• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Arthrus

I had a fun weekend downtown visiting some restaurants, bars, a movie, and taking part in the Great Urban Race. Since I've never spent any amount of time in Toronto before, my partner and I had to run everywhere on foot. We ended up running 17km, but managed to place in the top 50%. Here's me in one of the photos we took, honking a stranger's horn.

GoldHorn.jpg

Acheron said:
I strongly considered nailing a sign with "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here" to the gates.
Pretty much agreed. I really don't know what's the attraction to it. It's basically your standard fare amusement park, nothing more, nothing less.

dudeworld

AlphaTwo00 said:
Pretty much agreed. I really don't know what's the attraction to it. It's basically your standard fare amusement park, nothing more, nothing less.

well it's basically the only amusement park in Canada with anything worth while.

dudeworld said:
well it's basically the only amusement park in Canada with anything worth while.
Yeah, but it's in effing Maple/Vaughan/whatever they're calling that area now. It's a long way out from the city proper. And unless you like shopping or movie theatres that look like alien spaceships, it's a long way from anything else to do, too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, Silver Snail is moving up there? That's going to kill The Beguiling. :/

As for Sonic Boom, with their high prices, I'm rather indifferent to their fate.

Firestorm

Soooo I stopped at McDonalds for coffee on the way to work today:

261944_10150219596237885_517927884_7283038_5061384_n.jpg

I'm assuming this means all of Southern Ontario and hopefully Canada has it back. Picture taken at McDonalds on King & Columbia in Waterloo.

Firestorm

added_time said:
I dunno if it's the ones around work (and there are 3), Ontario in general, or my tastes changing, but Timmies coffee just doesn't taste too great to me anymore. Which is odd as I quite liked it in BC. Maybe they brew it differently? In the Vancouver area there are a lot more Starbucks than here...

Roto13

Firestorm said:
I dunno if it's the ones around work (and there are 3), Ontario in general, or my tastes changing, but Timmies coffee just doesn't taste too great to me anymore. Which is odd as I quite liked it in BC. Maybe they brew it differently? In the Vancouver area there are a lot more Starbucks than here...
When I moved here I was like "Man, there aren't nearly enough coffee shops. There are entire corners that don't even have one."

Slime said:
Just read that Sonic Boom is being forced out of its location to accommodate a Dollarama, and is moving into a section of Honest Ed's. Fucked. up.
MOTHERFUCKERS!

Well, that spells the end of having a drink and browsing the record bins around 11pm on a Friday. A lovely tradition. :(

Oh, and the loss of the window displays will be a tremendous loss to the neighbourhood.

(I'd blame it on gentrification, but... Dollarama.)

firehawk12 said:
Wait, Silver Snail is moving up there? That's going to kill The Beguiling. :/
LOL, no.

Totally different clientele.

lunarworks said:
MOTHERFUCKERS!

Well, that spells the end of having a drink and browsing the record bins around 11pm on a Friday. A lovely tradition. :(

Oh, and the loss of the window displays will be a tremendous loss to the neighbourhood.

(I'd blame it on gentrification, but... Dollarama.)

LOL, no.

Totally different clientele.

The new location could be just as good.

Roto13 said:
When I moved here I was like "Man, there aren't nearly enough coffee shops. There are entire corners that don't even have one."

There are 20 coffee shops within 4 blocks of where I live. I don't drink coffee though so it doesn't really help me. At least there are also 20 sushi restaurants.

grego9198

ShaneB said:
Need to get away from it all. Give me suggestions for a great scenic drive to escape to some peace and quiet.

Check out Belfountain/Forks of the Credit River, it's about an hours drive north west of Toronto. Has some nice trails to walk around on and the drive is really fun (hair pin turns and such).

Zips

Hey guys, I have a problem I'm hoping you might have suggestions for.

My girlfriend has been wanting to do something 'special' for her birthday, and after some scrounging around for ideas I suggested a boat cruise/ride. She took that idea and found a speed boat tour that runs for like a bit over an hour, and started to invite her friends to join us for it. Problem is, when she finally called for tickets, she was told that it was changing ownership, and to call a new number. When she called the new number, the organization told her to try again in 10 days. Fast forward 10 days or more, and she got the same answer. Now I've gotten involved and got more information out of the management, who have told me they're 95% sure the boat ride won't be running again until a couple weeks after her planned birthday celebration (July 2nd).

So my problem is: I don't want my girlfriend to be sad, as she actually was quite interested in doing this for her birthday, and is resigning herself to just having a plain old "go to a restaurant and eat" birthday. I don't have any idea what else she could do though that might help make the day feel special for her, especially as time is running out now.

