• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tory MP suggests LGBT equality is making Christians ‘second-class citizens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

In a column for the Catholic Herald, Tory MP for Gainsborough Sir Edward Leigh – a long-standing opponent of LGBT rights – slammed the integration chief's assertions.

He said: ”As a long-standing and formerly persecuted minority, Catholics should take note of the integration tsar's

”For example, Dame Louise states that it is obvious that people must be able to choose ‘to live the lives that they want to live' but added the important proviso that ‘they cannot condemn others for living differently'. The example she gives is that Catholic schools must not be allowed to be homophobic or ‘anti-gay marriage'.

"She seems to imply that a matter of legitimate civil and political dispute – deepening the legal constructs regarding same-sex relationships – is no longer an item for debate."

He added: ”Rather than an open and tolerant vision of people with different views overcoming differences and warmly interacting as friends, neighbours and colleagues on a daily basis, Dame Louise's vision brands certain people as outsiders unworthy of full participation in society."

”In the integration tsar's vision of society, Catholics, our other fellow Christians, members of different faiths, and indeed those of no faith at all who happen to agree on certain social issues, would all be relegated to the status of second-class citizens."

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/01/2...&utm_content=TwitterJM&utm_campaign=PNTwitter

Please respect this guys bigot views if old.

If you are unworthy of being included in society, it is because you're hateful and your actions often are informed by hate.

Equality isn't the problem, rejection of equality is.

Machina

Banned
You know how religious people always complain about how "oh we're always on the defensive, we're on the defensive we're under attack by your secularism"

Yes, you are on the defensive, because you should be.

Maledict

The plus point is this is a minority view even in our right wing party. Theresa May herself gave a speech at the pink awards earlier this year, and the government is continuing to take action on homophobic bullying in schools etc.

It's a horrible, stupid thing to say, but it's not even close to a majority opinion in the party. Roar of a dinosaur and all.

(Unlike the USA where this is still mainstream right wing thinking).

Shandy

"Maybe Catholics shouldn't be able to denigrate and undermine the existence of LGBT folks?"
"OPPRESSION!"

Hmm... Sounds a bit absurd to me. Maybe try a different strategy?

Jintor

it's just another tired spin on the old 'you disregarding my bigoted views is itself bigoted, take that liberals' talking point

I appreciate the honesty that a Tory thinks there's first and second class citizens, and that one of the core differences between the two is the ability to discriminate minorities.

As someone who went to a Catholic school... Catholics persecute themselves ha. Guilt is a helluva drug I guess.

That completely aside... So is projection. Pot/kettle etc overload. I'd struggle coming up with an organisation that has perpetrated more persecution en masse :)-P) throughout the A.D. History of the human race.

And riiiight... Someone else having rights detracts from your own... If you believe that your personal rights hinge on the fact of others not having any. With all due respect: fuck off.

TL/DR: fuck right off

Clefargle

Where are all the white defense force people from the "white fragility" thread? They use the same arguments to defend a group that just voted in a racist and a fascist. #notallchristians is just as weak of a justification and it has been since forever.

Osahi

Holy shit, he is twistingnhis argument so hard he must've gottin dizzy.

"Please allow me to discriminate a minority, because otherwise you discriminate against me, and you can't discriminate!"

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
'By removing our ability to treat people as second class citizens and make them outsiders in society, you're treating us like second class citizens and making us outsiders to society.'

I...

Zaph

“Rather than an open and tolerant vision of people with different views overcoming differences and warmly interacting as friends, neighbours and colleagues on a daily basis, Dame Louise’s vision brands certain people as outsiders unworthy of full participation in society."
Do these bigots not realise you can't just use progressive language against itself to push their own nasty agenda? It's a habit I've noticed with Trump's people too.

Alienfan

Where are all the white defense force people from the "white fragility" thread? They use the same arguments to defend a group that just voted in a racist and a fascist. #notallchristians is just as weak of a justification and it has been since forever.

Although I'm probably not understanding your post fully. The Bible is widely open to interpretation, people pick and choose what they believe - a #notallchristians as you put it, is kind of true. My incredibly Catholic grandparents for instance are pro gay marriage. Homophobia extends well beyond religion

'By removing our ability to treat people as second class citizens and make them outsiders in society, you're treating us like second class citizens and making us outsiders to society.'

I...

I all makes perfect sense if you repeatedly hit your head against a wall for long enough.

duckroll

Yes as a Catholic I certainly feel like a long-standing and formerly persecuted minority.

Mostly because of fuckers like him. :p

azyless

“Rather than an open and tolerant vision of people with different views overcoming differences and warmly interacting as friends"
Literally "why are you so intolerant of my intolerance". Poor persecuted homophobes.

Maledict

Not really, the US is already at rock bottom. The UK seems to want to catch up though.

Again, just to point out, this guy is a fruit loop in his own party. Gay rights aren't on the descent here - one of Theresa Mays few good points is her continued strong support for gay rights. No-one serious on the right is talking about this, nevermind the left. Whilst Brexit and Tump do have many similar characteristics, there are some differences - gay rights being one of them.

Koomaster

Well ya know, here's the deal. LGBT folks have been second class citizens for a while now, so how about now the religious folks give it a go and be second class citizens for a few decades and then you know, we keep trading off, or pick another group in like 50-60 years to be the hated one. Just so everybody has a turn mind you. :/

sasliquid

Tories quickly becoming like the republicans, struggling to not see everyone who supports them as bigoted or rediculasly ignorant

Jezbollah

Tories quickly becoming like the republicans, struggling to not see everyone who supports them as bigoted or rediculasly ignorant

I suspect this one MP doesn't speak on behalf of his party, especially his fellow Tory MPs who identify as LGBT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom