• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn time zone differences! I wanted to be playing this last night. Instead I woke up a bit early to play it an hour before work. I started up a Berserker and made it down a few floors in the first dungeon. The game has been a ton of fun so far. It is extremely polished and the combat is satisfying. Extremely stylized artwork aside, this game really does feel like a spiritual sucessor to Diablo. Even the music (which is excellent) gives a very Diablo-like vibe.

This is an awesome first entry for Runic. I really can't wait to get home and play more. Borderlands is definitely taking a trip to the sidelines for a while (man that game's interface is frustrating).

Aptos

What level was everyone by the time they killed
Corrupted Brick (or whatever his name is... *too much Borderlands*)
?

Max

I am not Max
Is it possible to respec? I read some tip that said I could ctrl click a skill to remove a skill point or something?

V_Arnold

Best idea ever in a loot-oriented game?
If you browse between items, the better ones have larger window. More diff in stats, larger window size diff. Amazing.

The game rocks. I have to go to sleep soon , but I cant.

Oh god.

I just started playing (at lvl 2 right now) and I have this huge stupid grin on my face.

I love it already because I know exactly what it's going to be. Time to lean back and enjoy. :D

It's also running perfectly smooth at 1600x1200 with 16x AA which is a nice bonus!

Macmanus

This game is everything I've always wanted and a little bit more. I have a dog, an army of imps, and a freaking gun that explodes monsters into a pillar of blood. The art style is fantastic. The game play is fantastic. The music is incredibly reminiscent of Diablo. So much so, that I'm really enjoying this nostalgia trip.

I named my dog Rush for obvious reasons, so I had to name my character Geddy for even more obvious reasons. Vicious circle.

Doytch

How good? So good. Opened up a phase portal or something (by killing a phase puppy of some sort), and it had an Orange Boss right at the end. Three deaths later, Orange belt!

I'm playing Destroyer, going 4:1 (closer to 3.5:1.5) on Strength:Defense. Will I ever need Dex to get stuff like 2H weapons later on?

Ohhh just finished the demo and its pretty funny as a barbarian :lol found one unique item and 5-6 rares. Seems you get to keep your char as it kicked me back to the main menu where my dude was waiting (Bob and Winston the dog :lol )

Might fork over the £15 for this instead of cracking and going back to WoW till MW2

Loving the game so far. It has that Blizzard feel and polish, which is a very good thing. Question: how do I get my pet to go into town and sell stuff?

markot

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
Loving the game so far. It has that Blizzard feel and polish, which is a very good thing. Question: how do I get my pet to go into town and sell stuff?
Put stuff in its inventory, then press the button on the top right of its little window in the top left corner of the screen. Only takes like 20 secs for it to come back too. Sells everything it has though!

Volodja

Masta_Killah said:
Near the strategy icon of the Pet, just on top of the feeding space there is the green button to send him to the merchant

bengraven

Teknopathetic said:
Soooo good. SO good. Runic is undoubtedly the first non-Blizzard company to get the "mojo" right.

Hell yes.

How long is the demo? Not that I need the demo to purchase the game, but I can't afford it right now, even at $20. :(

Oh god the disease is back. Bought this and have been playing it non stop since, I love it soooooo much. Gives me the "nostalgias" in my stomach when I play, it reminds me so much of diablo.

The Game is incredibly solid and a polished product, easily the best 15€ I've spent this year and I've only played it for about three hours! It's too bad I really have to go to bed or else I'd be playing this untill the wee hours of the morning.

If you're on the fence about it just buy it. Seriously, it's really really good.

I agree with those who say it has that Blizzard feel. It's always been there, but never been quantifiable in any certain terms. It just feels right.

Odious Tea said:
I agree with those who say it has that Blizzard feel. It's always been there, but never been quantifiable in any certain terms. It just feels right.
It's particularly amazing considering it was made start to finish in 11 months by a team of 20-something people, which includes everyone at the company. It's actually kind of ludicrous. Runic Games knows how it's done.

bengraven said:
Hell yes.

How long is the demo? Not that I need the demo to purchase the game, but I can't afford it right now, even at $20. :(
depends on how fast you go but about an hour id say so 3 hours if you went with each class.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This game is fucking great. I sat there for three hours with a stupid ass grin on my face as I mowed down hordes with an ice and fire sword.

Chris Remo said:
It's particularly amazing considering it was made start to finish in 11 months by a team of 20-something people, which includes everyone at the company. It's actually kind of ludicrous. Runic Games knows how it's done.
I mentioned that a little bit earlier, that's definitely not lost on me. I was a fan of theirs before Runic was made. Now that they're seemingly stable, I'm most certainly looking forward to what they'll work on next.

Of course, I'll savor every moment of what Torchlight has to offer. I've been playing since it unlocked. Just remembered I have an essay to do. Fuck. I haven't had to force myself to turn something off in a long, long time.

And I'm still having some sort of internal fight between my left and right sides of my brain.

Defcon

Banned
I've played 4 hours so far and I can't stop. Yeah, this definitely feels like a Blizzard game. Here's my level 10 Vanquisher Marksman thus far...

29mvtqv.jpg

I've yet to die on Hard difficulty.

