• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall: Ascension |OT| (PC, PS4) 2014's Best Reviewed T_____fall game

ultron87

hsFbxWG.png

What is it?

Last year's much lauded 4-player local multiplayer archery combat platformer has been freed from the shackles of the Ouya and is now coming to the PS4 and PC!

What's an archery combat platformer? It plays kind of like Smash Bros, except everyone has 3 arrows and dies in a hit. Or, if you're into the whole 2014 local multiplayer revolution, it is like Samurai Gunn, but with arrows and jumping on heads instead of swords and gunns. Either way, it is an awesome time for you and up to 3 of your friends to sit on a couch and punch each other in the arm and/or whoop in delight after a particularly heinous arrow shot from the across the map. It fun to watch, easy to learn, yet still quite deep.

GIFS!

xrsc9eG.gif

83HDly9.gif

No online?

Yeah, it is local only. Sorry. I will take this moment to make the point that these kind of games are incredibly easy to pick up and play. So you should have even "I don't play games anymore" friends over and toss controllers at them till they play a match. They just might enjoy it.

It also has a couple single player modes. One is a horde-mode like survival mode and the other is a puzzle/trick shot training kind of thing.

Where can I get it?

March 11th on the Playstation Store or Steam. It'll be 15 dollars regular price, but will likely be on sale on launch on Steam and will be 11.99 for Playstation Plus subscribers.

Reviews!

Polygon: 9.5
Destructoid: 9.5
Gamespot: 8.0
EGM: 10

Great title lol

Shame about no online play but I'll still pick it up in hopes that they add it in later. At least Ill have a party game for PS4 now.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
24 hours ago I thought this was a tower defense game, lol. I finally looked it up today and it looks so fun!

Platy

You can do a small dodge that if timed correctly you catch the arrow that the enemy shoot at you.

This plus powerups like exploding arrows add some pretty complex gameplay mechanics =D

Also, nobody needs to own an Ouya anymore =P

edit :
Also, an animated launch trailer is coming soon

Absolutely looking forward to this after playing hours and hours of Samurai Gunn with friends (with TowerFall skins, no less). March 11 is deadly with this, Dark Souls and Titanfall

EGOMON

Damn i should have listened to my mother back in the days to be more social and make friends, oh well

ReaperXL7

It's pretty refreshing seeing how many local co op games are on/coming to PS4. Now I need to find time to get some friends over to play this, and Samurai Gunn when that comes to PS4.

Haha, thanks for doing the OT. Wish this game had online, as I'm sad to see many skip it for that reason.

But I have to say, this just looks like an awesome drinking game to play with buddies.

Alchemy

Have the Ouya version, enjoyed it the few times I made friends play it. Unfortunately the lack of online prevented me from playing it for any significant amount of time, so I'll be skipping the PS4 version. If it ever gets online multiplayer I'm double dipping instantly.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn everyone can't stop raving about this, I was skeptical of its Ouya roots, but I'm going all in. Sucks about the online though

No online multiplayer?!?!?! What is this 1990? No online multiplayer, no purchase. Done deal!

J/K I am buying this tomorrow for sure. Loved it on the Ouya. (Yes I own an Ouya lol) Just don't know if it will be on PC or PS4. Decisions decisions...

Haha, thanks for doing the OT. Wish this game had online, as I'm sad to see many skip it for that reason.

But I have to say, this just looks like an awesome drinking game to play with buddies.

Seeing the similarities to Samurai Gunn make me pretty confident that it will be a wonderful drinking game

Carl

Haha, great title.

Looking forward to this one even though i don't often have people over to play games. Will be worth it for those occasions though - looked great from the Playstation live streams

Zia

I really want to jump in the towerfall hype, but I don't really have 3 regular people who I could play with :(

The BF and I have been playing co-op every night for the past week or so and it's really, really fun. Worth it if you can even grab one person, in my opinion.

Timeaisis

Awesome! Will be picking this up ASAP. I love couch games, now I just gotta get people together. How is it with just 2-players?

EDIT: Nevermind that last part, answered above.

Toki767

Two games with fall at the end of their name coming out the same day. One has no online. One is only online.

It looks like fun, but I don't have anyone to play this with sadly.

gruenel

The BF and I have been playing co-op every night for the past week or so and it's really, really fun. Worth it if you can even grab one person, in my opinion.

That's good to know. I should be able to convince the GF to at least try it out ;)

Reebot

Had a chance to play this at an event, its a ton of fun. Hope online support gets implemented somewhere down the line, local play sadly isn't an option for me right now.

repeater

Loved this when I played the demo on my friend's Ouya. By default I get my games on console when possible (just a preference I have) but now it strikes me I currently own three gamepads compatible with my PC and one compatible with my PS4. ....Yeah I think I'll get this on Steam and might double dip in the future once I own more controllers/know more people with PS4s. :)

Also, thread title is amazing.

Platy

Two games with fall at the end of their name coming out the same day. One has no online. One is only online.

It looks like fun, but I don't have anyone to play this with sadly.

One has no singleplayer
One has both singleplayer and multiplayer

One has Origin
One has Steam

One needs 50gb of HD space
One doesn't even need 500mb

I don't know .... looks pretty obvious to me

Definitely getting this on Steam, day 1.

Glad I didn't have to get an Ouya to experience this game. Should run just fine on me crappy laptop based on the aesthetics.

I'm SOOOO ready! Been wanting this since this came out on the OUYA and had to hold myself from getting the Ouya for this to come out on PC. Now that it's coming for PS4, I'm even more than ready! PSN needs to update immediately

I've been ready for what I call the T*Fall games. Now to use a day off tomorrow or Wednesday....

mollipen

EGM's giving everything 10's :lol

As one of the four people who took part in many hours of the game for the benefit of that review, I'm not really sure I can disagree with Josh for the score he gave it.

I had played a bit of Towerfall before, so I know I'd enjoy it, but I wasn't ready for just how amazing of a local multiplayer experience it is. I would, without hesitation, put this up there with games such as Bomberman, Deathtank, Aki's N64 wrestlers, and Top Shop as some of my favorite "get together with friends and play" games of ever.

Kuro

I don't have any friends with PS4s. Wait... I forgot to make friends. How do you make friends? How would I know if a potential friend candidate has a PS4? I don't plan on buying extra controllers for this.

Phatmac

A shame that it doesn't have online multiplayer. I'd buy it if it did. Sadly, I don't have any big gaming friends.

Top Bottom