• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall: Ascension |OT| (PC, PS4) 2014's Best Reviewed T_____fall game

This game is really fun, though it's a shame I can't play it with anyone :(

To freefall and shoot 2 ennemies on each side, make one of them explode and annhilate two others, and land safely on a grim reaper = BEST FEELING EVER. It really feels like you've mastered archery ha ha.

Also, the time trials are diabolical. I managed to get the gem for the first two but I quit as it would've really angered me to try the third one for the 150th time.

I hope for a sequel with more single player content.

Liberty4all

Banned
Went over to my sister inlaws place last night and brought my controller. We ended up playing for 4 hours straight. Best couch coop experience I've had in years bar none.

Schlomo

Finally got a second PS4 controller and started playing this with my wife. It's really fun in co-op, and more fleshed out than I thought, with bosses and secrets. I'd definitely recommend this to everyone who's into couch co-op.

I'm very sceptical if multiplayer will work with Share Play. With the precision it requires, I can't see it working properly without custom netcode. Just think about how fighting games struggle with online play.

Nibel

4-player versus matches is probably the best experience I had with my PS4 so far; even my sisters can get into this very fast due its simplicity. Replay feature is fantastic and there are so many amazing moments that happen now and then; really love this game. :)

Liberty4all

Banned
This is my most played couch coop game although Diablo is a close second. No other game comes close to making casuals and hard cores alike happy.

Platy

Which reminds me .... a patch was released for the PS4 version !

http://towerfall.tumblr.com/post/95254470341/ps4-patch-released

Some balance changes and fixes (go to link to see) and :

New Stuff:
Nine new variants:
Regenerating Arrows - If you have no arrows, you’ll gain one after a short time
Regenerating Shields - If you have no shield, you’ll gain one after a short time
Infinite Drills - Drill arrows will continuously drill through surfaces forever
Anti-Gravity Arrows - Arrows will never fall or lose seeking
Small Quivers - Lowers your max arrow count to 3
Speed Boots - Increases your movement speed
Super Seeking Arrows - Arrows seek a lot more
Encumbrance - The more arrows you have, the slower you move
Trigger Corpses - Hold the shoot button to explode your corpse! :D

[...]

Other Changes:
Added option to disable controller rumble
New variants added in patches will now show up as “NEW!” in-game the next time you play
Returning to Archer Select from Versus match end menu now un-joins all players, so you can all repick
You can now activate the Exploding Corpses and Return As Ghosts variants simultaneously
Random vetoed levels (press L2 on a level on the map to veto it) are now remembered until the game is restarted
Can now press the random veto button (L2) on the random map tile to quickly cancel all vetoes

I assume changing some of those would disable trophies. Been playing this with my son - he's too young to be much help so it's hard to make progress, but we're trying :) Finally got past the first "boss" thing and I thought the game would be over but it's not!

Zhao_Yun

Just started up my PS4 to download the patch but my PS4 couldn't find one (EU PSN here). Any other Europeans who encountered the same problem?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I just wanted to say that I've been shocked by how much fun I've had with this game. I didn't expect much when I got it for free on PS+ recently, but my brother and I have been playing it almost every day. No online makes me sad, but I can't wait to get a couple more friends over with their controllers and really get crazy with it. The amount of silly fun to be had here is kind of incredible.

Peltz

This game is STILL fun every time I pick up the controller. I'm convinced that it will never leave my rotation of games.

In the patch notes for the game on PS4 it says it added "????". I wonder what that is? I remember the dev tweeting concept images of new characters a month or so back.

Menaged

Like many others, I got it from PS+.
I've been playing only quest co-op with a friend, and yesterday we finally beat all 14 levels on Hardcore.
It took us countless hours and attempts, but it was so much fun.
The hardest level was definitely Ascension. We died so many times there, and even got a draw one time (the boss and my friend died at the same time) and it was devestating.

I have no idea if anyone who doesn't own the game will read it, but if so, then buy it! It's so simple yet so deep, fun and addicting.

(After that we fired up Resogun, and it was glorious)

I've recently discovered Towerfall and I'm seriously considering making a public awareness thread on it. My lord this game is so damn fun. After sitting on my ps4 for a while, I decided to try it out since I had a few minutes to burn. Let me say, I had to head out due to prior engagements, and it felt like I was leaving my newly born child.

This game is amazing!

I've recently discovered Towerfall and I'm seriously considering making a public awareness thread on it. My lord this game is so damn fun. After sitting on my ps4 for a while, I decided to try it out since I had a few minutes to burn. Let me say, I had to head out due to prior engagements, and it felt like I was leaving my newly born child.

This game is amazing!

DOOO EEET! Fantastic game.

Towerfall.....get friends.

epmode

I've recently discovered Towerfall and I'm seriously considering making a public awareness thread on it. My lord this game is so damn fun.

It's right up there with the all-time best local multiplayer games. Smash, Bomberman, etc.

I love all of the ridiculous options.

(I'd still kill for a solid online mode tho)

Also, they are doing a new expansion !

http://towerfall.tumblr.com/
Devlog here ^

I DIDN"T KNOW OMGOMGOMG

hesido

This game could have looked really nice with native 1080p artwork instead of the super pixelated style. I like my pixel art but this is a bit too much.

epmode

This game could have looked really nice with native 1080p artwork instead of the super pixelated style. I like my pixel art but this is a bit too much.

Perhaps you are unaware of the size of the development team (1 guy). Not to mention the budget (very low). Not to mention the fact that it looks and animates nicely as is.

I don't think I'm ever going to understand pixel art complaints, GAF.

hesido

Perhaps you are unaware of the size of the development team. Not to mention the budget. Not to mention the fact that it looks and animates nicely as is.

I think they could still double the pixel count and get that pixel art aesthetic. Native 1080p art indeed could prove a little too much if that's the case.

Razma1

Had a get together where we played this along with stuff like Nidhogg and Gangbeasts. Towerfall is absolutely the best vs game I've ever played with my friends without a doubt. The built in .gif exporting let us save our moments and we were hyped for hours while playing. By the time we finished we were all exhausted and nearly passed out.

I just wish for some online multiplayer so I can play with some other friends over skype :/

Platy

Perhaps you are unaware of the size of the development team (1 guy). Not to mention the budget (very low). Not to mention the fact that it looks and animates nicely as is.

2 people did the art actualy ... these 2 ! =D

Towerfall Cosplay !

4ETUDW9.jpg

The couple below are the game's artists =D

But yeah ... the budget was almost negative =P

tanuki

Started playing Towerfall coop with my girlfriend. She's relatively new to gaming, we played through New Super Mario Bros U together, but she's really taken to this game as well.

In general, I find this game massively underrated. It's only ok in single-player, but it really shines with one or more people to play with.

Peltz

Necro-bump...

I played this game all weekend with a few friends. I really don't get why this game isn't more popular. It's by far my favorite multiplayer title this gen. Even non-gamers enjoy it.

Top Bottom