• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

I'm surprised to see anyone here share this opinion with me lol. Estelle was fine, even good at times in FC because Joshua was there to balance her quirkiness and wackiness and zaniness, but SC got a bit too insufferable for me.

Kevin is definitely the main reason why I'm at all interested in this game. He's been great so far.

It was not a popular opinion of mine when I was posting in the community as I was beating the games.

I feel like I'll have to post my "Estelle is amazing" rant again. Or just link it.

I think what you outline there is actually a strength of the whole Trails in the Sky series rather than one specifically for Estelle. The series has great writing/translation and in general the characters are well thought out and grounded if not eccentric. Estelle in particular just grated on me, gameplay wise she was my least favorite in combat and the incestuous-esque relationship with Joshua didn't really help or make sense to me.

Thoraxes

Just under 1 day till I can live in a world where 5 Kiseki games have been released/lovingly localized in English.

What a time to be alive.

Fou-Lu

Estelle in particular just grated on me, gameplay wise she was my least favorite in combat and the incestuous-esque relationship with Joshua didn't really help or make sense to me.

I really don't see a relationship between individuals who didn't live together until they were 11 years old, have no blood ties, and have always seemed to have an attraction as incestuous.

I really don't see a relationship between individuals who didn't live together until they were 11 years old, have no blood ties, and have always seemed to have an attraction as incestuous.

Yea seriously. It never feels like they act like siblings from the get go and they've only known each other for 5 years, anyway.

Not nearly as incestuous as the Auslese family.

75% genetic match after 1200 years >.>

Kvik

I feel like I can go through a rubbish game as long as the music was composed by Falcom Sound Team JDK.

EricB

NFpLOQu.png

Get. Out.

I'm well aware that a lot of people like the soundtracks, but they've just never done anything for me. I particularly detest the town themes, and I never really came across a single track that made me want to stop and just listen.

I consider music to be one of the most important parts of a game--especially in RPGs--and it pains me that I don't like the tracks in these games (so far) but I just haven't found anything to like. I guess that one mysterious theme that plays at night when something strange is about to happen is alright.

Any recommendations? Maybe I missed something good (the one you linked to is one of the ones that actually kind of annoys me. It reminds me of Japanese convenience store muzak. Which is fine, but not what I am looking for here).

This really snuck up on me. I loved the first two games. I will double dip(again) if this is available on literally anything else too.

Erheller

Not nearly as incestuous as the Auslese family.

75% genetic match after 1200 years >.>

I mean you can argue that humans and fruit flies have a 50% gene match. Genetic match is kind of a meaningless term. Are you comparing the raw genome data between individuals (this will give you a genetic match of like 99.5% on average)? Are you comparing the similarity in the protein-coding portions of the genome (significantly less than 99%)? Are you comparing the differences between important housekeeping genes? Is it differences in mitochondrial DNA?

TiTS saying that there's a 75% genetic match means, well, pretty much absolutely nothing unless it comes out and defines exactly what it means by a genetic match.

I'm well aware that a lot of people like the soundtracks, but they've just never done anything for me. I particularly detest the town themes, and I never really came across a single track that made me want to stop and just listen.

I consider music to be one of the most important parts of a game--especially in RPGs--and it pains me that I don't like the tracks in these games (so far) but I just haven't found anything to like. I guess that one mysterious theme that plays at night when something strange is about to happen is alright.

Any recommendations? Maybe I missed something good (the one you linked to is one of the ones that actually kind of annoys me. It reminds me of Japanese convenience store muzak. Which is fine, but not what I am looking for here).

What kinds of tracks do you like from other RPG's?

Kvik

Falcom Music Channel got you covered: FC, SC

As for recommendation, don't you like Sophisticated Fight? I've never seen a single person from KisekiGAF dislike it. My personal favourite is Fateful Confrontation.

Ogawa-san

As for recommendation, don't you like Sophisticated Fight? I never see a single person from KisekiGAF dislike it.
I find it straight up elevator music and made me wonder if Falcom jdk had outsourced it. Same goes for SC's Strepitoso Fight.

Nyoro SF

The diversity of Kiseki soundtracks is one of their strong points, so I would be very mystified by someone saying they don't enjoy at least a few tracks.

Not even the Recapture theme? The way the trumpets are accompanied by the synth and work towards crescendos along with the cymbals is just beautiful.

Also Sophisticated Fight is an excellent theme. Calling it elevator music is really crazy. Elevator music doesn't have one of the best drum lines in battle music history nor those wonderful pitch changes. Elevator music is repetitive and mindless and doesn't have nearly as fast of a tempo.

I find it straight up elevator music and made me wonder if Falcom jdk had outsourced it. Same goes for SC's Strepitoso Fight.
Eiichiro Yanagi, who worked at Sound Team jdk under a different name (Takahide Murayama), did Sophisticated Fight to capture the kind of quickly modernizing and carefree world Estelle and Joshua were fighting around in. I'm not sure who did Strepitoso Fight, which is still upbeat but a bit melancholy, but they're catchy, well-developed themes which fit the action up until late in SC when you're hearing alternate themes more often. Yanagi/Murayama also worked on Gurumin tracks like Sight of Silence and post-Falcom tracks in a similar style (spot the live-style drumming in both Sophisticated Fight and these examples!).

FC's got a really diverse Falcom soundtrack for its period, even if many tracks aren't impressive compared to what Sound Team jdk did for Ys VI, Gurumin, and even Xanadu Next from that era. Getting away from my tangent, FC and SC don't offer much in the way of exciting area themes, but 3rd has a much more intense offering from musicians like Ryo Takeshita:

Jade Corridor
Golden Road, Silver Road (the build-up's worth it)
Phantasmal Blue Flowers

I wouldn't listen to these too much since we're about to have 3rd, lol.

