• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall: Ascension |OT| (PC, PS4) 2014's Best Reviewed T_____fall game

Mrbob

I bought this game on PS4 anyway because it does look cool. Still hoping for online play.

Although this game is not plasma friendly at all. I don't like having two giant static borders on each side of the screen.

I bought this game on PS4 anyway because it does look cool. Still hoping for online play.

Although this game is not plasma friendly at all. I don't like having two giant static borders on each side of the screen.
Me neither. Although I have LED.

The game is super pixelated but still really fun.

Looks awesome on Vitas screen tho.

This game is seriously a gem, though. People who are concerned about the lack of single player content can rest easy. I think Matt Thorson spent the majority of the time solving that particular problem with Ascension.

The only thing is, it's an old-school concept of content and replayability. Looking at the Archives, there are 12 levels (themes? each level has several maps and its own unique set of rules and powerups), but only 8 of them are unlocked at the start.

I'll explain what I know about unlocking stuff:

Beating all the available quests on Normal will unlock the fire stage.
Playing multiplayer will unlock the moonstone stage. I went through each stage once, and then started randomizing the stages. The second time I played on the first stage, a cutscene played after one of the rounds ended.
I don't quite recall how I unlocked the sunken city stage, but the quest for that ended with the Prancing Puppet archer boss fight, so I unlocked him.
The cypher solution is hidden in the 3 unlockable stages.

Big spoiler:

The cypher solution is left up right, right right down, down up down, IIRC.
It unlocks the Ascension stage, which took me 80 attempts to finish last night (on normal!)

Jigolo

I myself have been playing with the analog stick. You can control the arrows faintly after they've been shot and doing it on the D-pad just felt weird to me

BlueMagic

Well, I didn't play that long in free-aim, so that's fair. I just preferred eight-way. To each their own. I'll try a free-aim match tonight. Do you turn homing off?

I love how customizable this game is.

Yeah, it's a really good aspect for keeping multiplayer games fresh!
Most of the time we are not turning homing off because it gets pretty intense, having the freedom of free aiming plus homing. Seems like that will be the norm for me and my brother.

Jachaos

Love this game. Also find it pretty funny how, on top of all the other date/name similarities between this and Titanfall, both games also heavily rely on fun traversal gameplay as part of what makes them great.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't even notice the borders until I streamed some gameplay and someone pointed them out, lol.

Jigolo

I don't think this is true, except for drill arrows, and only after they hit a wall.
Your right. Arrows have little auto aim; controlling them after being shot is impossible. But damn I finally made to frostfang keep and the drill arrows add another dimension to the game.

This game is literally the most I've had playing a game in a long time.

Had 4 guys over tonight and we played it for 5 hours straight even though I have dozens of other games to play from.

I cannot endorse this enough, deserves all praise coming it's way.

Grabbed this game yesterday (PS4) because I love retro games and it seemed to have good MP/Co-op. I have been playing with my 7 yr old. It is a bit harder than I imagined ha. When you play 2 player quest and your partner isn't good and steals your lives (also bringing more enemies I think being 2 player) it is extra tough. It is fun but I might have to play by myself to get through these levels. Sorry kiddo

OuiOuiBa

Have played a little more and discovered two useful details with the controls:
-
You can "cancel" a dash by dashing again. This prevent the usual slowdown consecutive to a dash
-
You can cancel/grab arrows by dashing at the right time

The controls really, really feel right and great :)

And yes, arrows have a little auto-aim to them, proper aiming would be too hard without it (especially considering the game doesn't use analog)

gadwn

Bought it for PS4 yesterday and god damn this game is freaking awesome. Probably the best local multiplayer game I have played in years. Seriously, buy this game if you have some friends that don't hate games.

Only got two complaints that I hope will get patched. The auto-aim on arrows should be a option, it's not that bad but I hate auto aiming in general.

And there really should be an overall score count thingy after all versus games, should be easy to implement.

Jigolo

Playing without auto aim would make the game really difficult. Too difficult. I think it'd diminish the fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game, but it's so hard. I'm stuck in the fire world on normal difficulty and I'm halfway through the first world on hardcore... And I dunno if I'm gonna get better at this game. I think I've peaked already, lol.

Anyone use Wii U pro controllers with this game? More specifically, what buttons are used on the controller?

I have the Mayflash Wireless adapter and want to use 4 wii u pro controllers but have to use Dinput in order to sync 4 at the same time. I want to make sure all the buttons will work.

So i took the dive and was able to play with all 4 controllers wirelessly using Dinput on the adapter.

However, the Jump and Shoot buttons were mapped incorrectly where Y was jump and B was shoot. The game doesnt allow custom controls in the options so does anyone know how i could swap the buttons?

So glad I picked this game up. I don't have any local multiplayer going on but the single player stuff is mad addicting.

I wish there was a leader board connected to your friend list though.

Jachaos

I love this game, but it's so hard. I'm stuck in the fire world on normal difficulty and I'm halfway through the first world on hardcore... And I dunno if I'm gonna get better at this game. I think I've peaked already, lol.

I've kept trying and am close to completing the game on Normal now. It is quite hard though. I'd say focus on eliminating enemies as soon as possible so you don't get overwhelmed. Use dodge a lot. And use screenwrap a lot. Most of my kills have simply been me continuously falling down the screen and aiming to land on enemy heads and resuming my freefall.

Jeels

Yup. When you remote play on the vita it disconnects the dual shock 4, so when you turn the dual shock 4 back on it ask who is using the controller. So just make sure to login as a different profile that's being used on the vita or login as a guest.

OMG, this justifies it for me. I already have a Vita so there's a second controller. Price of the game dropped from 75 to 15 suddenly...

And on the 36th try I finally got past Mirage. And I am still playing the normal difficulty.

This has rocketed up my list on the PS4. If fact it might be my favorite game thus far.

Mr. Fix

Really bummed out about the lack of online. I noticed in the trailer it said that there are 50 new mp maps - do we get access to these in the single-player campaign?

hawk2025

After playing it Solo all weekend, the quest mode alone is worth the $12.

Challenging, varied, lots to do and unlock. Any local multiplayer I'll be doing is icing on the cake.

Soi-Fong

Will buy it this upcoming weekend. I already have two PS controllers from having NBA 2K14 and playing MP on that and have another friend who has a PS4. Add to that I have a Vita which can also be used as a controller and I'm set!!

ultron87

Got to play some 3 person FFA today. It was really great.

Also, tried a bunch of quest mode. Fucking purple roll-ey guys on the ice stage.

ReaperXL7

After playing it Solo all weekend, the quest mode alone is worth the $12.

Challenging, varied, lots to do and unlock. Any local multiplayer I'll be doing is icing on the cake.

I agree, I was worried about a purchase because though I have friends to game with we can't get together as often as I would like. However I'm pretty satisfied with the single player here because it's pretty varied and challenging.

It does help that I can play 2 player with my daughter, but some of the levels frustrate her a lot. Game is a ton of fun!

Bilzac

Neo Member
I've had a lot of fun playing some local co-op with this game.
Here is a sick kill one of my buddies pulled off over the weekend. It is stuff like that which makes the game so unique and awesome to come back to.

ibkQFEfTWgxjVw.gif

OuiOuiBa

^ it looks like you ran into that arrow :D
The screen wrapping makes for quite amusing situations, it is a great feature which directly reminds me of Bomberman.

Bilzac

Neo Member
^ it looks like you ran into that arrow :D
The screen wrapping makes for quite amusing situations, it is a great feature which directly reminds me of Bomberman.

If you notice - the pink arrow that takes off the shield, falls down - and as the blue fella drops, the same pink arrow kills him. And Yes the screen wrapping is excellent!

I've had a lot of fun playing some local co-op with this game.
Here is a sick kill one of my buddies pulled off over the weekend. It is stuff like that which makes the game so unique and awesome to come back to.

ibkQFEfTWgxjVw.gif

How'd you get your gif to be that smooth? My gifs are like 15 FPS.

dLMN8R

Damn this game is fun. Had a few people over and we played for hours on PC.

For anyone who's interested, the game runs perfectly on this little piece of hardware. Just add cheap ram/disk, plug in a 360 wireless controller receiver, plug it into a TV, and you're set :)

The game improved immeasurably when we turned off auto-seeking for regular arrows.

Also: Bolt arrows are bullshit!

Soi-Fong

I want to buy it but this will most likely be a free PSN+ title in few months so might as well wait.

Wont be for a while dude. The dev was waiting for this since he prolly didnt get too many sales on Ouya.

Anyway, with the widespread acclaim, this game deserves as much sales as possible.

Just looked, not even in the top 20 on Steam. Thats just sad... Not even advertised on the front page of Steam.

Have played a little more and discovered two useful details with the controls:
-
You can "cancel" a dash by dashing again. This prevent the usual slowdown consecutive to a dash
-
You can cancel/grab arrows by dashing at the right time

The game tells you how to do that in hints after each match, as well as in the archives.

Bought it for PS4 yesterday and god damn this game is freaking awesome. Probably the best local multiplayer game I have played in years. Seriously, buy this game if you have some friends that don't hate games.

Only got two complaints that I hope will get patched. The auto-aim on arrows should be a option, it's not that bad but I hate auto aiming in general.

And there really should be an overall score count thingy after all versus games, should be easy to implement.

There is an option to disable seeking arrows under the Variants menu. I think the Archives has something like what you're looking for in terms of overall score. There are a bunch of metrics.

Really bummed out about the lack of online. I noticed in the trailer it said that there are 50 new mp maps - do we get access to these in the single-player campaign?

Single player has two modes: Quest and Trials. Trials has 3 layouts for each map. Quest only has about one layout.

The game improved immeasurably when we turned off auto-seeking for regular arrows.

Also: Bolt arrows are bullshit!

If you pay attention, you can grab them for free without even having to aim your dodge.

Wont be for a while dude. The dev was waiting for this since he prolly didnt get too many sales on Ouya.

Anyway, with the widespread acclaim, this game deserves as much sales as possible.

Just looked, not even in the top 20 on Steam. Thats just sad... Not even advertised on the front page of Steam.

Matt Thorson will get paid off this game. Even if it ends up on PS+. Sony makes a special deal for every free PS+ game; it isn't a one-size-fits-all thing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I've managed to get a little farther. I was disappointed to find out there's only one
stage in the fire world. I was expecting a whole new set of levels.
And I'm halfway through the first set of levels on hardcore. I'm dying a ton, but I'm progressing!

Oh yeah, and I played some multiplayer yesterday. So fun.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Is Towerfall still fun enough if you're playing single player? Sucks that there isn't an online multiplayer component :/

Thinking of picking it up on steam , but still on the fence.

Pop

Having a blast.

My brother and I played Headhunter for almost 2 hours the other night, was great fun.

Is Towerfall still fun enough if you're playing single player? Sucks that there isn't an online multiplayer component :/

Thinking of picking it up on steam , but still on the fence.

I've only played it solo thus far and don't regret the purchase one bit. The quest mode is surprising well thought out with a nice level of different monsters who you have to employ different tactics against.

Top Bottom