• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

preta

Does anyone know if a Macbook Air would be able to run these games? :(

Yes, absolutely. They are from 2004, 2006, and 2007 respectively, and were not graphically demanding even then.

They only natively support Windows, though, so you'd have to work around that. Not too hard.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yes, absolutely. They are from 2004, 2006, and 2007 respectively, and were not graphically demanding even then.
This game came out the year I graduated high school. Wow.

preta

So there's no English PSP version?

:(

Nope. It was a literal impossibility for XSEED - Falcom has returned their PSP dev kits, so XSEED have no way of getting them to reinsert the translation. Even if it were possible, the PSP version would likely lose them money, and even barring that, it'd still be inferior to the PC version due to lacking a certain important piece of content.

Gonna wake up tomorrow and have TC waiting for me. That's a great, great feeling.

It's called The 3rd, and not TC, for a reason - it's not a direct continuation of SC the way SC was of FC.

Was the first game actually called Fc?

Yea.

ERzLvYM.jpg

Arthea

I'm still a bit worried about 3rd being harder than SC even which was harder than FC already. I found SC pretty hard at parts, not like impossibly hard (too hard on hard, though),even on normal sometimes.

I really want to go back and play all three games in English, but I think I'll probably have to play the 3rd Evo first (I like the Evo versions).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I promised myself that I would finally sit down and churn through Trails in the Sky FC & SC once 3rd was nearing release. Two previous attempts over the years and twice I've gone about 3-4 hours in to the beginning of FC and sit on it. Not sure what it is. I love dialogue-heavy games and the overall aesthetics of Trails is incredibly attractive.

Don't get me wrong though as the overall series is lovely and charming and I'm probably among the dozens who want the Gagharv Trilogy to see a localized PC release as well.

Nonetheless I'll grab 3rd tomorrow morning and start to pull myself away from Elder Scrolls Online to finally plough through three games that I've longed to complete on the trot.

UberTag

I promised myself that I would finally sit down and churn through Trails in the Sky FC & SC once 3rd was nearing release. Two previous attempts over the years and twice I've gone about 3-4 hours in to the beginning of FC and sit on it. Not sure what it is. I love dialogue-heavy games and the overall aesthetics of Trails is incredibly attractive.
I stalled out in my initial attempt to plow through FC as well.
Don't let the initial slow pacing deter you.
I returned back to the series unimpeded once it hit Steam and have nothing but adulation for it now.

My best recommendation is that you push through until the end of FC Chapter 2. That should be enough to get you hooked.

I think the big problem with those early opening hours is that not only is the story in slow build mode but the battle system is rather rudimentary. The complexities of orbment builds don't truly sink in until you've unlocked a lot of orbments and collected a number of quartz. Once you get some group attack spells in play - most notably Aerial on Schera and White Gehenna on Joshua - battle pacing gets a little more bearable.

theofficefan99

I love the battles in FC actually (at the very beginning of Chapter 2 currently), and while I love the gameplay, the visuals, the characters, I definitely am forcing myself to push onward because absolutely nothing interesting has happened 13 hours in and it's kinda driving me insane. But yeah heard things finally get interesting at the end of this chapter.

Arthea

I love the battles in FC actually (at the very beginning of Chapter 2 currently), and while I love the gameplay, the visuals, the characters, I definitely am forcing myself to push onward because absolutely nothing interesting has happened 13 hours in and it's kinda driving me insane. But yeah heard things finally get interesting at the end of this chapter.

FC is a slow starter but when it pics up steam, oh boy
pun intended

Shahed

I don't think I've ever used a buff or debuff spell: I should remedy that.
I don't think it was something I ever used to do. Most RPG's I got through using the standard attack, magic and special skills. I never really used items or status buffs. It wasn't until I played Persona 4 (my first SMT) and how that game forced me to learn the benefits of ATK up, DEF down and properly coordinating atracks together at the right time that I did more than the standard stuff.

Ever since then I've gone into every other RPG with the whole buff/debuff thing in mind, and overnight all the games got monumentally easy and trivial. A lot of people underestimate how useful they are or find them too much busy work. But they make a massive difference. Over the course of both Cold Steel games I can probably count on one hand the number of bosses I didn't have a constant STR +50% buff going, and it was usually pairee with SPD +50% as well.

vkrili

No matter who you think is the strongest party member, the truth is that Sieg is the most overpowered one by far

UberTag

No matter who you think is the strongest party member, the truth is that Sieg is the most overpowered one by far
Sieg is broken and needs to be nerfed.
Also, Antoine's stats need to be rebalanced. That kitty boasts uber-endurance.

wrowa

FC is a slow starter but when it pics up steam, oh boy
pun intended

Honestly though, while there is a crazy payoff at the end of FC, you shouldn't play these games waiting for that. That's just not what these games are primarily about. Both FC and SC are all about the journey: it's about the world you'll get to know better with each passing moment and about the characters that slowly break out of their tropes.

For people who don't find the idea of a slow-paced adventure very appealing and who'd rather have a more exciting, faster story, well, chances are these games just aren't for them.

Ascheroth

Honestly though, while there is a crazy payoff at the end of FC, you shouldn't play these games waiting for that. That's just not what these games are primarily about. Both FC and SC are all about the journey: it's about the world you'll get to know better with each passing moment and about the characters that slowly break out of their tropes.

For people who don't find the idea of a slow-paced adventure very appealing and who'd rather have a more exciting, faster story, well, chances are these games just aren't for them.

Absolutely.
The Trails games do have huge pay-offs, but they're not about getting to those pay-offs as fast as possible.

Durante

Yeah, I agree. The story pacing is deliberate and works well for what it is.

I do think a bit of speedhacking does wonders for the gameplay pacing though.

Ascheroth

Oh definitely, I don't think I could have made through the last chapter of SC without the speedhack without burning out on it. (Played the rest of the game normally, but I suppose that's the reason why I needed a break of some weeks/months a few times :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yep, really hoping someone cooks up a cheat engine script for that. I love these games but thy're really reaaaaaaaaally slow. They could do well with in-game speed sliders.

I am so so glad this isn't as long as SC. I love this series, but the mammoth length of games lately is overwhelming me! I still have Cold Steel 2 after this....

Ascheroth

A little PSA to possible lessen the inevitable outcry in half an hour:
The game does not unlock in 30 minutes, but in 1:30 hours.

----
Now debating whether to buy it on Humble or Steam:

Humble:
+ Steam + GoG version (EDIT: I'm wroooong, it's Steam OR DRM-free version)
+ 'save' an extra 5%
- doesn't count towards the top-seller list
- review doesn't count towards the ranking

Steam:
+ counts towards the top-seller list
+ review actually counts towards the ranking
- no extra 5% 'saved'

Tonton

RPG Site has a review up

A little PSA to possible lessen the inevitable outcry in half an hour:
The game does not unlock in 30 minutes, but in 1:30 hours.
I hate this Steam counter I let myself get fooled

Whoa, Humble gives keys for both?
They give a Steam key and their own DRM-free version, not sure if it's really the same build as the gog one
Actually I'm not even sure if they still give both or make you choose now

Ascheroth

Whoa, Humble gives keys for both?
Scratch that, it's Steam and/or DRM-free depending on the games, not GoG.
Trails seems to be an 'or'-deal.

Wait, can you even use your Humble wallet credits for buying bundles or is that Store-bound?
If it's the latter I'll just go full Steam ahead.

Gu4n

[/B]
Yep, really hoping someone cooks up a cheat engine script for that. I love these games but thy're really reaaaaaaaaally slow. They could do well with in-game speed sliders.
After the high-speed Evolution iterations, I'm ready for a slower paced Trails where orbment setups actually matter again.

zakujanai

It must be almost time now?

Maybe I'll go back and finish Persona 5 one day but I'm definitely dropping it to get on this immediately. I'm even going to go inside on one of our 5 sunny days for this year (England) as soon as it's up.

Top Bottom