• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Review Thread

The bugs & performance were already horrible with the PS4 version of Wasteland 2. Abd I really mean it, with crashes to OS while saving every 15 minutes or so. That's why I'm gonna pass on this.

Yeah, they did slightly improve it with a patch or two, but it still crashed pretty consistently and still ran like shit with long load times. I wouldn't hold out hope of this being any better

Kyolux

Still got my heavily discounted physical PS4 version locked-in on amazon.ca. (About $17 USD)

I'm hoping the day-one patch and anything that might be patched by the time I'm done with Horizon and Zelda have these issues fixed. Otherwise, I'll live with them at that price.

gdt

When I was a broke console only gamer I salivated over PC stuff like this. It's a good thing for these games to have cheap console ports. And the ui and controller work down for consoles also benefits the pc version.

But it seems like the console versions needed more time in the oven. Day 1 console ports seem like they were too much for the dev.

UCBooties

The bugs & performance were already horrible with the PS4 version of Wasteland 2. Abd I really mean it, with crashes to OS while saving every 15 minutes or so. That's why I'm gonna pass on this.

Did Wasteland 2 ever end up in a playable state on PS4?

jtb

Banned
Sounds like what I expected. "Reverse engineered Torment."

Sigh.

I'll take it.

Player character sounds botched as well, which is fine, but very disappointing.

I guess the switch to turn based combat wasn't the best decision after all.

RTwP 4 life suckers!

B1OiWy9IUAETwI0.png

Mivey

I guess the switch to turn based combat wasn't the best decision after all.

RTwP 4 life suckers!
It wasn't a switch. They presented an initial vision with turn-based combat, gave an explanation to the community as to why and gave them even a poll about it to get conformation.
Where does this narrative come from? Do you think McComb is some moustache-twirling villain who went "How can I ruin this game for the old guard? Eureka! Turn-based combat, the very bane of intelligent fighting systems. Brilliant. And in fact, I will even sell it to them as a supposed 'improvement'. Muhaha!
Now, which Stretch-Goals and Localization to cut first . . . "

I know, it's just a joke ;)
Well, I fell for it.

jtb

Banned
It wasn't a switch. They presented an initial vision with turn-based combat, gave an explanation to the community as to why and gave them even a poll about it to get conformation.
Where does this narrative come from? Do you think McComb is some moustache-twirling villain who went "How can I ruin this game for the old guard? Eureka! Turn-based combat, the very bane of intelligent fighting systems. Brilliant. And in fact, I will even sell it to them as a supposed 'improvement'. Muhaha!

No, just incompetent.

Yeah, wait for sale.

cdkeys.com has it for $26, http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/torment-tides-of-numenera-pc-steam-cd-key

I'm surprised the reviews are only above average. Maybe it doesn't hang together as a plot as time goes on, or maybe the rushed ending just ruins everything, but I can at least say this: the first 5 hours of Numenara is better than the first five hours of Planescape, and it's not a hard call. This one's gonna be up there for my games of the year

Lister

Banned

I know, it's just a joke ;)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, they did slightly improve it with a patch or two, but it still crashed pretty consistently and still ran like shit with long load times. I wouldn't hold out hope of this being any better

Oh yeah you're right... that's why I didn't grab it in end :( too bad...
What about Divinity Original Sin?

Gestault

I saw this pop up on new releases on both PS4 and XB1. I'm gonna buy the hell out of this at some point, I just can't decide on platform. It may really come down to price when I'm actually ready to play something new/time consuming.

cdkeys.com has it for $26, http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/torment-tides-of-numenera-pc-steam-cd-key

I'm surprised the reviews are only above average. Maybe it doesn't hang together as a plot as time goes on, or maybe the rushed ending just ruins everything, but I can at least say this: the first 5 hours of Numenara is better than the first five hours of Planescape, and it's not a hard call. This one's gonna be up there for my games of the year
84 is only above average?

fact is that it's a niche type of game that not everyone and the strongest criticism is aimed at the combat, something most people who care about this game do not care about so strongly

Gestault

Review averages that hit the mid-80s are more than solid, especially for genres without a huge presence at this point.

Also, dayum @ that price.

