• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall: Ascension |OT| (PC, PS4) 2014's Best Reviewed T_____fall game

Carl

As one of the four people who took part in many hours of the game for the benefit of that review, I'm not really sure I can disagree with Josh for the score he gave it.

I had played a bit of Towerfall before, so I know I'd enjoy it, but I wasn't ready for just how amazing of a local multiplayer experience it is. I would, without hesitation, put this up there with games such as Bomberman, Deathtank, Aki's N64 wrestlers, and Top Shop as some of my favorite "get together with friends and play" games of ever.

There's a ringing endorsement if ever i've seen one ;p

This game would cost me $75 because I'd have to buy an extra controller. Only a few of my friends game, and those that do we just play online.

Jigorath

Banned
I was excited about Towerfall, but no online multiplayer? What year are we living in? Am I too entitled for thinking that all games with multiplayer should have online capabilities?

The little T-Fall that could...

hyUV6lC.png

I hope the sequel has online play. I haven't had a friend at my house in a month. When we hang out, we meet at a bar or something, have fun, then go our separate ways. We're kinda done with the sleep over thing.

Maxxan

I'm gonna join the "no online, no buy" crowd. Not out of principle, of course, but I only have one controller and all my gaming pals live at least an hour away. Shame.

ultron87

any chance this will get an online mode in the future ?
The creator hasn't out right said no, but it seems like he isn't particularly thrilled about it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/16/towerfall-ascension-bringing-co-op-new-everything-to-pc/

That said, one fairly major feature is still missing: online play. Maybe that’ll change down the line, but right now creator Matt Thorson doesn’t seem too in love with the idea.

“There won’t be any online at launch, sorry,” he tweeted. “It’s really meant to be played together with friends.”

Also it'd be a ton of work for a single developer.

The little T-Fall that could...

hyUV6lC.png

I really hope more reviews don't come in and make my thread title a liar. Lol.

element

Having played a good amount of Towerfall on Ouya, playing over the network removes a great deal of the fun of the game. Towerfall is to be played like Mario Kart than Call of Duty.

nampad

Funny thread title :D

I know I have already whined enough about the missing online but I don't think I'll ever get people together to play this :/
Even Bomberman is a hard sell and most people at least know the game. In the end, it's always just Fifa what they want to play.
Besides that, buying two additional controllers is too expensive.

It will hurt the sales, especially at that price.

Looks great, but I have absolutely no one else to play this with. Everyone I know are Xbox peeps, and they haven't even moved on to current gen.

Does this game REQUIRE four players, or can it be played with just two or three?

I live in a college dorm so friends aren't a problem, but getting four of them together at the same time can be a little difficult to arrange.

Also, I have an irrational dislike of Steam; is this not going to be available on Gog or the Humble Store?

Platy

Does this game REQUIRE four players, or can it be played with just two or three?

I live in a college dorm so friends aren't a problem, but getting four of them together at the same time can be a little difficult to arrange.

Also, I have an irrational dislike of Steam; is this not going to be available on Gog or the Humble Store?

The single player can even be played co-op with 2 players.

shandy706

Makes no sense to have no online in this.

I'll pick it up real cheap on PC later. Will play with my wife..maybe. Friends rarely come over for split screen at my age, lol.

Alchemy

Having played a good amount of Towerfall on Ouya, playing over the network removes a great deal of the fun of the game. Towerfall is to be played like Mario Kart than Call of Duty.

Unfortunately I can't get four people into my tiny apartment to play this game, especially every time I feel like playing. Is local multiplayer better? Sure, but it is much easier as a consumer to jump into an online game whenever I have the time.

Tendo

can I play competitive with 2 bots and one other player?

I have one controller but would love to have a 4 player deathmatch.

this guy gets it....

Guys stop being so anti social, share ur game adoration with ur friends and grow some balls and talk to people! Everything doesn't have to be experienced over a network...

Jeels

this guy gets it....

Guys stop being so anti social, share ur game adoration with ur friends and grow some balls and talk to people! Everything doesn't have to be experienced over a network...

It has nothing to do with being antisocial and is just the environments we're in. It's just less likely for people to be sitting around a couch playing games nowadays.

Code:
                Towerfall | Titanfall 
                ---------------------
Offline Mode:     Yes     |   No
Co-op campaign:   Yes     |   No
Non-Origin DRM:   Yes     |   No
# of Players:     1-4     |   1-4ish
AI:               None    |   None

I <3 Titanfall, but Towerfall gets me

Atomski

this guy gets it....

