• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tossing Out Food In The Trash? In Seattle, You'll Be Fined For That

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irnbru

Composting is pretty easy to do, and they gave me a huge bin to do it with. I just bought myself a separate compost bin. Not sure why people are so up in arms about it. It's like recycling. ( South of Seattle homeowner here )

If they give you bins and an easy means to compost it I'm okay with it.

I'm really irked at my current apartment complex because they have a trash service that overly complicates things. I get one bin, which can have trash or recyclables but not both and if it has recyclables it needs special colored bags that are only sold at the hardware store. So I need to buy and store a new bin, another set of bags, swap the full bags into the pickup bin, which requires staggering when I throw the trash out. So I basically stopped recycling.
You think THATS bad
japanese-recycling.jpeg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What if you have to get rid of food and you don't compost because you live in an apartment? Am I supposed to cram it down the garbage disposal?

Living in an apartment building doesn't exempt you from composting, nor should it.

City law requires all residential properties, including apartments and condominiums, to make a food and yard waste cart available for residents. If your property doesn’t have food and yard waste service, ask your property owner or manager to review the Apartment/Condo Owners website and sign up.

Our building supplied small compost containers to everyone at the start of the year (we already had one from a previous place) and they hold enough that we only need to empty it once a week. Every building/complex I've lived at, both in Seattle and upstate NY - and these aren't fancy places either - has had separate garbage, recycling, and compost bins outside since... 2007?

terrisus

Living in an apartment building doesn't exempt you from composting, nor should it.

City law requires all residential properties, including apartments and condominiums, to make a food and yard waste cart available for residents. If your property doesn’t have food and yard waste service, ask your property owner or manager to review the Apartment/Condo Owners website and sign up.

Our building supplied small compost containers to everyone at the start of the year (we already had one from a previous place) and they hold enough that we only need to empty it once a week. Every building/complex I've lived at, both in Seattle and upstate NY - and these aren't fancy places either - has had separate garbage, recycling, and compost bins outside since... 2007?

Yeah, it's been funny in this thread people acting like this is something no one has ever heard of, and that no one is going to be equipped to handle or able to manage or something.

It's really not a big deal.

nel e nel

Well, this is dumb. Sometimes you have food you got to throw away. It's bad, it's stale, it's spoiled, no one's eating it, whatever. It's a fact of life. So let's punish people for it. It's either that or sort it and put it in your compost bin to taken by the city and charged "a fee" (whatever the hell that means). Still more work for me. If I'm paying the city to take my garbage, it better damn take my garbage.

About 1/3 of the world's food produced gets wasted. In America it's estimated to be as high as 40%.

Until we get Star Trek replicators, this is the world we live in.

So what did you conclude. Was the Bullshit episode....Bullshit or is it give and take on both sides?

It feels like they cherry picked their points, but I can kind of see how the positive impact of recycling could be exaggerated. It does what their show does best by just raising the question, but it certainly didn't prove its points fully. Also, I'm not sure I understood what they were trying to prove with their attempt to make recycling more complicated. It reminded me of infomercials that show somebody struggling with a simple process (usually in black and white) and then espousing 'there has to be a better way'.

Concept17

I went from recycling nothing back in Montana, to recycling ~70% of my garbage once I moved out to Seattle. It's great, and I have yet to go anywhere or live somewhere that doesn't make it easy to sort your garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom