• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

syllogism

Ouch was doing really well on very hard but then I found some sort of
randon bonus dungeon after I killed a phase hound
and the enemies are two-shotting me if I let them. I should probably put some points to defense and maybe finally start investing my skill points (i'm level 10 and I still have them all)

syllogism said:
Ouch was doing really well on very hard but then I found some sort of
randon bonus dungeon after I killed a phase hound
and the enemies are two-shotting me if I let them. I should probably put some points to defense and maybe finally start investing my skill points (i'm level 10 and I still have them all)
Battle Alchemist is awesome, you get a stun and a magical shield. Otherwise all the enemies would be tearing me a new one.

Edit: Oh just found what you were talking about. Yeah that was the toughest part yet, but managed to get to lvl 6 there and got a ton of random drops/gold.

Malio

Dangit!@#!&!@! Wanna be home downloading this! How big is it?

Shame about no co-op, but I'm snagging this no doubt.

eznark

Banned
Well I ended up picking it up, no clue when I am going to play it but it's cheap enough that I jumped in. It's kind of funny to see a "netbook" option for settings.

Jo-El

I'm playing on hard. The difficulty seems about right so far. I think I'm going to be playing this game a little too much for awhile...

PuppetSlave said:
Playing on very hard with an army of imps. So far so good, only just started on level 5 dungeon though. Hope I won't regret very hard too much further on.

I love how adorable the game is. Just polished and nice somehow. Love my little imp army :)

Oh how droll...
Literally seconds after I posted the above I met the first boss. You need corpses to summon imps... Boss= no corpses... Taking the boss down took until now...

Specific spoiler :
Poor brink... I gave him new life though by making his corpse into a imp. It's what he would have wanted I am sure.

hadar

Started an alchemist on normal like half hour ago, first time in a while I've gobbled down dinner to come back and play something, so awesome.
Normal feels a tad too easy tho, tempted to start again on hard and go battle alchemist!

Mihku

Played about an hour or so, and I love it. Combat is fun, and from the start you'll get the itemfever. It's basically Diablo, but I like the improvements they made to the formula. The pet is awesome. I really like the fact you can send him to town to automatically sell your stuff. The pathfinding seems a bit wonky though.

Torchlight, Dragon Age in a few weeks and I still have to finish Demon's Souls, RPG overload!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not entirely sure I can wait for the Mac release to get this, especially after the quick look. Has anyone tried running this in crossover?

Defcon

Banned
Chromax said:
Do you find better items on higher difficulty? Are there new game+?

No, items are the same across the difficulties. When you complete the game the graveyard in the town opens up which is an infinite floor dungeon. Max character level is 100. Also, there is always hardcore mode to try. :D

hadar said:
How'd you go about stats? Thinking 2 phys, 2 magic, 1 armor.

Edit: Per level ofc.
Sounds about right I guess. Honestly I have no real idea, i just made it to level 6 with him. It was manageable on very hard. The shield makes things a bit easier. But yeah it mainly seems like you have some defensive abilities and if you don't put too many points into the gauntlet then its all about staying alive in the melee, actually even with the gauntlet skill you are going to get hit a lot until you get it off to stun them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
nubbe said:
My first impression after 10min of playing...
It feels like a perfect mix of Diablo and WoW

So basically, Mythos? That's great to hear they retained what made that game so great.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So much loot :D Been putting most of my points into Str with some into Def with my Destroyer and I'm just ripping things to pieces just now, seems starting with Hard might be the way to go.

It's nice being able to send your pet to go and sell the stuff, would like to see this expanded so it could drop items in your stash or even buy a few items.

Barrett2

bloodforge said:
Bought and downloading now.

So in the last 2 weeks I've bought 7 games :lol

Please don't remind me. :lol

Pretty sure im' dangerously close to a Dr. Phil "gaming intervention." This time of year is relentless with the new releases!

bdouble

thetrin said:
I'm not entirely sure I can wait for the Mac release to get this, especially after the quick look. Has anyone tried running this in crossover?
I couldn't. Actually I didn't even know they were making one till I read the FAQ after the purchase. I might get it eventually.

With the release of Win7 I just decided to bootcamp and get my Steam back on. I haven't had windows for a good 6 months or so now and this is the first game I'm downloading.

thetrin

I'll just dust off my Vaio and boot it up just for this. I'm going to assume that it has roughly the same requirements as Mythos, which my Vaio ran like a dream.

Ok yeah so games bugged. So, as the Vanquisher if you let an enemy die from the bleed effect caused by lvl 1 needle Arc at level 2 you would get enough xp to hit lvl 3. Just from killing 1 enemy. I haven't fully tested this, but yeah basically you can hit lvl 10 before even finishing the 2nd floor.

Edit: It seems to act like a crazy multiplier. All the xp and fame you get is increased several times.

This also works with the higher levels of the skill it seems.

ksimm

This game is so much fun, looks great and feels so polished. Best of all, I can run everything on high with AA and it runs so smooth on my 13" Macbook Pro.

thetrin

ksimm said:
This game is so much fun, looks great and feels so polished. Best of all, I can run everything on high with AA and it runs so smooth on my 13" Macbook Pro.

Bootcamp?

jasonng

Jebus, between this and Borderlands the loot whore in me is on overload. I actually need to lay down after a full session.

ACE 1991

Damn this game is so much fun. Two questions: Is it possible to re-spec in this game? Also, is there a way to turn on v-sync? There isn't one in the options menu.

nubbe said:
Auto looting money!
Thats quite the game innovation.
And to think the Diablo 3 boards are complaining about that...

ACE 1991 said:
Is it possible to re-spec in this game?
Not in the base game. There's a re-spec potion but its rarity is zero. It's there so modders can use it if they want.

Almak

HiddenWings said:
Really? I've been replaying Diablo 2 lately and money collecting was pretty damn annoying this time around. Ultimately rewarding (hah), but annoying.

CiSTM

Banned
Man, there is something wrong with my connection :(
Soooooo sloooow :((
At this rate I have to wait untill tomorrow to play this game :(((
ao2u0o.jpg

Ricker

How long is the demo....it's timed for 10 minutes? 15?? or more...?I want to make sure when I start I can play all of it till it ends...

This game is sooooo good, it compares extremely favorably to the time I put into Diablo 3 at PAX. Super fun, smooth, good loot, Runic did a fantastic job with this game.

HiddenWings said:

Not in the base game. There's a re-spec potion but its rarity is zero. It's there so modders can use it if they want.
Do you know how we can enable it? I made a boo-boo.

thetrin

There really should be a respec option for a specific cost...

I guess I could settle for waiting for mods, but respec is essential for me.

Defcon

Banned
thetrin said:
There really should be a respec option for a specific cost...

I guess I could settle for waiting for mods, but respec is essential for me.

There is a potion you can enable in the editor that is sold at merchants that allows you to respec. Gotta wait for them to release the editor though. :(

So, i downloaded the demo seing as those tits at Valve cant get a demo release on time, and instantly thought FUCK YEAH, the music is Diablo awesome, gameplay just like it, this game pretty much is Diablo :D Then i found out, no multiplayer, the fuck ? Even worse, they say it could be upto 2 years away. As awesome as the game is, its something i would have to play co-op no matter what :(

thetrin

Defcon said:
There is a potion you can enable in the editor that is sold at merchants that allows you to respec. Gotta wait for them to release the editor though. :(

Oh, I know. I was responding to the post about the respec potion, actually. :)

Top Bottom