• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toxic algae bloom blankets Florida beaches, prompts state of emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_nezlqzkSAS1ti67m2o2_1280.jpg

If only we had listened to what this movie had to teach us.

Violet_0

Banned
which animal primarily consumes algae? Release them in large numbers, then find their natural predator and release those to get rid of them again ect
it's how they handle things in Australia

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sen. Marco Rubio called on President Barack Obama to declare a state of emergency to help businesses harmed by the massive algae bloom fouling some of Florida’s southern rivers and beaches.

Rubio with the party of "No big government" and "Less to no regulation" wants a hand out from the government for his states fuck up.

zelas

Famassu

which animal primarily consumes algae? Release them in large numbers, then find their natural predator and release those to get rid of them again ect
it's how they handle things in Australia
They are toxic. No such animals, I don't think. Even if some animals can tolerate the toxins, they probably don't eat the algae.

[boots]

Funny how stuff like this always occur in the places that always applaud the loudest when republicans talk about getting rid of the EPA and regulations

They probably eat that shit for breakfast.

Hey thanks, I almost didn't hit my daily quota of racist bullshit today

There are different outbreaks of algae bloom. Some maybe connected with contaminants, but more have been linked with climate change.
https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/climate-change-and-harmful-algal-blooms

Its not contaminants, its nutrients for the algea and they come fron unfiltered fertiliser which come from agriculture or whereever. The Temperature is the factor which regulates the speed of the growth. No nutrients no growth, doesnt matter how warm the water is. Both lot of nutrients and high temperatures worse case. More algeas less oxygen. Less oxygen more fish, aquatic life dies. These are the ground rules, note, i didnt looked these specific outbreak and algea up.

Wilsongt

Some people say a lot of it is waste from sugar production that makes it go berserk. Any truth to that?

Iron, nitrogen, and phosophorous, with iron being the most limiting nutrient for green algae blooms. Give enough iron and you can have massive blooms like this.

Jasup

This is a satellite picture of the Baltic Sea taken in 2005. On the left is Sweden, on the right the Baltic states and on the very top you see southern Finland.
It's blue algae (cyanobacteria) btw, and the blooms are a common occurence during summers, especially during warm summers.

It's not a very pleasant thing to have these.

Nikodemos

This is a satellite picture of the Baltic Sea taken in 2005. On the left is Sweden, on the right the Baltic states and on the very top you see southern Finland.

It's blue algae (cyanobacteria) btw, and the blooms are a common occurence during summers, especially during warm summers.

It's not a very pleasant thing to have these.
They've become more common due to a) agriculture both using more chemicals and factory farms becoming more widespread; b) warmer waters, accelerating growth and breeding; c) a lot of species that would normally keep them in check getting depleted either by fishing, pollution, climate change (again), or general anthropogenic habitat destruction.

ResoRai

yeah, that is what will ultimately end us. Slime like that.
At least it's not lvl 1 slime.
GigaSlime1.png

Seriously though that is some nasty looking stuff. Don't think I've seen anything like it before.
How harmful is this to humans? I ask because of that pic of people swimming in it.

You would think people would be smart enough to not dump that shit in the water. Smh.

I have a neighbor that I saw dumping oil and who knows what else down the sewer after he was done working on his car. I did call the city - not because I'm a dick but because fuck that noise.

I work on my cars all the time. I just bought some 5-gallon containers for cheap, fill those then take that shit to my local shop to have it recycled. Like, a couple of containers with spouts is cheap as fuck.

Why are people so stupid?

Hint.

No choice and it was hot iirc.

No choice? What? In what scenario could you ever have NO CHOICE but to swim around some toxic slime?

Where I live, we don't even go in the ocean if there's too much seaweed. And it doesn't take much for there to be "too much."

That image is heinous. I can't imagine swimming in that. Or standing in that. Or being anywhere touching that.

You would think people would be smart enough to not dump that shit in the water. Smh.

I have a neighbor that I saw dumping oil and who knows what else down the sewer after he was done working on his car. I did call the city - not because I'm a dick but because fuck that noise.

I work on my cars all the time. I just bought some 5-gallon containers for cheap, fill those then take that shit to my local shop to have it recycled. Like, a couple of containers with spouts is cheap as fuck.

Most of the offenders are coastal golf courses and farms that use tons of fertilizer that run off into the sea. It's a problem in most warm water states, including Hawaii.

Not motor oil but this reminded me of this story when a sewer in London got clogged with 15 tons of grease

The only state of emergency Rick Scott is going to call for is if someone who works for him blames it on global warming. That person will promptly disappear, and we'll likely see them rolling up with the slime-tide sometime next year.

Alternatively, surprise, Nickelodeon is coming back!

Nikodemos

Most of the offenders are coastal golf courses and farms that use tons of fertilizer that run off into the sea. It's a problem in most warm water states, including Hawaii.
Golf courses! Fuck them and the pricks who use them.

The absolute worst offender. A bunch of land and a fuckton of fertiliser/herbicide runoff for absolutely 0 utility. They're even worse than factory farms; at least those produce cheap meat.

Savitar

That is beyond disgusting. I still can't believe some people actually going swimming through such things.......the non toxic ones that is.

That is beyond disgusting. I still can't believe some people actually going swimming through such things.......the non toxic ones that is.

Eh, it's alright. Florida climates relegate every lake to that green-blue water with light to medium algae covering and it's alright, as long as you don't go drinking it and shower afterward. Algae is very good for the ecosystem.

THIS algae, however, being chemical run off garbage algae, is bad for everything involved.

Normal algae growth is a sign of a healthy lake or pond and shouldn't be seen as 'disgusting,' and the kinds that cause itches are predominantly found in places you shouldn't swim in, anyway.

The high nitrogen content of MOST of Florida's algae is wonderful for plant and water life, so we can't just c lean it all out of the lakes at the risk of damaging the ecosystem...but when it gets hot and you don't want blisters THROUGH your sandals at the beach, a lake is the next best thing.

Plus, they don't require you to drive from Central Florida to a beach, 2 hours plus away.

The fact that we see more poisonous and or toxic algae growth now is due to pollution, and the odder temperatures have caused extra algae growth on our lakes, but we're not generally shuffling t toxic garbage into them, either.

Think they'll shoot you for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom