• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Townhouse or House?

The Stig

a townhouse is a terrace house in the UK. you're connected to your neighbours. if they are loud you hear everything.

I grew up in one.

NEVER AGAIN.

if you have the choice, stay away.

if you don't, sorry. :(

Ophiuchus

Banned
Given your budget and the pros and cons you mentioned, it might be a good idea to prioritize what features are most important to you. If saving on property taxes is a significant factor, the townhouse with the tax abatement offers substantial savings that could make a big difference in your monthly payments. On the other hand, if you value a larger outdoor space and the character of an older home, the house might be worth the extra tax cost.

lachesis

I'd say house. Since you are in construction, build your own after buying a piece of land you like or find an old house in a good location & build.

j0hnnix

I'm in the USA.

I make over 250k a year. I also have no debt.
My savings is enough to put down 20% with over 6 figures left over.
Single
Long term.
My family business is in Construction, so I've been doing it my whole life.
Will Ferrell Dad GIF by filmeditor

Ophiuchus

Banned
Prioritizing the features that matter most to you will definitely help you make a more informed decision. If the tax savings from the townhouse are important, it could ease some of your financial stress and allow you to allocate funds elsewhere. However, if having that outdoor space is a top priority, it might be worth considering the long-term benefits of the older home.

You make over 250K a year with no debt, and you need to ask people on a gaming forum whether you should buy a townhouse or a detached house?
I say neither, just pitch a tent, and blow the rest.

Focusing on the features that are most important to you will help you decide. If tax savings from the townhouse are crucial, they could relieve financial stress, while an older home with outdoor space may offer long-term benefits worth considering.

I came across some interesting information about the best house buying companies for cash in the UK for 2024, and it might be relevant to your situation. If you’re open to considering selling your current place or if you decide you want to go the cash route for a quicker transaction, these companies can help streamline the process and may provide you with better flexibility when negotiating your next purchase. This could help you snag that townhouse you like or make a more competitive offer on the house you're considering, especially in such a sought-after area. You can find more details about it here.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

If you can realistically afford either I’d say house but my younger self would have said townhouse. As an elder millennial I realize neighbors suck and nicer pre-upgraded new townhouses may be asthetiy nicer but the quality is shit. I’d much rather get a good deal on an old house and do my own upgrades over time.

Top Bottom