• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Damaniel

Banned
Thankfully work sent out an email last month saying if I wanted a pair I needed to reserve the glasses then. Just picked up a pair from HR.

My company handed out free pairs to employees that donated during a school supply drive last week, but all the employees who got pairs had to throw them away once the company got notified that the glasses weren't ISO certified and couldn't be proven to be safe. They did manage to snag enough legit ones last minute to replace most of them though.

I bought my glasses back in March because I knew this exact thing would happen. I did make a few people happy though by bringing in my spare pairs and handing them out for free.

_woLf

Starting to have anxiety over how bad the traffic will likely be.

Gah. Not looking forward to that part at allllllll.

norm9

My work has motherfuckers cussing at me over the phone asking about these glasses now. A few others are giving some sad sob stories. Fuck the eclipse.

molnizzle

Earlier today film was in stock.

This one still is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DYBQ51/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm driving up to Wyoming tomorrow after work. Hoping that it doesn't take an eternity to do so. Normally it's a 4 hour drive for me from home. I'm expecting to add a couple of hours to that, but I really hope it's not worse.

Ordered that one, thanks.

With one day shipping it still says not arriving until the 22nd though... ugh. Hoping that's wrong.

EDIT: I contacted Amazon support and they apologized for it not being in stock at the fulfillment center near my house and waived the up-charge for 1-day shipping. They say I should still get it by Sunday. Crossing my fingers...

Chris R

I got 10 hours of Bombcasts already downloaded to my phone and plan on grabbing a 24 pack of water and a 5 gallon jerrycan when we land on Sunday lol

muu

Can you still get this film everywhere?

I've been desperately trying to track down glasses all day. There's nothing left.

Worst case if you're going to be w/ other folks that have them you can just borrow theirs. During the totality you don't need them, and before and after you have about an hour of time where the sun is slowly being covered and another hour after. My guess is that the novelty of the sun that looks like a crescent moon will go away rather quickly.

molnizzle

Worst case if you're going to be w/ other folks that have them you can just borrow theirs. During the totality you don't need them, and before and after you have about an hour of time where the sun is slowly being covered and another hour after. My guess is that the novelty of the sun that looks like a crescent moon will go away rather quickly.

Not in the path of totality (Texas) so we'll need protection at all times.

Hopefully Amazon pulls through. Gonna check hardware stores for welding masks tomorrow just in case.

fallout

It's funny how many people are so hyped for the partial part of this eclipse when there was a perfectly good one in 2012 that didn't get nearly as much attention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_May_20,_2012

Same ... and I'm not even headed for a heavily populated area.

Not in the path of totality (Texas) so we'll need protection at all times.
Just try to find a local astronomy club, museum, planetarium, college, etc. putting on an observing session. You don't need to look at the thing for the entire couple hours.

IISANDERII

02solareclipse2016.jpg

This will be the first total eclipse visible in NA in 40 years, the next one being on April 8 2024, and then you'll have to wait 20ish years.

What?
An actual Total Solar Eclipse, where the moon gets to cover the sun perfectly during the day, and -if you have protecting eyewear- allowing you to see the Sun's corona. This is the kind of eclipse you might get to be near only 2 to 3 times in your lifetime possibly.
solar_eclipse72209.jpg

When?
Monday August 21 2017 (in roughly 3 months - if you need to reserve hotel rooms, better do it quick, media coverage is slowly ramping up)
Start at 3:35pm UTC (11:45 ET)
Maximum at 6:21pm UTC (2:21pm ET) - peak lasts for 2m40s)

Where?
A 60+ mile wide path from Oregon to South Carolina

Full Eclipse visible in: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
Maximum duration: 2:40s minutes

Partial visible in: all of North America (with a minimum coverage of half the Sun's surface) and parts of South America

path-760.png

2.%20eclipse%20map.jpg

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov

REMEMBER TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

No, Sunglasses aren't enough!
Is that EST 11:45am or pm???

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I went out and just looked at the sun with a pair of eclipse glasses today. Whoa
I only glanced at it for a few seconds cause... I dunno. But it was pretty neat.

Falcs

Banned
I went out and just looked at the sun with a pair of eclipse glasses today. Whoa
I only glanced at it for a few seconds cause... I dunno. But it was pretty neat.