I still haven't fully decided how to play my alchemist. I keep going back and forth between melee with the battle tree or ranged summoner. Thus, my stats are all over the place. I can't decide whether I should just dump into defense for now or what.

Volodja

The game is very good and should provide some distraction on the long road to Diablo 3.
Aside from an occasion I've been progressing pretty smoothly at Very Hard with the Alchemist, putting lots of points in Magic and saving some for safety and playing around with the arcane tree; I'm a little worried about the skills but experimenting is the only way, so I'm maxing Magic Weapons Expertise and eventually Ember Bolt, using Ice Shock to slow down the enemies when needed (just 1 point at the moment, nearly useless damage-wise), but I could stop putting points in Ember Bolt to see how the other spells work as far as damage output goes, especially over an area. I'm also kind of worried about the dog, spending half of his life fleeing must be pretty humiliating for him.

Defcon

Banned
I like that there are skills you can raise to improve the spell scrolls (offensive, defensive, charm.)

Looking at just the skill trees there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of active skills unless you spread your points around the 3 tiers. However, there seems to be a shit load of scrolls to buy/collect, so many that I have to bind to the function keys because my skill bar is full already.

Just fought my first "Boss" where
Alric turned turned brink into a monster
ran around. what happens if my pet dies during battle? ;o and oh man. i caught some fishes and sent him to sell items. i didn't think it would sell the fish too!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
W is quick weapon switch...isn't it the same for all games?

dual wield, just drop a one handed weapon into each slot

man...I'm just a summoning machine! And there's no slow down too - I LOVE IT!

I have
5 imps
1 golem
1 pet (of course)
1 skele melee
3 skele archers

course the skeles are only temp, but when they're all on the screen at once, I haven't had any trouble taking anyone down yet.

diederich

Neo Member
Max said:
Is it possible to respec? I read some tip that said I could ctrl click a skill to remove a skill point or something?

I'd like to know this as well. I tried ctrl clicking and it makes a sound but doesn't remove a skill.

Ogs said:
So, i downloaded the demo seing as those tits at Valve cant get a demo release on time, and instantly thought FUCK YEAH, the music is Diablo awesome, gameplay just like it, this game pretty much is Diablo :D Then i found out, no multiplayer, the fuck ? Even worse, they say it could be upto 2 years away. As awesome as the game is, its something i would have to play co-op no matter what :(

I disagree. I'm really glad this is SP only because there are times when I just want to plod along looking at cool stuff and finding mad loot without feeling obliged to party up. Borderlands, Diablo 2, WoW, TQ etc... there are a lot of MP focused ARPG games out there. Torchlight is perfect just the way it is.
As a concept. I haven't started playing it yet :p

Defcon said:
I like that there are skills you can raise to improve the spell scrolls (offensive, defensive, charm.)

Welp, you've gone and done it. Now I KNOW I'm going to have to knock out a successful run for characters that ONLY use scrolls and skills that buff them in lieu of other attacks.

Just like I'll have to wrangle one that does NOTHING but buff/support the Pet so as to elevate it to the status of being the Real Hero!

blitz64

Maybe it's my laptop but it seems to take 1 minute to load the next level. or take a long time to load the town when I use the town portal. dual core, 3gb ram, Windows 7 here.

Started on normal, got to level 3. probably going to start over as hard now.

Like already mentioned, feels so much like diablo. Can't wait for diablo3.

Tendo

How viable is summoning? So far I have a level 5 alchemist with 3 minions, and one point in pet mastery and they don't seem to be doing much. Any reason to keep going with them? They are so darn adorable though! Hopefully they don't stack with the max number of golems. I want a ton of little golems and goblins running around wreaking havoc!

daebo

Fuck. I was going to buy this later down the road because I've been playing the crap out of Borderlands but to hell with it... I'm itching to play it and just reading all these posts here at work is driving me crazy.

epmode

Shinjitsu said:
Does the game seem to have a memory leak to anyone else?
I haven't seen any slowdown yet, so no.

I'm honestly shocked by how good this is. So, so polished for such a short development time.

Aptos

blitz64 said:
Maybe it's my laptop but it seems to take 1 minute to load the next level. or take a long time to load the town when I use the town portal. dual core, 3gb ram, Windows 7 here.

Started on normal, got to level 3. probably going to start over as hard now.

Like already mentioned, feels so much like diablo. Can't wait for diablo3.
It's procedurally generating the level; that's why.

magus

I don't understand the alchemist skills. What is weapon damage? IT sound like it applies to spells and abilities. I'm confused.

Shinjitsu

Banned
epmode said:
I haven't seen any slowdown yet, so no.

I'm honestly shocked by how good this is. So, so polished for such a short development time.

Yah, restart seemed to fix the issue.

Amazing game, loving every min of it. Can't wait to unlock endless dungeon mode!

Defcon

Banned
Chromax said:
Wait...there's a huge difficulty jump after the crypt? My poor vanquisher on very hard/hardcore... ;_;

Yep, gets quite a bit harder after the crypt. You definitely can't run into a swarm of mobs as they can one or two shot you easily if your defense and armor is low.

Btw, for those asking about a respec, I just found this on the official forums...

If you have the Console enabled in your settings file, press Shift + ` (The Tilde key)

Then type "item RespecPotion". This is one of few commands in the game's console that won't brand you a cheater.

Top Bottom