• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Before I start making a stupid looking pinhole viewer box, can't I just use my Nexus 6P to take a video and look at the eclipse on the screen? I doubt the pixels on the phone can get bright enough to do any damage to my eyes. Would the problem be that there would be too much glare to actually see anything?

For some reason your reasoning made me laugh a little. If you've seen the color white on your phone's max brightness you've seen the "brightest" pixel color it can show

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Been trying to get eclipse glasses for 2 weeks and it's either sold out everywhere or people selling 50-100 glasses bundles.

It's like Nintendo was in charge of manufacture planning these things.

dakini

I'm parked and ready in Beatrice, NE. I woke up and it was really cloudy and got worried, but its clearing up. Heres hoping it works out!

Been trying to get eclipse glasses for 2 weeks and it's either sold out everywhere or people selling 50-100 glasses bundles.

It's like Nintendo was in charge of manufacture planning these things.

I think demand is just way higher than expected. We got 100 at my small rural library and ran out a week and a half ago.

And since then we have probably fielded 100 calls asking if we had any.

The clouds around this storm are looking like they might hang around. I was hoping they'd all go North but they're coming right overhead now. I-70 might be a nightmare as people try to outmaneuver them.

My office told us last Friday to just work from home if we could, since everyone expects traffic to be terrible.

Haines

Banned
So if I don't have glasses I'm screwed?

Like. I want to see this thing. My kids 4 and it would be cool to show him.

But we have no glasses so how do we enjoy this at all?

What's the most ghetto pin hole thing you can do?

Can I just use 2 sheets of paper?

Go find a good tree with some slightly shredded leaves:
eclipseTreeClose.jpg

Each of those is an eclipse projected through the leaves.

So NYC here, at what time will i be able to observe this? Also, with no special glasses I can't even take a quick glance at it???

h0tp0ck3t

Here's an extremely stupid question. Would it potentially be viable to use the front facing camera on a phone to take a picture provided you were looking at the screen at an angle?

So NYC here, at what time will i be able to observe this? Also, with no special glasses I can't even take a quick glance at it???

You'll do some damage to your retina by the time your eyes adjust, and that's only doable with totality, which I don't think you'd get in NYC. Don't do that.

Clouds hanging over my area here in Wilmington, NC. Hope they pass before 11:30 or I'll be sad? Can the change in light be seen even if there are clouds around?

Flo_Evans

Lol I think I am going to leave advanced observations to the pros.

I was thinking I could just put some eclipse glasses over the eyepiece of my telescope.... once I got it lined up to test it burned through the glasses in a few seconds. You really want the filter in front of the magnification not behind it.

Luckily I have extra glasses. :p

Be careful folks!

If you can’t watch it in person due to weather or other circumstances, NASA has a pretty rad live setup: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive/

It plays the main feed by default where they will be having a live show, but if you scroll down and click on any of the location pins on the map, you can view processed footage from telescopes, satellites, and high-altitude balloons. The NASA EDGE feed is pretty awesome.

On tv over the weekend they claimed you could use a Ritz cracker. I'm not sure if they were joking.

Yes, as long as you use it as a projector. Seriously, though, if you go to the most thickly wooded area near to you I promise a fascinating light display whenever the sun is clear of clouds. Nature will provide its own projectors.

I think it's cool but some people are acting like it's a life changing experience.

Granted I've only experienced a partial and I am pretty stoked but I think some are over selling it.

I just can't imagine not being remotely interested and/or actively backlashing over an eclipse.

The only reason this seems like it is huge is the total eclipse is going over the US.

Not exactly a minor detail.

I work outside and never thought to get glasses and now I kind of wish I had. Oh well. I plan on working outside in 2024 as well. I'm just hoping it gets kind of dark out here, and we can see some stars, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Astral

Does anyone else find it bizarre that some people are totally disinterested in the eclipse?

I think it's cool but some people are acting like it's a life changing experience.

Granted I've only experienced a partial and I am pretty stoked but I think some are over selling it.

This. I have low expectations. The last event like this was that super bloodborne moon or whatever right? That was underwhelming imo. Kinda cool but nothing more.

shandy706

Nope, the moon gets in the way of the sun for a bit and it gets a little darker.

Personally I find it interesting, but to be honest there isn't much to it.

"A little darker" is an understatement if I've ever seen one if you're in the path of a total eclipse. Heheh

I live right dead center of the total eclipse. It will be 2 minutes and 37 seconds long here.

Toothless

Ready for totality in Carbondale! It's pretty hot out and the skies are clear for now so hopefully it'll be all good in three hours!!

This. I have low expectations. The last event like this was that super bloodborne moon or whatever right? That was underwhelming imo. Kinda cool but nothing more.

Astronomy buffs will use any daft excuse to try to get people interested in looking at the sky. Supermoons, "blood moons" and all that tosh.

If you get a chance to see a total solar eclipse, though, take it. It's the real McCoy.

LordCanti

I like both of your guys' styles.

I shall partake in these plans as well. (I'm near KC)

Less than two hours to go and it is absolutely pouring here. Sadness binge eating may be on the table.

My office told us last Friday to just work from home if we could, since everyone expects traffic to be terrible.

Some school districts let out around here too. Whichever road ends up leading to clearer skies with an hour or two left is going to be a parking lot.

Kthulhu

So if I don't have glasses I'm screwed?

Like. I want to see this thing. My kids 4 and it would be cool to show him.

But we have no glasses so how do we enjoy this at all?

Poke a small hole in a piece of cardboard and hold it up to the sun. It will project the eclipse in the ground and you can look at it that way.

If you're in the path of totality you can look at it directly for a minute or two until it ends.

Composer

Astronomy buffs will use any daft excuse to try to get people interested in looking at the sky. Supermoons, "blood moons" and all that tosh.

If you get a chance to see a total solar eclipse, though, take it. It's the real McCoy.

Sorry this is a bit egregious so I have to correct it. Astronomers/real scientists never talk about the 'Supermoon' because it's bogus. The moon doesn't actually get bigger nor does it get close to the Earth by any noticeable amount. It's a massive misconception. Something made up my Facebook posts.

Here's an extremely stupid question. Would it potentially be viable to use the front facing camera on a phone to take a picture provided you were looking at the screen at an angle?

Yes a phone is fine as an example I took this photo of the sun just a few seconds ago with reduced glare so you can see the sphere shape of it.
w8VGLb0.png

sorry about the lack of image quality I took a screen capture after posting it on imgur and redid it as I realized it was a 4k photo and would have took up huge chuck of the thread.

Top Bottom