I gave my dog a heal all spell, and he heals me too.

Tobor said:
Forget self heal. I gave my dog a heal all spell, and he heals me too.

Ha ha, I didn't think of that. I hae another trick to heal my pet is to send him back to town, he comes back fully heal. I have a Legendary set piece that give pet +80% travel time along with another piece that give +24% so everytime I send my pet he comes back almost instantaneously. Very handy..

Finished the main game on hard and the last boss just kick my butts, I have about 5 death up to that point and final boss that stat went up to 45 :/

I didn't have too much problem with last dungeon but then again may be because I play PC version before and know what to expect. It was harder for sure but if you make sure you have good resist.

Start another char on Very Hard, thinking about Retire the first guy but I think I will keep him around for now I remember on PC it was handy to have a high level guy dumb bunch of potion into the share stash for the new character.

Smision said:
So good to have a go-to loot game on the 360.

but seriously, even on very hard, it's piss easy. Is there a bug with the difficulty or something? also, the update did nothing for the stuttering for me.

Hmm...I would say on Hard it was pretty fun to the point of not being frustrating. I just start on very hard and it seems to be just about right. May be you need to play on Perma dead mode. :)

The framerate still stutter for me but I think it's better. I think I only have one or two pause during the last two areas and big drop on the final boss, but someone mention that frame get better later on so it could be that.

I don't know how much they can harness power of the 360, the tech is about 5 years old now. My old PC would suffer the same problem with playing game like Titan Quest, Dawn of War and Torchlight. My last PC upgrade is so that I can play Dawn of War II without stuttering and pause.

Top Bottom