• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Kindekuma

Banned
On 65 in Tennessee, goal is to take 840 to Lebanon. No traffic at all so far. Might have left too early.

840 never in my life has had any major stand still traffic. Between Franklin and Murfreesboro, you'll have the perfect viewing spots.

For the love of god avoid the 65.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
840 never in my life has had any major stand still traffic. Between Franklin and Murfreesboro, you'll have the perfect viewing spots.

For the love of god avoid the 65.

65 was empty the whole way. On 840 now, still barely any traffic. Probably stopping at the Walmart on 231, we can nap in the car for a while and have bathrooms and food available. Plus 231 is a straight shot back home instead of taking 65 back.

What time is this at utc in Europe does anyone know?

I think we get like 5% in Ireland.

You didn't specify a city so I chose Cork. The time given on this site is in IST. Starts 1938, hits maximum at 2005, all over by 2031. Be careful how you view it.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ireland/cork

Highly alert Parisians will catch a very brief glimpse of the eclipse just before the sun dips at sunset. This may be a good time to be on the highest viewing platform of the Eiffel Tower. You won't see much of the eclipse, but Paris at sunset is worth it.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/france/paris

bosseye

Enjoy it Americans. Apparently it can make grown men weep it's so glorious (so some guy on Radio 4 told me). UK won't get a total solar eclipse until 2090 so there goes my chance to see one in my lifetime.

LordCanti

Looks like partly cloudy here in Missouri...

Fingers crossed.

I'm cautiously optimistic that even if there are clouds they won't obscure it completely. I guess day turning to night through the clouds would still be cool to witness but after waiting so long and standing in line for hours to get glasses I'm hopeful that we'll get to see it here.

Phew, only getting a partial eclipse here later today but the one in 2024 is gonna be a total with a four minute + span.

#BLESSED

Cappa

Banned
Im in the city of mainland Spain where we have the "best view" of the solar eclipse, Vigo at about 14%.

yay???

Zutroy

I remember the solar eclipse in the UK when I was a kid, sometime in the 90s. Was exciting times! I feel the whole 'don't look at the sun' thing was overblown, but on the other hand I do now have to wear contact lenses 🤔

RockmanBN

Ugh it's so cloudy here in Nebraska. It doesn't look like it's going to let up. Only needed to do an hour drive to be in the direct line.

Taking the family to a local air museum today for 84% coverage view. Looks pretty cloudy out though. Oh well. Lots to do at the air museum.

Razorback

Im in the city of mainland Spain where we have the "best view" of the solar eclipse, Vigo at about 14%.

yay???

Portugal here and It's about the same. But the eclipse will take place exactly at the same time of sunset, about 08:22 PM. It might still look cool because looking directly at a sunset isn't such a big deal and I imagine you can see a clearly defined silhouette of the moon going by.

Edit: I imagine it might look similar to this.
EF3OZjk.jpg

Welp, mostly cloudy all day. Fuck off Mother Nature. See y'all in 30 whatever years, maybe.

Watch it on television or internet. The ISS will pass through the zone of totality several times, for instance, and I'd be surprised if there weren't a few fast military planes chasing the eclipse and providing spectacular live views.

bill0527

Get out of Southern Indiana people.

We are in the narrow band of full totality and the highways and interstates are clogged.

You didn't specify a city so I chose Cork. The time given on this site is in IST. Starts 1938, hits maximum at 2005, all over by 2031. Be careful how you view it.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ireland/cork

Highly alert Parisians will catch a very brief glimpse of the eclipse just before the sun dips at sunset. This may be a good time to be on the highest viewing platform of the Eiffel Tower. You won't see much of the eclipse, but Paris at sunset is worth it.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/france/paris

Thanks!!

I remember the solar eclipse in the UK when I was a kid, sometime in the 90s. Was exciting times! I feel the whole 'don't look at the sun' thing was overblown, but on the other hand I do now have to wear contact lenses 🤔

Same....

Koren

Highly alert Parisians will catch a very brief glimpse of the eclipse just before the sun dips at sunset. This may be a good time to be on the highest viewing platform of the Eiffel Tower. You won't see much of the eclipse
I seriously doubt you'll see it at all, the main french publication for astrophysics state that only the Finistère (500km west of Paris) will be able to glimpse a 7%, and only from a high vantage point.

Going to use my old Galaxy S5 phone to snap pics.

Just took a couple shots of the sun right now, completely unfiltered and it works perfectly fine.

-Using HDR and auto light detection

Took some shots afterward too and they look fine.

Note: that was my old phone, so it's just a burner phone now. Don't do this with your phone.

ScribbleD

My understanding is that smart phone camera lenses aren't wide or fast enough to let in enough light to be damaged, but I'd like to be a little more certain before potentially damaging the sensor. My plan is to shoot a time lapse of the eclipse with my phone (LG G4) with no filter. Anyone have a decent source citing whether or not this can/will cause damage to it?

Nephtes

On the road to Nashville...
Google says I'll make it in 1.5 hours... Here's hoping traffic behaves till I make it into the city proper...

Going to have about 92% here in Raleigh, NC. Didn't pick up glasses so I'm going to make one of those cereal box pinhole projectors. Hopefully that'll work; if not, I'll just watch the NASA stream :)

Alx

Forecast is saying cloudy this afternoon in Charleston faaaaack

Lol, that's how it was for me for the one in 1999 in Europe. My parents' house was right in the perfect path for the total eclipse, we had people from all over Europe camping there to get the perfect shot, and in the end we couldn't see anything because of the clouds (except for the obvious "night" of course), and we had to watch the detailed events on TV.

Trunx28

my dad filmed the eclipse in Europe in '99. Fucked up his camera. Stay save and wear your googles!

If you're a Trump-supporter, a KKK hood will suffice.

Koren

My understanding is that smart phone camera lenses aren't wide or fast enough to let in enough light to be damaged, but I'd like to be a little more certain before potentially damaging the sensor. My plan is to shoot a time lapse of the eclipse with my phone (LG G4) with no filter. Anyone have a decent source citing whether or not this can/will cause damage to it?
If pointing the camera towards the sun for a few seconds was dangerous for the sensors, I'd say that many sensors would be destroyed on a dayly basis.

But should you fix the phone for a long time in the same direction, I'd cover the sensor between shots, just to be safe.

Over a single mm², the full sun has a power of about 1mW. That's quite small, even if the power is focused on a very small area on the sensor. The pixels will probably see their temperature increase, but as long as you shade the sensor from time to time, I don't think the chances of damaging the sensor are high.

Don't take this as a warranty, though.

Lol, that's how it was for me for the one in 1999 in Europe. My parents' house was right in the perfect path for the total eclipse, we had people from all over Europe camping there to get the perfect shot, and in the end we couldn't see anything because of the clouds (except for the obvious "night" of course), and we had to watch the detailed events on TV.
I was lucky to be in Austria at the time, I would have been mad if the weather had been bad (well, I thought it would be, rain for the whole morning, but it opened just in time for the eclipse).

Yes, in London the viewing was good for the partial eclipse. I felt sorry for those who waited patiently in Cornwall for a gap in the clouds that never came. Still, they were in Cornwall, right? In summer. How could that ever be bad?

Top Bottom