Artanisix

really disappointed that the combat sounds like it is still as ass as planescape tbh, i was hoping that 20 years later we could at least improve that characteristic of the game. love the idea of worldbuilding and whatnot but picking fights and relentless murder is the way i enjoy playing these crpgs

cakely

Wow, I looked it up and I kickstarted this game in March, 2013.

I just got my key and downloaded it on Steam.

The Wart

ragequit said:
Numenera (because this game should have never been named "Torment" and that sacred prefix will ideally be forever erased from the players' collective consciousness as having anything to do with the present game) gloriously fails in delivering each and every one of the things inXile promised during its Kickstarter campaign, back in the mists of 2013, when Kickstarter's magic high was still going strong. Each and every one. But let us, like a proper disaster assessment squad, pack up our equipment, gather our team and bravely go forward to investigate how Kickstarter's brightest hope, forever condemned the platform's "sure-fire" credibility for delivering "the great games, like we used to play".

This man should seek psychiatric care.

Well this is confusing, US Gamer says

fortunately, combat is both easy and relatively rare, so it's more like a flavor to the game than something to worry about mastering

But IGN says

Tides of Numenera delights in piling several enemies on the Last Castoff and his or her buds at once, and they hit hard, making it uncommonly tough to survive even with the use of ciphers or taking advantage of an option to kill the leader and cause their followers to go running.

Eusis

Well this is confusing, US Gamer says

But IGN says
Might depend on choices. I got stuck in a fight early on during the beta period, but I looked in the strategy guide to get an early idea of how dynamic things can be and you can just trick them to avoid it.

Might depend on choices. I got stuck in a fight early on during the beta period, but I looked in the strategy guide to get an early idea of how dynamic things can be and you can just trick them to avoid it.

How good & detailed is the strategy guide? Sounds like it would be useful though its a big price jump to the edition with the guide

Which is the sign of a good pen and paper game. It's strange, because at some point CRPGs drifted away from this idea of situational choices and made combat a foregone conclusion. Probably because it was easier to code, and then it just became a fixture of the genre. It's nice to see actual role playing make a return.

CHC

Sounds like about what I expected. Flawed but interesting game. Sounds like it leans a little too heavily on weirdness for the sake of it and lore-dumps, which as I get older, I'm really losing patience for. I'll probably check this out down the line once it's on sale, though, I love a good CRPG but in some cases they just ask so much of the player in terms of getting involved in the lore and story.

Which is kind of funny, because for all it's craziness, the original Planescape kind of.... didn't do that. There was a lot to pursue and dig into if you were interested in, of course, but on the surface it was just a good-ass character-driven adventure story.

graywolf323

I backed it on Kickstarter and will pick up the PS4 version down the road when they've patched it (and it goes on sale)

pretty excited to play this :) I might actually try to run it on my late 2013 model MacBook Pro

Sounds like about what I expected. Flawed but interesting game. Sounds like it leans a little too heavily on weirdness for the sake of it and lore-dumps, which as I get older, I'm really losing patience for. I'll probably check this out down the line once it's on sale, though, I love a good CRPG but in some cases they just ask so much of the player in terms of getting involved in the lore and story.

Which is kind of funny, because for all it's craziness, the original Planescape kind of.... didn't do that. There was a lot to pursue and dig into if you were interested in, of course, but on the surface it was just a good-ass character-driven adventure story.

Come on, if you didn't care about the lore or story in Planescape: Torment then there was no reason to play the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Man a role playing game asking you to get involved with the story. What a world.

The Wart

Man a role playing game asking you to get involved with the story. What a world.

He's referring to the commitment required to get involved in said stories. Making engaging with the story on any level depend on hacking your way through lore-dumps will turn some people off if they only really care about character-driven drama for instance. Not a bad thing necessarily, just a design choice. Witcher 3 for instance has a fair amount of lore but is very "character first" in presentation.

Saying this as someone who fucking loves a good lore-dump. Rub that opaque metaphysics all over my face.

Mr. Tibbs

Kotaku:
I nitpick because I love. Despite clear flaws, Numenera is easily my favorite game of The Great PC RPG Revival (sorry, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, and Wasteland 2) so far. For nearly two decades, Planescape Torment was one of a kind, and after that kind of time passes, you figure that’s just the way it’ll stay. Against all odds, however, this 2017 video game has taken Planescape’s mottled old flesh and stitched together something strange and new. I wonder what sort of legacy it will leave.

AV Club (Review-in-Progress):
It goes without saying, then, that InXile Entertainment’s spiritual sequel, Torment: Tides Of Numenera, has some big shoes to fill. Set in a futuristic world where nano-machines reshape reality and enigmatic deities wage secretive wars with their own castoff selves, InXile’s game, written and designed in part by Black Isle vets, hopes to live up to one of the best-told stories in gaming history. From what we’ve seen so far, it largely carries that weight.

Torment quickly lays out its basic premise. You are a castoff husk of The Changing God, an enigmatic, immensely powerful renaissance man with the ability to move his consciousness into freshly grown bodies while the discarded past shells take on a more limited life of their own. Surviving your initial plummet, you’re quickly introduced to the vertiginous city of Sagus Cliffs and The Sorrow, a mysterious being that’s hunting the Changing God and his recycled children in the real world and within the labyrinths of their own minds.

You're right about TW3 being a character story first and it helps that it is set in a 'relatively' grounded universe that is immediately recognisable for most players.

Guy looking for his daughter is a lot easier to get involved with than body-shifting techno-wizard.

This game really does sound awesome, but my backlog is just too big. I've added it to my Amazon wishlist so I don't forget about it, though. I'll definitely pick it up when I have time for it or when I see it for a good price!

jtb

Banned
TW3's story is not noteworthy. Any reviewer that compares Torment's story to it should be dismissed outright.

On Tides, I think it just comes down to one thing: exposition.

Good stories create worlds through inference, implication, not exposition. RPGs, especially ones that don't use full VA, can easily fall into the exposition dump mode. Pillars was this way, though much of that was just the demands of the backer rewards. I mean, the Watcher is, in essence, an exposition dump of a plot device.

P:T has plenty of lore to dig into. But everything you learn about the Nameless One as you progress through the game is established with inference. That's why it's such a powerful story. And why the experience of Torment is so difficult to replicate. It requires a near unparalleled level of trust in the player.

Speely

Banned
Nice. Never expected this to be for everyone, but even reading the criticisms, it sounds like my kind of jam.

Gamecentral gave it 7/10:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/01/torment-tides-of-numenera-review-not-just-a-castoff-6480366/

In Short: It often feels more like a visual novel than a true role-player, but like Planescape: Torment before it this has some of the best writing in gaming.

Pros: Wonderfully bizarre world, brought to life via some great prose writing (and some low tech graphics). The alternatives to fighting are impressively varied.

Cons: The combat is extremely dull and none of the stat-based role-playing seems necessary or particularly compelling.

They say the script is one of the best in any game since planetscape torment, but the combat sucks.

I do find it weird how bad combat suddenly is an issue for Tides of Numenera but not for Planescape. If it's undercooked it should be brought to attention but I think people attribute a little too much weight to it.

Gamecentral gave it 7/10:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/01/torment-tides-of-numenera-review-not-just-a-castoff-6480366/

In Short: It often feels more like a visual novel than a true role-player, but like Planescape: Torment before it this has some of the best writing in gaming.

Pros: Wonderfully bizarre world, brought to life via some great prose writing (and some low tech graphics). The alternatives to fighting are impressively varied.

Cons: The combat is extremely dull and none of the stat-based role-playing seems necessary or particularly compelling.

They say the script is one of the best in any game since planetscape torment, but the combat sucks.

Makes me wonder how much of an impact the balance changes in the day 1 patch can make.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I do find it weird how bad combat suddenly is an issue for Tides of Numenera but not for Planescape. If it's undercooked it should be brought to attention but I think people attribute a little too much weight to it.

Thats like the major complaint about Planescape Torment. i dont really get the complaint because i find the combat serviceable. i think PST was a little bit ahead of its time in regard to combat because unlike most 2nd Edition AD&D you get a character with the ability to taunt and hold aggro (a tank) at the very start of the game that makes combat easy to manage.

Top Bottom