Thoraxes

What if the game sucks?

Saya will save us.
The diversity of Kiseki soundtracks is one of their strong points, so I would be very mystified by someone saying they don't enjoy at least a few tracks.

Not even the Recapture theme? The way the trumpets are accompanied by the synth and work towards crescendos along with the cymbals is just beautiful.

Also Sophisticated Fight is an excellent theme. Calling it elevator music is really crazy. Elevator music doesn't have one of the best drum lines in battle music history nor those wonderful pitch changes. Elevator music is repetitive and mindless and doesn't have nearly as fast of a tempo.

Sophisticated Fight is one of the greatest battle themes of all time. That shit is absolutely magical in every way imaginable, and i've listened to it for thousands of hours now.

Sara

I'm actually not a fan of Sophisticated Fight or Strepitoso Fight, either. Sorry!
That said, 3rd's music was far more to my liking in that way, battle BGMs included.
I feel like it has the best (new) music of the trilogy.
Though... unfortunately for anyone who sees FC's and SC's music as elevator music (an opinion I don't share, even if I don't like the FC/SC basic battle themes), there is a lot of FC and SC music used in this one too, of course.
The new music is just fantastic, though, especially the various dungeon and battle themes.

The only real negative to FC and SC music still in 3rd is how easily players will notice the difference in synth quality between older and newer tracks. But there's something to be said for how much variety this soundtrack gives you, new tracks included.

Eylos

Banned
I'm sad, i dont have a PC to play trails (Notebook sux, Sound card is broken and i dont want to spend in a New notebook) :(

PSP version How i miss you :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've always though Sophisticated Fight is a garbage battle theme. When I heard the battle themes in the Crossbell and Cold Steel games I was blown away by how much better they are. 3rd's is also a lot better even if it keeps the laid back feel to it.

Baliis

I still say people who don't like Sophisticated Fight are crazy. Best regular battle theme in the series, it's such a good song.

Determination of Fight better captures the feelings I expect from FC/SC's Fight themes, but it's not the best comparison since Takeshita was in top form at this point. I'd rather listen to Sophisticated Fight than regular Seize the Truth! because it's more pleasant on the ears over time.

vkrili

I won't fault anyone who mods it out with the Zanmai version, even if I do like the original. The energy in that one does great work in the early game where it's needed.

Sophisticated Fight would be fine as a special battle theme or something, not a song you hear so often. It's not something that lends itself well to being repeated very often.

Eila

I'm sad, i dont have a PC to play trails (Notebook sux, Sound card is broken and i dont want to spend in a New notebook) :(

PSP version How i miss you :(

Your notebook has a broken soundcard or it just sucks but works fine? If so post the specs, it can likely run the game just fine.
Maybe consider an USB external sound card/bluetooth?

Eylos

Banned
Your notebook has a broken soundcard or it just sucks but works fine? If so post the specs, it can likely run the game just fine.
Maybe consider an USB external sound card/bluetooth?
The First, its a Dell vostro 3500 from 2010, i have to retire this old notebook one day. :/ I dont want to spend in this old machine,but i dont have the money for a New one, so i think i Will have to wait for when i get a New PC Next year sadly

Thoraxes

Sophisticated Fight would be fine as a special battle theme or something, not a song you hear so often. It's not something that lends itself well to being repeated very often.

100% disagree. I could listen to it on loop for an eternity, and I very seriously mean that.

And in all flavors of variation, too.

Baliis

I won't fault anyone who mods it out with the Zanmai version, even if I do like the original. The energy in that one does great work in the early game where it's needed.

I'll agree with you there, I love the original and the Zanmai version is even better. Gets me so pumped up, I'm literally listening to it right now.

Nyoro SF

I LOVE the Zanmai version of Sophisticated but I couldn't replace the regular version with it. It would feel out of place to have this super bombastic theme playing when you're beating up little dust ball monsters lol

For my FC replay I've been using the Zanmai version (since I'm never using that disappointing Super Arrange variant) and it's just too funky, in a good and bad way really. I definitely think Sound Team JFK and the main dev team should do a better job of using multiple battle themes for regular encounters throughout upcoming Kiseki titles, but the one-standard-theme approach works well enough.

Eila

The First, its a Dell vostro 3500 from 2010, i have to retire this old notebook one day. :/ I dont want to spend in this old machine,but i dont have the money for a New one, so i think i Will have to wait for when i get a New PC Next year sadly

1st gen i3/i5? Should run the game just fine, and look way better than it would've on PSP. And an external sound card is pretty cheap dude. Like less than 10 bucks cheap. But I guess you have to have headphones/external speakers. Not sure if you used your integrated speakers for everything.

Kvik

I feel like the Zanmai is better used for Cold Steel series, but I'm someone who prefers Original over remixes.

Zin lives off how glitched TGK is plus Distend, I think; I never found much of a use for taunt on him or Estelle except in edge cases.

Games aren't going anywhere! Though if you're on PC and haven't already, check out the Cheat Engine turbo button stuff to make your own 'speed up' button; there's no animation skip in the first two games.

Not that I am complaining, I apparently have 14 hours played (maybe idled once or twice, I dunno how accurate) on the save game file and I feel like I've barely progressed. I'm investigating
burglaries in south bose.

Xenoflare

As someone who played the Trilogy the 3rd is the title that I always would replay. The soundtrack aligns with Ys origin in time and style and I loved that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
opqMZFn.jpg

Getting closer.

Top Bottom