• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Super Bowl Teaser for Age of Extinction is up!

Looking REALLY GOOD so far. Please, Mr. Bay, don't screw it up with immature sexual jokes and racist robots.

Wouldn't be a Michael bay movie without that.

It'll be a terrible, insulting, cynical piece of shit with amazing visuals, just like the last two. Hopefully Mark Wahlberg will be in full The Happening mode and provide some laughs.

I will buy the shit out of those dinobots.

I will not commit to that until I see if the Dinobot toys are as godawful as that First Edition AoE Prime disaster.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's faith in Hasbro that is questionable at this point.

It's the first Leader-sized Grimlock ever made, so here's hoping it doesn't blow. Apparently his eyes change colors based on whether he's being ridden by an Autobot or a Decepticon, if reports from Toy Fair UK are accurate.

JaseMath

2JoABp6.jpg

Made some big changes, most notably to Bumblebee (who might be my new favorite) and Rodimus. Also added Ironhide and Cyclonus. I'm actually quite happy with how Cyclonus turned out.

Oh, I just realized that the third aligned continuity novel came out last week. I thought the first two (Exodus and Exiles) were decent enough, but this one is written by a different author. But hey, it's only like 4.50 for the Kindle version, so hell, I'll read it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Looks like we got us a G1 homage.

RCMLqo6.jpg

Or...Magnus? The face does look a tad different from Movie Prime's usual.

Beth Cyra

Looks like we got us a G1 homage.

RCMLqo6.jpg

Or...Magnus? The face does look a tad different from Movie Prime's usual.

Nah, way to similar to Prime for it to be movie Magnus, despite my love affair with the idea of them being Twins, it would never happen in the movies. Plus given how blue Prime is now, they couldn't use a twin Magnus because they would need to be nearly identical given Magnus' heavily blue color scheme.

Cool if there will finally be a Prime G1 homage though. Would like to have the Tranformation sound back and used more then just one time as well Bay.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well, in that case I would have assumed Magnus would be the grey/white dirty one, but it looks like that version of Optimus popped up for one shot in the trailer. He seems to have identical legs to the DotM CG model, but the chest is definitely different due to being a flatnose. I would guess that he's in a similar but altered truck mode at the beginning of the movie because the Autobots are not humanity's favorite people right now.

Beth Cyra

I think that is much more likely to what this is. However if that is the case, I really wish that Bay could have gone all the way with it though. Not full movie, but if they are going to have him in a form that is a nod to G1, then give him the color scheme and permanent faceplate to match.

Then when he goes to his "normal" Bay form go back to Bay design aesthetics.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Leaked images of Generations 30th Anniversary Leader Jetfire. Pretty much everything you could want from a Jetfire/Skyfire homage.

9Za0cEp.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
The packaging with the little illustration of the action gimmick is pretty awful, as is Hound's facial hair. Grimlock looks pretty neat in all his various toys though. Most of the Dinobots do, Strafe being the most questionable of the lot.

EDIT: Holy shitballs, they really did do Skybyte for Generations!

Savitar

wE53JSO.jpg

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your bots. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing, yes?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
wE53JSO.jpg

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your bots. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing, yes?

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

wDad2tt.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
All the newly revealed Generations figures at Toy Fair are hand-painted prototypes. Not necessarily representative of the final paint choices.

Faiz

I was really into the new Jetfire till I realized the canopy on the chest is a fake. Kinda kills it for me.

NEO0MJ

I was really into the new Jetfire till I realized the canopy on the chest is a fake. Kinda kills it for me.

Lots of transformers toys have been utilizing such tricks now. While it might improve the look of the toy and making coming up with transformations easier I can't help but be disappointed.

Faiz

Lots of transformers toys have been utilizing such tricks now. While it might improve the look of the toy and making coming up with transformations easier I can't help but be disappointed.

Yeah, it's not like it's anything NEW exactly, but it certainly has been an increasing trend. It feels like there's really no excuse for it on a large collector-oriented figure like this.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, it's not like it's anything NEW exactly, but it certainly has been an increasing trend. It feels like there's really no excuse for it on a large collector-oriented figure like this.

There's actually a very good excuse for it: So they don't get sued by Harmony Gold. HG aggressively pursues legal action against any perceived "infringement" of Robotech in the U.S., because that's pretty much all they do now. One of the key elements of the visual trademark is apparently "a plane cockpit that becomes the robot's chest." By having a "fake" cockpit become Jetfire's chest, that allows them to make the plane mode's cockpit far more Valkyrie/G1 in appearance while hefting a well-deserved middle finger at Harmony Gold.

Savitar

Sad but true.

It's their way to get around that BS, it's kind of sad as Harmony Gold did introduce Robotech/Macross to many of us as kids but nowadays they're largely dealing with real estate and bleeding any company they believe they can get money from.

Faiz

There's actually a very good excuse for it: So they don't get sued by Harmony Gold. HG aggressively pursues legal action against any perceived "infringement" of Robotech in the U.S., because that's pretty much all they do now. One of the key elements of the visual trademark is apparently "a plane cockpit that becomes the robot's chest." By having a "fake" cockpit become Jetfire's chest, that allows them to make the plane mode's cockpit far more Valkyrie/G1 in appearance while hefting a well-deserved middle finger at Harmony Gold.

While HG is very suit happy, yes... it's not like they got sued for Classics Jetfire, which did have an actual cockpit chest. And seekers have had cockpit chests from day 1 too. That's not enough. And the robot mode isn't substantially more Valkyrie like than the Classics Jetfire, so I have a hard time believing the combination is enough either.

It's lazy design, guys. They do this all the time.

Jobbs

Banned
Is it safe to assume that any of these masterpiece Red Alerts on ebay in the $40 - $60 range are knockoffs? I've been wanting an MP Red Alert, and any of the stomachable prices I fear are going to be knockoffs.

Yes.

There is a reprint coming at the end of the year though, if you're patient.

I missed MP Sideswipe, so I know that waiting-for-a-second-run feel. Thankfully with all the other MPs due this year (or close to it), waiting shouldn't be too bad.

Jobbs

Banned
Yes.

There is a reprint coming at the end of the year though, if you're patient.

I missed MP Sideswipe, so I know that waiting-for-a-second-run feel. Thankfully with all the other MPs due this year (or close to it), waiting shouldn't be too bad.

what else is coming this year? I know about wheeljack, who is my favorite autobot and looked really cool in some prototype picture I saw.

Wheeljack is a new mold.

There's a a few repaints in G2 sideswipe, Soundblaster, Takara Acid Storm, the potentially legit American Sunstorm, that bluestreak redeco and year of the horse prime if you want to count that.

I'm not sure if Bee will be announced before December or not.

I realize most of those are repaints though, and might not be what you were expecting.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
While HG is very suit happy, yes... it's not like they got sued for Classics Jetfire, which did have an actual cockpit chest. And seekers have had cockpit chests from day 1 too. That's not enough. And the robot mode isn't substantially more Valkyrie like than the Classics Jetfire, so I have a hard time believing the combination is enough either.

It's lazy design, guys. They do this all the time.

It's not lazy design. Classics Jetfire doesn't look like a Veritech. HG doesn't sue them for the Classics Seeker mold, either. The issue here is that Leader Jetfire's alt-mode is very obviously patterned off the VF-1S. If they were being lazy the fake cockpit would look like the real one. It does not, it looks like Skyfire's chest from the cartoon. This is a decision that allows the alt-mode to be a more accurate homage.

Faiz

It's not lazy design. Classics Jetfire doesn't look like a Veritech. HG doesn't sue them for the Classics Seeker mold, either. The issue here is that Leader Jetfire's alt-mode is very obviously patterned off the VF-1S. If they were being lazy the fake cockpit would look like the real one. It does not, it looks like Skyfire's chest from the cartoon. This is a decision that allows the alt-mode to be a more accurate homage.

HG sued over the SDCC skystriker repaint and that didn't even transform. I have a hard time believing a fake cockpit for robot mode that looks different makes that big of a difference.

Look as often as they trot out the fake alt mode element in robot form cheat I can't give them a pass on this. They do it as a design cheat all the time, and it doesn't work for me. You need to distinguish it from an actual Valkyrie, fine, but do it without faking the transformation.

Ponn

Banned
I need that jetfire in my life. I had a friend in elementary school with rich parents and he had Jetfire, Shockwave and Omega Supreme. Was so jealous of him, I need to heal old wounds with this.

Chorazin

Yay, a Transformers toy thread! I just got the itch to collect again, and a fancy 41 megapixel on my cell phone, so now I have a place to post pics/excuse to play with my toys.

Picked up Generation's Springer and FoC Soundblaster over the weekend, and have a BBTS order with Beast Wars 2 Starscrem and BB, all the Decepticon data discs for Soundblaster, and Terminus Hexatron on the way. :-D

So whats the next Masterpiece?

I only have Grimlock, but I really want Rodimus and Megatron. One tax return day I'll hunt those down.

Mike M

Nick N
I saw the Cybertron Supreme Starscream in G1 colors at TRU yesterday, they wanted $110 for it.

Great toy, but that's nearly double the asking price of the original for nothing more than a redeco : /

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh wow, this topic exists, awesome! To those who own them, how's the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen MP mold? Pretty tempted to get a Prowl at some point. I watched Baltmatrix' review and it looks great.

Chorazin

I really want MP Grimlock, but not at those prices. Might get FoC Grimlock and that King Kick Butt custom head to tide me over.

Top Bottom