When I was little I used to actually look into the sun for a few seconds before my eyes started to tear up. Yes, very stupid, I know.. But I must have been like 6 or 7.
Anyway, I can still remember what it looked like. Did it just look like a round burning ball of gas? I can still remember the swirling of flames, or at least what it appeared to be.

fallout

I'm taking a wild guess there is no place to get glasses for this?
Your best bet at this point is a local astronomy club, museum, planetarium, college, etc. Alternatively, just build a pinhole camera:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/make-pinhole-projector.html

Anyway, I can still remember what it looked like. Did it just look like a round burning ball of gas? I can still remember the swirling of flames, or at least what it appeared to be.
All that swirling was just the Earth's atmosphere. The Sun is so bright that there's no way to discern any particular features on it with your naked eye. There just isn't the necessary contrast. You need to filter out a lot of the brightness before it starts looking like anything.

Jedi2016

Leading up to the event, I'm almost seeing more articles warning against looking at the sun and using proper glasses than articles just talking about the eclipse in general or scientific terms.

And still... any bets on how many reports of permanent eye damage we'll be hearing about starting Tuesday?

My cameras will be doing most of the work for me, I don't imagine I'll actually be looking directly at it very much.

We're only getting a partial eclipse here... I wonder how many idiot reports we'll be getting from areas outside of the totality? "But they said you didn't need the glasses during the eclipse!!"

AM... Sun isn't up 11:45 PM in the Eastern time zone :p

Ayyup. Solar eclipses can only occur with daylight while Lunar Eclipses happen at night

Think of it this way: The moon casts a shadow on the Earth during a Solar eclipse, while in a Lunar eclipse, the Earth casts a shadow on the moon.

Ayyup. Solar eclipses can only occur with daylight while Lunar Eclipses happen at night

Lunar eclipses also happen in twilight, when both sun and moon are visible each on an opposite horizon. This will happen somewhere in the world (at wherever the terminator happens to be) during every lunar eclipse.

Edit: not twilight, exactly. Shortly after sunrise and shortly before sunset.

RCSI

Ready to make my way to Madras, Oregon from SoCal, with solar glasses (~10) and camera solar filters aplenty.

Based on cloud cover, it appears central Oregon is a prime spot.

Decided to make the drive with the family down to southern IL, pretty much at the last minute. Won't have an opportunity again like this for a long time.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
When I was little I used to actually look into the sun for a few seconds before my eyes started to tear up. Yes, very stupid, I know.. But I must have been like 6 or 7.
Like a red and yellow moon. No flames or flaring.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently some gas stations in central Oregon are already running out of gas lol. Be wary.

I'm legit worried about not being able to make it back to Canada on Tuesday and getting stranded on the I5.

Chris R

Apparently some gas stations in central Oregon are already running out of gas lol. Be wary.

I'm legit worried about not being able to make it back to Canada on Tuesday and getting stranded on the I5.

Apparently like 70% of people visiting are leaving Monday. We should be good.

Jeff-DSA

I'm taking a less direct route to Wyoming tonight. I'm not going to deal with I-15. They estimate an additional 50,000 cars passing through. That's a lot to squeeze through the small town areas where it gets down to two lanes. In idea traffic, it's only about 30 minutes longer going the back ways. It could be a lot faster in tonight's situation.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Restaurants that are normally closed on Sunday in Nashville woke the fuck up a few days ago and announced they are going to be open. Friends of mine (that I'm staying with) work at a $$ restaurant bar and almost got forced to work but lucked out on the draw.

This week I made my own telescope filter using Thousand Oaks Optical film with cardboard and duct tape. Then with leftover film I made solar glasses using some old RealD 3D glasses.

Nice! Didn't know you're a fellow Nashvillian. It will be insane.

Jeff-DSA

If we get clouds Monday and I miss this I'm gonna be piiiissed.

I'm a bit worried too. Forecast calls for partly cloudy skies, but even if it is cloudy, things will still get interesting during totality. A bummer for sure, but not a total loss.

smisk

I'm actually driving down to Florida from New Jersey Sunday night for vacation....the traffic is gonna be pretty bad, huh?

Oh god, I don't envy you. Gonna be tons of people heading down to SC. I was considering making the drive down from DC, but traffic is bad enough on 95 during normal conditions.

If we get clouds Monday and I miss this I'm gonna be piiiissed.

Well, knowing KC we could have anywhere from amazing weather to horrible apocalypse level storms and anything in between with little warning. I really hope it stays clear long enough for this.

Lister

Banned
Wish I could make it further south, but we planned our South Jersey/shore vacation for that week. I got the glasses though so we're setup to see the partial eclipse from the beach :)

Top Bottom