• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Traffic into Nashville tonight was smooth. Not sure what to expect tomorrow morning trying to get north to Gallatin though. May stay where we are and settle for 1 minute 38 seconds of totality since there's plenty of viewing space in the neighborhood we are staying in.

Korey

Can you just use your phone's camera?

Like hold up your phone between the sun and your face, and look at your phone's screen.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

Like hold up your phone between the sun and your face, and look at your phone's screen.

Some articles seem to indicate that as long as your phone doesn't have optical zoom and you aren't using lens attachments or anything like that, you should be fine. I was planning on just having the sun to my back and using the front camera (with the added benefit of making me look like some douche who couldn't give a crap about some eclipse and is just engrossed in his phone). Rear camera I guess would work too.

Looked it up again, and here is what NASA has to say about it.

There is quite a lot of discussion online aboutwhether you can damage your smartphone camera by pointing it directly at the sun. The basic argument in favor of it being safe for the camera is that the lenses are generally very small (2 millimeters or so) and do not admit enough light. Also, cameras come equipped with UV filters that cut down on some of the visible light landing on the sensor chip. Finally, they automatically set their exposures for very shorttimes.Nearly every photographer that comments on this issue says it is OK if you do it very briefly such as when you are taking a scenery photo and the sun is in the picture. The argument for it not being safe is that some of the more recent smartphones use larger and faster lenses (f/1.7 to f/2.0) to get better resolution, and that can be a problem.

The best thing to do is to cover the camera lens with a solar filter during the moments before (and after) totality when the sunlight is still blinding. This will eliminate sun blooming and give you a clear image of the solar disk. You can use one of those ISO-Certified sun-viewing glasses that will be available for eclipse viewing to cover the smartphone lens. DO NOT USE SUNGLASSES! It is a good idea to set up your smartphone on a tripod or one of those wrap-around mountings so that you can fix the angle of the shot before the eclipse starts. The sun disk will be small enough that you will want to avoid the inevitable shaking that occurs when holding the camera. When totality starts, take the filter off and shoot normally with the smartphone. Make sure you take your solar glasses off too during totality because filters will no longer be needed!

So I guess quick snapshots are OK, extended viewing, perhaps not so much.

You would destroy your phone camera in seconds but I guess you could see it for those few seconds.

People who are going to be photographing the eclipse are using special filters on their lenses to protect their equipment.

Korey

You would destroy your phone camera in seconds but I guess you could see it for those few seconds.

People who are going to be photographing the eclipse are using special filters on their lenses to protect their equipment.

People are saying this is bullshit.

Apparently this only happens to cameras with wide lenses. It's no different from taking a picture or video with the sun in the background, a pretty common thing.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/solar_eclipse_eye_safety_and_photo_safety_tips.html

Are filters needed for smartphones?

There have been conflicting reports on whether your iPhone or Android camera can be damaged if you photograph the solar eclipse with those small devices without using a solar filter. But Apple, the iPhone maker, says no filter is needed.

According to USA Today, Apple’s view is this: “You could point your iPhone at the sun right now to take photos and the camera’s sensor and the lens would not be damaged, and the same is the case for the solar eclipse.”

NASA says most professional photographers believe it is OK to use a smartphone camera without a filter “if you do it very briefly such as when you’re taking a scenery photo and the sun is in the picture.”

That’s because most smartphones have lenses that are very small, UV filters that reduce some of the visible light landing on the device’s sensor chip, and exposures that are automatically set for very short times, according to NASA.

Yep, that's what I'm reading too.

Congratulations people, I just saved you from buying glasses, or wielding masks, or having to deal with cereal boxes and shit.

Just use your phone.

If you are completely in the path of totality you can remove your glasses during the two or so minutes that the sun is obscured. This is the best part of an eclipse and the thing people travel the world to see.

If you are anywhere else you must use the glasses the entire time.

Please don't make any makeshift glasses for direct viewing unless they have the appropriate materials to neutralize the sunlight.

jchap

I have a ridiculous looking setup with a tiny 800 mm scope hooked to my 6d with a solar filter riding on my 80lb capacity GEM

Congratulations people, I just saved you from buying glasses, or wielding masks, or having to deal with cereal boxes and shit.

Just use your phone.

well it can be hard to get the exposure right so you might just see a big flare and be fiddling around with the phone controls more than anything. eg Looking at the moon through a phone camera is nothing like as interesting as naked eye.
so if you're going to do that, why not just watch it on TV. You can see a lot more detail using the right filter and your eyes.

I guess the other option is just wait until its covered and enjoy the two minutes of the corona with naked eyes and look away after the blaze appears on one side of the ring. No it isn't like a magical laser beam that will fry your retina if you get the timing wrong.

Roc

Neo Member
From this thread I'm surprised how many people don't understand you can't look at the sun. Unless it's during totality, you can't look at the sun, period. C'mon people.

ironmang

I'm good if I just sneak a quick peek right?

Like a quick flick of the eyes nahmean

Oh shit someone literally just asked that lmao nvm

mortify-textless-5577-medium.jpg

whats the definitive answer on iphone cameras? I dont have glasses or anything.

It should be fine, I took video of the sun today with my Android phone and it was fine. Finding where the sun is with the phone is the hardest part which is why I'm going to be using 2 phones. The "Camera" phone with Team viewer quick support running as well as another phone with Using Team viewer to control that phone while taking photo and videos. If you care about you eye health that will probably be the safest method around as it doesn't require any glimpse of the sun with your naked eye.

Van Bur3n

A rare wonderful time to be South Carolinian. Have a DSLR at the ready and I'll be taking photos through the LCD since I don't have eclipse glasses (and I wouldn't want to look through a magnified camera lens regardless). Have the appropriate settings but lack an ND filter to protect the camera sensor. However, it should be safe enough to shoot during an area of totality without a filter.

Will probably be far from a good shot of it, but so long as I capture any shot of it, I'll be satisfied.

Aikidoka

I can't decide on whether to settle for 1 min 35 sec or to drive 20 miles to 2 min 19 sec or to drive 35 miles to gallatin for 2 min 39 secs where thousands of people will probably be....

Weevilone

I wonder how many people are going to have their vision fucked by reading "legit" ways to view on the 'net

I think it's pretty scary.

My aunt is a school teacher and after all the hype, they've decided not to let any kids view it b/c they are afraid the glasses they bought aren't legit. Before that they were worried how they would police all the little kids with the staff they have.

But really, what kind of asshole makes bootleg eclipse glasses?

I wonder how many people are going to have their vision fucked by reading "legit" ways to view on the 'net

Saw something about putting your back to the eclipse and using the selfie camera on your phone to record and view it. Not like the reflection won't fuck with you or fuck up your phone camera.

I think it's pretty scary.

My aunt is a school teacher and after all the hype, they've decided not to let any kids view it b/c they are afraid the glasses they bought aren't legit. Before that they were worried how they would police all the little kids with the staff they have.

But really, what kind of asshole makes bootleg eclipse glasses?

Yeah, kids would be a mess. I was driving home the other day and some guy had an eclipse glasses sign outside his house...

Weevilone

Yeah, kids would be a mess. I was driving home the other day and some guy had an eclipse glasses sign outside his house...

Let's say you know 100% that the glasses you bought in bulk were legit. You did all the math and there was no doubt.

You sell these things and double your money, or whatever. Like 1 customer gets a pair that were damaged in some way. Shit happens and these things are anything but durable.

I would think that 1 customer could sue you into the stone ages.

Ceej

Gah. I was hoping I could use multiple pairs of laser glasses to block the sun. Laser is similar in intensity in that you need an OD reduction factor of 5-7 (so 10^5-10^7) but the solar spectrum is much wider. I'm totally good on OD for most colors, but I don't have any glasses which block the 550-600 nm (green-yellow) part of the spectrum more than OD 1 Boo!!! So two pairs of glasses worn together would only attentuate 100x, when really need prob at least OD4.

What about looking backwards through binoculars?

I really wish this was just something we could look at. Its gota be one of the rarest occurrences in the entire universe and we just happen to be smart enough to appreciate it but nooooo it will blind you. Like what kind of horseshit is that?

Weevilone

I really wish this was just something we could look at. Its gota be one of the rarest occasions in the entire universe and we just happen to be smart enough to appreciate it but nooooo it will blind you. Like what kind of horseshit is that?

We were supposed to be down on our knees praying to it out of fear. Nobody expected us to get this far, so now it's kinda a broken mechanic.

Syriel

I really wish this was just something we could look at. Its gota be one of the rarest occurrences in the entire universe and we just happen to be smart enough to appreciate it but nooooo it will blind you. Like what kind of horseshit is that?

You can glance at it and be fine.

It's the staring that will fry your retina.

Don't look at it any longer that you would look directly at the sun on a normal day.

EYEL1NER

Finally got three pairs of glasses yesterday here in Sumter, SC. They don't have any ISO numbers, they just say "ISO" inside, but I'm thinking they may be legit. I looked through them and shone an LED flashlight and iPhone flash right into the lenses and could barely make out a faint tiny yellowish light. I can't see shit through them. The park I'm going to is giving out 5000 pairs though, but I kind of don't wanna go sit in the sun for several hours, so we might not go there.

Top Bottom