Any ideas/suggestions on what she could do?

- she doesn't want anything too expensive (around $20-something seems to be the max)
- she wants space for a dinner before/afterwards for her friends who don't want to spend the extra money, or can't make it to the whole thing

The Take Out Bandit said:
Are there any awesome used movie / game / music shops in Toronto to keep an eye out for?

Check the OP. They are all listed there.

Games - Game Center or A & C
Music - Sonic Boom
Movies? Sonic Boom may be ok for that as well but it is a bit over priced.

DoctorWho said:
Check the OP. They are all listed there.

Games - Game Center or A & C
Music - Sonic Boom
Movies? Sonic Boom may be ok for that as well but it is a bit over priced.

Damn it!

OP failed me once, I haven't looked back. :\

Thanks.

Zips said:
Hey guys, I have a problem I'm hoping you might have suggestions for.

My girlfriend has been wanting to do something 'special' for her birthday, and after some scrounging around for ideas I suggested a boat cruise/ride. She took that idea and found a speed boat tour that runs for like a bit over an hour, and started to invite her friends to join us for it. Problem is, when she finally called for tickets, she was told that it was changing ownership, and to call a new number. When she called the new number, the organization told her to try again in 10 days. Fast forward 10 days or more, and she got the same answer. Now I've gotten involved and got more information out of the management, who have told me they're 95% sure the boat ride won't be running again until a couple weeks after her planned birthday celebration (July 2nd).

So my problem is: I don't want my girlfriend to be sad, as she actually was quite interested in doing this for her birthday, and is resigning herself to just having a plain old "go to a restaurant and eat" birthday. I don't have any idea what else she could do though that might help make the day feel special for her, especially as time is running out now.

Any ideas/suggestions on what she could do?

- she doesn't want anything too expensive (around $20-something seems to be the max)
- she wants space for a dinner before/afterwards for her friends who don't want to spend the extra money, or can't make it to the whole thing
Hippo tour? Does a half-hour tour of the city and a half-hour around the waterfront. Leaves and lands in front of East Side Mario's on Front Street, along the strip in the area where there are lots of restaurants to choose from - from chain, to kitchy, to awesome and unique.

Don't know what the $/pp is, but google can tell ya real quick.

I feel like biking somewhere right now but I have no idea where to go. Feeling a bit restless in here. Any good 24 hour coffee shops?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
lunarworks said:
David Miller's Toronto: Cool place closes, Starbucks moves in.

Rob Ford's Toronto: Cool place closes, Dollarama moves in.
Ummm...less mayors' fault and more the economy?

These 'cool' places probably don't get enougb business. Huge trend of closed shops that are replaces with cafes and bakeries nowadays.

Jumbo video at Gerrard Square also recently closed

DoctorWho said:
I feel like biking somewhere right now but I have no idea where to go. Feeling a bit restless in here. Any good 24 hour coffee shops?
I heart 7 West. (7 Charles St. West) 24-hour coffee-food-bar. Deliciousness in a three-storey house.

jokkir

Does anyone know where to get broadway cast albums in Toronto? I've been trying to find some for a while and need some suggestions for stores to check.

jokkir said:
Does anyone know where to get broadway cast albums in Toronto? I've been trying to find some for a while and need some suggestions for stores to check.

Grigorian in Oakville specializes in Jazz, Classical & Opera. They may have Broadway albums as well but I'm not sure. Can't hurt to call and see.

http://www.grigorian.com/webstore/main.php

Edit: I just noticed they have a Yorkville location as well. Probably easier to get to than Oakville if you're downtown. (416) 922-6477

BKXB

Economist
Dipper145 said:
Does anyone know where in Toronto one could get a taste of some more interesting meats, like seal for instance?

The Black Hoof (is it still open?) has horse meat.

Presco

Crucified said:
It's still open, and La Palette also serves horse meat.

Oh wow, I was about to post that La Palette closed but I see now that they moved to Queen West. Cool!

I went to Union on Ossington on the weekend. Really great stuff.

http://www.union72.ca/

Edit: regarding Union...they have a new menu everyday so the dinner menu on the website isn't perfectly accurate. They did have the elk sliders when I was there though. Delicious.

Also, Toronto Rib Fest is this weekend. I'm thinking about checking it out but am still undecided.

http://www.torontoribfest.com/index.html

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Going downtown for pride today, then I am going to a 50's themed dance. This is going to be an exhausting and probably mildly expensive day.

Top Bottom