Im very social... just none of my local friends are gamers and when I try to get them into games they are absolutly terrible so its no fun.

Code:
                Towerfall | Titanfall 
                ---------------------

Ha! Very nice.

I actually think I'm going to pick this game up for the single player. Weird, I know, but it looks so damn fun!

Platy

Code:
                Towerfall | Titanfall 
                ---------------------

Don't forget 400mb of HD space versus 50gb of HD space

...and the price =P

Code:
                Towerfall | Titanfall 
                ---------------------
# of Players:    1-4     |   1-4ish

This is fairly wrong.
AI? Titanfall has AI bots (enemies). Towerfall has AI in the single player.
Also you need to say Non-Steam DRM for the other way around. Titanfall you can have up to 6. Should be more like

Code:
                Towerfall | Titanfall 
                ---------------------
Offline Mode:          Yes     |   No
Co-op campaign:        Yes     |   No
DRM:                 Steam     |      Origin
Console:               PS4     |    XBox One (and 360, I guess)
# of Players:          1-4     |   1-6
Size:                  400Mb   |   50Gb
Price:                 $15       |    $60

Reminds me a lot of Samurai Gunn, seems like a neat game but with no online I'll wait until it's cheaper.

Samurai Gunn isn't that polished and isn't at all customizable like TowerFall. It was fun for about 30 minutes, with 1 person or with 4. And single player is just bland. TowerFall will have a horde-like quest mode and a time trials mode. Then the multiplayer will speak for itself.

Zia

The skill ceiling isn't nearly as high in TowerFall as it is in Samurai Gunn. It's very Smash Bros. Has a chunkiness to it, and a lot of randomness that allows for very cool moments. I think comparing them is a little unfair because Samurai Gunn is so fucking elegant it doesn't need too many frills.

gogojira

Im very social... just none of my local friends are gamers and when I try to get them into games they are absolutly terrible so its no fun.

Yeah no shit. I'd love to play local with people but there's this crazy thing called adult life and kids and other shit that makes it hard just to have the ol' pals over to sit on a couch and play games. Connecting online for a bit though? Yeah, way more doable even though that's a fucking stretch most nights.

Sucks because the game sounds great, but it'd be hard for me to get real value out of it.

People saying they'll pass 'cause they don't have friends are bumming me out! I'll come over and play with you.

Pumped as heck for this game, however many controllers I need.

Platy

This is fairly wrong.
AI? Titanfall has AI bots (enemies). Towerfall has AI in the single player.
Also you need to say Non-Steam DRM for the other way around. Titanfall you can have up to 6. Should be more like

Code:
                Towerfall | Titanfall 
                ---------------------
Offline Mode:          Yes     |   No
Co-op campaign:        Yes     |   No
DRM:                 Steam     |      Origin
Console:               PS4     |    XBox One (and 360, I guess)
# of Players:          1-4     |   1-6
Size:                  400Mb   |   50Gb
Price:                 $15       |    $60

Should be noted that Towerfall also has a RIDICULOUS amount of variety of levels since after you actualy choose a level each round is played in a diferent variation of the level.

Gilby

It might just be the best local multplayer game since Melee. Ascension is even better than the original, Dash-Cancelling is a game changer! Also, the screen-scrolling pickup is pure genius! I AM SO PUMPED FOR IT'S OFFICIAL RELEASE!

Mikey Jr.

Looks great, and would love to buy it.

But it would be worthless in my situation as I would not have anyone to play with, nevermind other people with a PS4.

So yeah, its a pass for me. Hope they do well though.

Gilby

Looks great, and would love to buy it.

But it would be worthless in my situation as I would not have anyone to play with, nevermind other people with a PS4.

So yeah, its a pass for me. Hope they do well though.

If you ever do have people over, buy it. It takes a grand total of about 30 seconds to understand the controls, but can be played for hours and hours. Goes well with alcohol, but expect punches to be thrown.

Mikey Jr.

If you ever do have people over, buy it. It takes a grand total of about 30 seconds to understand the controls, but can be played for hours and hours. Goes well with alcohol, but expect punches to be thrown.

Yeah, but then I need more controllers.

Who knows, maybe 1 day in the future. Too bad generic USB controllers dont work on PS4.

Gilby

Yeah, but then I need more controllers.

Who knows, maybe 1 day in the future. Too bad generic USB controllers dont work on PS4.

Well, there's alway the PC option if you've got one in a good setup for multi. But I get it, I had almost no chances to play multiplayer locally until recently.

Top Bottom