• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

spats

Playing an alch in the demo on hard.

The game simply feels right, just like Diablo. And I love the graphics.

But what I wouldn't give for co-op... :(:(

Ogs said:
So, i downloaded the demo seing as those tits at Valve cant get a demo release on time, and instantly thought FUCK YEAH, the music is Diablo awesome, gameplay just like it, this game pretty much is Diablo :D Then i found out, no multiplayer, the fuck ? Even worse, they say it could be upto 2 years away. As awesome as the game is, its something i would have to play co-op no matter what :(
Why? Weren't you enjoying it? It's really fun.

Awesome game. Normal is a tad easy. But I don't want to start over. If it get to easy I'll just make it harder buy running around "naked" or something :lol

Anyways. Anyone knows where the save file is? I´m going to play this on both my laptop and my regular PC and want to move the save file between them.

Bought it over Steam if that matters. Does Steam Cloud transfer save files? and if it does, where do I get it?

gillty

Banned
CiSTM said:
Man, there is something wrong with my connection :(
Soooooo sloooow :((
At this rate I have to wait untill tomorrow to play this game :(((
ao2u0o.jpg
the full game is only 750mb

Chris Remo said:
Why? Weren't you enjoying it? It's really fun.

Yeah its alot of fun, but ... THE LOOT MAN i need to show people :lol Gonna carry on playing the demo, and i just know its gonna make me say fuckit and buy it anyway :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In terms of showing people, you COULD always just take screenshots. :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Tenkai Star said:
Anyways. Anyone knows where the save file is? I´m going to play this on both my laptop and my regular PC and want to move the save file between them.
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

Would be awesome if you could change it, would set it up so I could share saves via DropBox.

gillty

Banned
Tenkai Star said:
Awesome game. Normal is a tad easy. But I don't want to start over. If it get to easy I'll just make it harder buy running around "naked" or something :lol

Bought it over Steam if that matters. Does Steam Cloud transfer save files? and if it does, where do I get it?
in win7 and vista
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

as for xp i can't remember the equivalent its been 3 years

Ikuu said:
Would be awesome if you could change it, would set it up so I could share saves via DropBox.
http://www.kickasslabs.com/2009/08/...backup-files-in-other-directories-on-windows/

ksimm

thetrin said:
Bootcamp?
Yup, running Windows 7.

I would like a Snow Leopard version too though so I don't have to keep swapping OS just to play it.

Oh, and I really need a mouse for games. Playing this with the touchpad was a little bit tricky!

Defcon

Banned
Game is fuck awesome. I'm on Hard and currently level 7 and I think it's a tad bit easy. The devs on the boards say it gets a lot harder once you are out of the crypts though.

Next play through will definitely be on very hard.

Ikuu said:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

Valru said:
in win7 and vista
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

as for xp i can't remember the equivalent its been 3 years
Thanks. I run XP on my main PC and 7 on my laptop. It was basically the same for both.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tenkai Star\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\save
for XP

"Game is fuck awesome. I'm on Hard and currently level 7 and I think it's a tad bit easy. The devs on the boards say it gets a lot harder once you are out of the crypts though."

It's true. There is a noticeable bump in difficulty once you get out of the crypts.

"What about Iron Lore and Ascaron?"

Neither.

Defcon

Banned
Chromax said:
What about Iron Lore and Ascaron?

Sacred series sucks and TQ had some good points but overall lacked that visceral combat the Diablo series is known for. TL has it in spades.

Somnia

So started up a game with an Alchemist on Hard. This game is just pure magic. Runic have by far hi the nail on the head with this game, the atmosphere is just right. Hard to explain really. The music is also fan-fucking-tastic.

GOTY material right here easily for me.

V_Arnold

Chromax said:
What about Iron Lore and Ascaron?

The magic is with Blizzard, and Blizzard only.
And now, Based on the first few hours, Runic is standing at the gates, drinking red wine, and gearing up. They will enter if this much fun stays in later levels :)

Barrett2

Game is an absolute blast. I never played Diablo, though, and am basically brand new to this genre. A few questions: (i) should I ever buy gear from merchants or should I basically be able to find what I need? (ii) how frequently should I go back to town and 'bank' my gold and stuff I find that I don't have equipped? (iii) should I have some kind of strategy when leveling up? Im' blindly using skill points willy-nilly right now.

Lain

So, I downloaded the demo from one of their partners (WildTangent), installed it (and the crap client of one of those partners), started the demo.... which closed itself and I was greeted by said partner client telling me to buy the game.
I wasn't amused.
I was hoping to play the demo since I wont be able to buy the game for at least another 5 days.
Guess I'll wait a couple of days for them to put up the demo on their website.

"Game is an absolute blast. I never played Diablo, though, and am basically brand new to this genre. A few questions: (i) should I ever buy gear from merchants or should I basically be able to find what I need? (ii) how frequently should I go back to town and 'bank' my gold and stuff I find that I don't have equipped?"

1) If you see something that is an obvious upgrade, go for it. You should always check the merchant just in case, because sometimes there will be decent stuff in there.

2) Whenever you run out of space, really. Or need to take a trip back to town for something else. Don't forget your pet has an inventory of its own and can go to town on its own and sell things for you.

"So, I downloaded the demo from one of their partners (WildTangent), installed it (and the crap client of one of those partners), started the demo.... which closed itself and I was greeted by said partner client telling me to buy the game.
I wasn't amused.
I was hoping to play the demo since I wont be able to buy the game for at least another 5 days.
Guess I'll wait for them to put up the demo no their website in the next days."

There would appear to be a demo on steam.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Teknopathetic said:
"Game is an absolute blast. I never played Diablo, though, and am basically brand new to this genre. A few questions: (i) should I ever buy gear from merchants or should I basically be able to find what I need? (ii) how frequently should I go back to town and 'bank' my gold and stuff I find that I don't have equipped?"

1) If you see something that is an obvious upgrade, go for it. You should always check the merchant just in case, because sometimes there will be decent stuff in there.

2) Whenever you run out of space, really. Or need to take a trip back to town for something else. Don't forget your pet has an inventory of its own and can go to town on its own and sell things for you.

Having played the demo, send your pet to sell your crap is the best part about this game so far. Such a great way to get around an annoying part of loot heavy games.

I like the game a lot, and have already purchased. I was on the fence but the demo was quite convincing. I do wish you could rotate the camera but oh well. The art style works better in motion than screens, IMO, and I like it a lot now.

The game is very much Diablo, but this is not a bad thing. I've liked the other games in this genre as well, unlike some of the other posters, and only played D2 after some of the others, so that may impact my viewpoint. I think Torchlight clicks more with many people because it plays SO MUCH like Diablo that it feels "right". The other games do some things differently, and for me that's fine (even appreciated) but then again I don't hold the Diablo games up as the golden pinnacle of this genre and get annoyed when other games deviate from the exact methods it uses.

will be able to hold more items later on in the game? ;o

I picked hard difficulty for first playthrough. next playthrough i'll do Hardcore Very Hard :lol.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Click the little sack next to it's name. Just found an orange and purple item in the same chest, shame they both suck.

Check the vendors often I've found loads of awesome items from them, I'm finding stuff around 100DPS just now and I just bought a 300DPS 1h from a vendor.

DMPrince said:
will be able to hold more items later on in the game? ;o

I picked hard difficulty for first playthrough. next playthrough i'll do Hardcore Very Hard :lol.
You have tons of space for stuff in this game. You and your pet both have a mobile inventory, then you have a big stash in town, then you have yet another big stash in town that's shared between all your characters. I don't really think they need much more than that.

Backlogged, but can't wait to play when I can. Unless I break free, maybe there'll be a few patches and such by then. Editor isn't due to come out until like Friday or Mondayish...so there's time!

ok i like this more than borderlands already... and it was 1/3 the price....

Diablo 2.5 indeed, the game + mods SHOULD tide us over till diablo 3, good stuff, and man im gonna miss not hearing uelmen's score with diablo 3, just an hour of torchlight had me feeling like i was back in christmas 1996 all over again :).

Defcon

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
Diablo 2.5 indeed, the game + mods SHOULD tide us over till diablo 3, good stuff, and man im gonna miss not hearing uelmen's score with diablo 3, just an hour of torchlight had me feeling like i was back in christmas 1996 all over again :).

Yep, same here. It's amazing just how much a great soundtrack can add to a game. They're rare these days.

FoxSpirit

Wow, I wonder how long the demo goes. Feels pretty long, I'm on floor 3 right now. Combat is very, very awesome. Everything has impact. So good. And yeah, started out on normal but once I have money to buy the game I'll restart on hard.

Oh, and the graphics are really nicely done and run smooth as butter. Going from the logfile 138 fps :D

And yeah, demo is up on Steam, grab it and play it. I'm certain you'll love it.

Gassey

Banned
Good to see this game out! I think it's a really solid effort much better than Mythos - particularly in the graphics department.

Congrats Runic!

Mrbob

Two bucks savings wasn't enough for me to preorder, but now there is a demo to try out. If I like it I don't mind giving the devs a little extra money. Glad to see a day one demo for the game. Never played Mythos.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
FoxSpirit said:
Wow, I wonder how long the demo goes. Feels pretty long, I'm on floor 3 right now. Combat is very, very awesome. Everything has impact. So good. And yeah, started out on normal but once I have money to buy the game I'll restart on hard.

Oh, and the graphics are really nicely done and run smooth as butter. Going from the logfile 138 fps :D

And yeah, demo is up on Steam, grab it and play it. I'm certain you'll love it.

I got to the third floor in the demo and immediately stopped. It was enough to know that I like the game, now I'm just not sure if I want to spend 20$ on it right now when there's so much more I want to play. I'll either wait to see how the mods look and, if compelling enough buy it then, or wait until my backlog clears up.

As for why I stopped? I don't want to get pissed off if I end up having to start over after buying the full version if I find some great loot :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mrbob said:
Two bucks savings wasn't enough for me to preorder, but now there is a demo to try out. If I like it I don't mind giving the devs a little extra money. Glad to see a day one demo for the game. Never played Mythos.

Mythos was easily one of the best free games ever created.

Well, didn't think the game could be this good, started playing 2 hours ago and i just stopped ; ) Loving the Alchemist (or whatever his name is ; P)

bdouble

Game has got whatever Mythos did for me. Level 8 alchemy and alredy have amassed a small army with 3 imps a dog and his summoned zombies. All the whole weilding a huge polearm.

Top Bottom