• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto TV station's attempt at videogame journalism...

The GameBoy is about to grow up. Nintendo is getting ready to play with adults, by introducing a sleek-looking new product called the DS, a wallet sized game it hopes will draw an older crowd.

The Japanese video game maker is an acknowledged pioneer in the industry, but up until now, most of its games have been pretty much aimed at kids.

But with the massive success of older-appeal titles like Halo 2, which set new sales records when it went on sale early Tuesday, the company knows there’s a lot of money to be made attracting an older demographic.

To do that, it’s fashioned a lightweight silver console that consists of two screens. The top lets you watch the game. The bottom gives players access to a map and doubles as a touch pad.

And the device is Wi-Fi enabled, meaning two can play at once, if they’re within 150 feet of each other.

And to prove this Nintendo isn’t just for kids, the firm is launching a $40 million ad campaign with the sexy catch phrase ‘touching is good’.

“This is very untraditional for Nintendo to be aggressive,” reflects surprised analyst P.J. McNealy. “But I think at this point it's needed.”

It may be the only way to beat out rival PlayStation II, the perceived leader in the video game wars. “Sony has a huge amount of brand cachet and they know how to market cool,” agrees analyst Schelley Olhava.

Among the first titles available in the DS arsenal: "Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt," "Tiger Woods PGA Tour," "Madden NFL 2005" and "The Urbz: Sims in the City." There’s not a Pokemon or a Donkey Kong in sight.

And Nintendo is hoping there won’t be any of their devices around long, either. They aiming for a Christmas sellout when the new gadget hits stores in North America on November 21st. It’ll set you back around $180 Canadian.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City TV should just stop talking about anything videogame or computer related

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just wondering, where in Canada would you be able to find a DS for $180

neptunes

I hate that guy in the wheel-chair, I think he should retire already.

I can't believe he's City-Tv's technology correspondent .

p_onley_david_img_01.jpg

Socreges

Banned
One of my local (Vancouver) papers, The Province, has one segment each sunday on videogames. The guy is pretty inept. He only serves as a tool for the mainstream. It's irritating.

FACT: FIFA is *not* considered the premier soccer franchise

Spike

GSG Flash said:
Just wondering, where in Canada would you be able to find a DS for $180

Actually, I was wondering where in Toronto it'd be $180, seeing that this was on the Toronto newscast. Hey, I'd like to save $23 bucks!!

Fifty

Spike said:
Actually, I was wondering where in Toronto it'd be $180, seeing that this was on the Toronto newscast. Hey, I'd like to save $23 bucks!!

From what I know, nowhere. Maybe Nintendo told them to say that, because it sounds a lot cheaper than $200 :lol Whatever...It's selling for 199 everywhere I've looked.

Spike

Fifty said:
From what I know, nowhere. Maybe Nintendo told them to say that, because it sounds a lot cheaper than $200 :lol Whatever...It's selling for 199 everywhere I've looked.

:lol

About the only store I can think of that would sell it at that price would be Wal-Mart.

Shinobi

dem said:
How dare any of you insult citytv?

HASNT BABY BLUE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR YOU?

:lol Dem knows what's up.

And yeah, it's still going. Not that I'm into it or anything...

*eagerly looks forward to Intimate Touch*

jenov4

:lol at the Baby Blue stuff...

Not that I'm complaining, but I've also noticed that Ed's Night Party (Do they even call it that anymore?!) is all about strippers and chicks who take off their clothes to promote their website.

Go CANADA!

Shinobi

Let's not forget all the hotties that work at City TV...it's just a factory for media honeys. So really, fuck anyone who disses City.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Shinobi said:
Let's not forget all the hotties that work at City TV...it's just a factory for media honeys. So really, fuck anyone who disses City.

This man speaks the truth

Top Bottom