• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall: Ascension |OT| (PC, PS4) 2014's Best Reviewed T_____fall game

Gaz_RB

So I finally got around to trying to buy this game and when I try to add it to my cart it says I'm not a PS+ member and not eligible?

Which is weird because literally five seconds earlier I began downloading Dead Nation for free.

Let me give you money!

gadwn

There is an option to disable seeking arrows under the Variants menu. I think the Archives has something like what you're looking for in terms of overall score. There are a bunch of metrics.

Oh, there is!? We looked at the options a bunch of times without noticing it. Thanks for the info, that will make our next gaming session even more awesome.

Soi-Fong

Just played quest mode with my friend for an hour. We have never screamed that loud before. lol

This game is just something else entirely.

H1PSTER

Anyone want to tell me the appeal?

And then can you explain if it'd be better to get it on PS4 or PC?

FML, I desperately need more PS4 games.

OuiOuiBa

There is no magical, universal solution to networking problems, every game is different on many aspects - and not only aspects that you can see, aspects that have to do with how it was programmed from the very start.

That said, it is a pity that the game does not feature at least leaderboards.

Soi-Fong

Anyone want to tell me the appeal?

And then can you explain if it'd be better to get it on PS4 or PC?

FML, I desperately need more PS4 games.

If you want to play on the couch, it's better to get it on the PS4.. Now of course, it'd be useful to have friends who have PS4s to bring over their controllers. I personally have two PS4 controllers, a Vita that can be used as a controller and a friend who also has his own PS4.

PC if I guess you don't care plugging in your PC to your TV in the living room and if you have more 360 controllers.

xPhinehas

Got this last Friday night, my friends and I played for four hours straight! It's so amazingly fun! I now have a large number of people coming over regularly to try and take each other on! Best $15.00 I've spent so far this year!

Gaz_RB

Wow, finally got around to playing versus with friends. You guys weren't lying. I thought it'd be fun, but it was wildly entertaining the whole night. Even people who aren't good at video games were competitive and had a blast. Definitely will become a staple of the household.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, finally got around to playing versus with friends. You guys weren't lying. I thought it'd be fun, but it was wildly entertaining the whole night. Even people who aren't good at video games were competitive and had a blast. Definitely will become a staple of the household.
Yup. I've played a few sessions with my housemates and they all love it. Half of them never play video games.

Zhao_Yun

I have a question for PS4 players who used the Vita as a second controller. Is it possible to map the Dash ability to the right trigger of the Vita or do you have to use the touchpad on the back?

Jeff-DSA

We have a work party tomorrow where basically anybody in the office that wants to hang around stays and plays games. Typically we play a lot of League of Legends and StarCraft 2, but I'm going to bring in my PS4 with 4 controllers and Towerfall. Should be a lot of fun. I've yet to play with 4 players, I'm pretty excited.

btkadams

This game is absolutely fantastic. I wish I had people over more often and could play it. It definitely needs online multiplayer. Couch coop is obviously how it should be played, but it'd be nice to have the option.

Have the devs mentioned anything about the possibility of adding it in at some point? I know the game is quite twitchy, but multiplayer should be feasible with this, no?

Fou-Lu

I decided to buy this game yesterday when my roommates and I were sitting around wanting to play some local multiplayer, we didn't know much about it.

Holy fuck is it fun and hilarious, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a noise complaint from our constant laughter. Best game purchase on PS4 yet.

This. fucking. game.

The girlfriend and I spent all of Sunday playing this. At one point she blurted out "this reminds me of playing Snow Bros. with my brother!". The games aren't really anything alike but I appreciate the nostalgia it is bringing up. I didn't even know she had an NES growing up!

Got through Quest Mode and unlocked all the archers but at least one of those trophies require 3+ controllers (for the different awards). Kind of crappy but she is definitely pro-third (and maybe 4th) controller at this point even though we don't know anyone else to play with lol Still, I ain't gonna debate this and will probably at the very least be picking up a third DS4 here shortly. At the very least we've got Sportsfriends dropping next week as well so there'll be more to play.

Great game. Super addictive and fun.

Dibbs

This game is the best for me so far on the PS4, much thanks to three additional Dual Shocks and three pals.

IISANDERII

Good Jesus this game is challenging. Talking about the quest mode, it took me many attempts to beat some stages on Normal. Now trying Hardcore and fuck me.

But it's challenging without really being cheap, only that Hardcore launches so many enemies at you it's bewildering. I like a challenge and this is very addicting.

Anybody beat Hardcore? Tips?

tskeeve

I am in love with this game (and I've been playing it alone!). Also, given the limited controls, this game plays EXCELLENTLY on Vita. Remote play has been a joy.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Good Jesus this game is challenging. Talking about the quest mode, it took me many attempts to beat some stages on Normal. Now trying Hardcore and fuck me.

But it's challenging without really being cheap, only that Hardcore launches so many enemies at you it's bewildering. I like a challenge and this is very addicting.

Anybody beat Hardcore? Tips?
I'm currently at the Gauntlet which is after Ascension and is the 13th level of 14, I believe. I'd say on Hardcore the best thing you can do is get accustomed to dashing to where it's second nature. In the later levels you'll be facing multiple numbers of enemies who will fire homing projectiles (some of which you can absorb and some you cannot) at you, you must be able to evade them or absorb them if you hope to emerge victorious. Also I think mastering traversal along with being able to jump on certain enemies to not needlessly expend arrows is of great importance. Baiting enemies and setting them up for traps is also something you should strive to do. Other than those things the only other thing I can think of is memorzing the spawns that occur at certain waves and the behaviors and actions of your enemies. Trust me, you'll die so much you'll remember them. Oh!!! and explode when the most enemies or the most difficult surround you and kill enemies whose deaths will result in them taking out other enemies. That's all I have for now, hope it helps.

You have my deepest sympathies when you attempt Ascension, took me 5 straight hours to beat on hardcore.

IISANDERII

Thanks, yeah I'm beginning to do these things, it's just like my brain feels too damn slow!
You have my deepest sympathies when you attempt Ascension, took me 5 straight hours to beat on hardcore.
XWcnoLH.jpg

tanuki

Had some friends over tonight to play this, and it's instantly arrowed its way into my all-time favourite multiplayer games. Took everyone a few rounds to pick it up and three hours later, we were already digging into the finer details of the game. It's such a beautifully-tuned game; super easy to pick up, but with clever, strategic gameplay, and each round is paced fast enough so nobody is waiting long to jump back in. It also somehow manages to feel old-school, yet totally modern at the same time.

Mario Kart 8 was the game everyone game to play; this was the game that held our attention the longest.

Everyone should try and organize gaming sessions and check this out. The fact that it's a free game on PS+ just blows me away.

wowlace

This game is murder. Tried co-op with a bud the other night, never seen 2 grown men act up so much. I think we got better with the drink. Still only passed 4-5 levels in about 2 hours. Hard as fuck.

My friend and I just had a blast playing that game. We managed to get to the level after King's Court then we stopped. Took us about an hour and a half I think...Truly an astonishing game.

shield

Oh yes! I just got the Thief's Badge trophy for beating 30 diamond times in Trials mode, but there's no way I'm gonna get my total best time under 2 minutes. That's ridiculous

I just downloaded this game, smoked a joint with a buddy and then played it for the first time.
Truly amazing stuff.
We were both in complete awe when a piece of the moon flew off and had a new set of levels.

Peltz

Playing this game solo on Hardcore only. Never even bothered on Normal difficulty. This game is my favorite PS4 title and my personal GOTY so far. I love how smooth it is.

And no, I don't think online would be possible with this type of game. There's too many projectiles which require split second timing to catch or avoid. It'd desync too much, and screw up the experience.

I adore this game. I played through normal by myself and had a tough, but rewarding time completing it. I had a buddy come over to play it and he fell in love with it instantly. We played all 14 levels on hardcore and completed them.

Real shame it doesn't unlock trophies for both people though. And I do think online would be nice. Its too much of a pain in the ass to get 3 other people to my house to play. I'll never get the 20,000 multiplayer rounds trophy without boosting. (It's glitched anyway)

So aside from the few gripes, this game is fucking awesome.

Ferrio

Banned
Whoever suggested to me the "One arrow, no chests, exploding corpses" variant, thank you. By far the most fun I've had with this game.

I would, without hesitation, put this up there with games such as Bomberman, Deathtank, Aki's N64 wrestlers, and Top Shop as some of my favorite "get together with friends and play" games of ever.

Wow. That's some strong language there. Bomberman has a magic ability to make me ditch my regular loathing of PvP gameplay. I'll have to move this up on my queue.

Peltz

Wow. That's some strong language there. Bomberman has a magic ability to make me ditch my regular loathing of PvP gameplay. I'll have to move this up on my queue.

It's not hyperbole.

It feels like Balloon Fight + Bubble Bobble + the speed and air dodge mechanic of Super Smash Bros. Melee + the tightness and wall jump of Super Meat Boy + UT low gravity instagib all rolled into one sweet little package.

The multiplayer will be played in my house for years to come.... I just need to pick up a few more PS4 controllers for this game.

This weekend was the first time I have had a chance to play this game with a friend. I had heard nothing but praise for the game, however just looking at screens etc. I couldn't really see the appeal (although I did love the look of the game). After 3 or 4 rounds we were hooked and I can't remember the last time I had this much fun with offline multiplayer. I can only imagine how good this is with 4 players and a few beers.

SerTapTap

Liking it more than I thought I would. Those "play versus matches" trophies are almost offensively bad though. Bronze for 20,000 matches, and "0.0%" of players have even gotten 1,000 versus matches in. Had some fun unlocking the characters and playing through quest mode, though the RNG based unlocks are unpleasant.

Not sure I'd say it's better than bomberman though, at least for pick up and play. Without bots there's no team play for playing with your friends that don't play it much, and it's very skill based. I'll happily launch Bomberman with a friend that rarely plays it, but it would feel cruel to play with someone who hasn't played towerfall.

Stopdoor

One variant style that I hadn't thought to try before: just turn on as many crazy variants as possible, like always scrolling, speed boots, slippery floors, exploding corpses, etc. all at once. Barely any skill involved but it's a huge laugh.

Top Bottom